Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times

Advertisements

I find it funny when atheists bash religion and claim it holds us back technologically and industriously. Have you ever thought that might be a good thing? The rate of technological, industrial, and even reproduction is going to cause a world wide issue more than likely in the next 100 years or so.

So is religion holding us back or saving us from our own destructive ways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I find it funny when atheists bash religion and claim it holds us back technologically and industriously. Have you ever thought that might be a good thing? The rate of technological, industrial, and even reproduction is going to cause a world wide issue more than likely in the next 100 years or so.

The problem is what the stupidity of man's religion causes him to do with the technology.

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. -Richard Dawkins

Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:

The thing is, with many aspects of life if you are not religious science is the only alternative. So, if you are not religious, you are bound to be attracted to science, unless you are a moron who doesn't care about anything around him, who doesn't ask why things are the way they are etc.

And since one can't decide if one is religious or not (if you don't believe in gods, there is nothing anyone can do about it, not even the person him or herself), there is no point in blaming people who are into science.

That said, sometimes we do not dare to set ourselves limits, which can be a problem. We don't need to do everything we are capable of doing. It's like with sex

Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:

What's even funnier is people like you who think atheists are the only people who say that. Religion has always held humanity back and continues to do so to this day.

Science and technology are the only hope we have to solve the problems you cite. I'm far more concerned about what religious zealots will do to the world in the next 100 years.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 PM

Thinking about it, would I want to live like Amish? Heck no

Old 10-17-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The problem is what the stupidity of man's religion causes him to do with the technology.

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. -Richard Dawkins
Yes, because the religious build the atomic bomb, WMD's, Bio-warfare... Yup all things only used by the religious....give me a break. Scientists used them... not religious.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The thing is, with many aspects of life if you are not religious science is the only alternative. So, if you are not religious, you are bound to be attracted to science, unless you are a moron who doesn't care about anything around him, who doesn't ask why things are the way they are etc.
So you are saying that someone who does not question the why and hows of life, and isnt religious in a moron? I would call this a person who has lived to just be and exist with things the way they are.

Quote:
And since one can't decide if one is religious or not (if you don't believe in gods, there is nothing anyone can do about it, not even the person him or herself), there is no point in blaming people who are into science.
nothing wrong with science, only the amount of praise it gets. Same goes for religion.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
What's even funnier is people like you who think atheists are the only people who say that. Religion has always held humanity back and continues to do so to this day.

Science and technology are the only hope we have to solve the problems you cite. I'm far more concerned about what religious zealots will do to the world in the next 100 years.
As the hold religion has on the society grows weaker and weaker over the years, I am not too worried about what it will do in the next 100 years.

I am worried what technology will do over the next 100 years. With the amount of computers, cell phones, and game consoles increasing in homes people are caring less and less about the outside world.

It's cold as heck outside right now, but I am sitting on my porch with a cup of coffee and my laptop. I am enjoying and waking up with the day. In a bit I will be heading out to go hiking and enjoying nature up close.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that someone who does not question the why and hows of life, and isnt religious in a moron? I would call this a person who has lived to just be and exist with things the way they are.

nothing wrong with science, only the amount of praise it gets. Same goes for religion.
Well, maybe the word was a bit strong. But really, isn't a person who doesn't want to know about the nature of things and processes basically just an animal? Why have such a powerful brain if you don't use it?

I have seldom heard anyone praise science. It is at the core of modern life, though, and as such to be found everywhere.

I do think we should slow down a bit. Things are evolving too fast for a lot of people. But the financially and scientifically ambitious elite is drawing the whole world into their obsession.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Thinking about it, would I want to live like Amish? Heck no

Me either, but I think we need to slow down the techno race and embrace nature are we are intended to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality