Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
As for me, I went from agnostic to Christian. The truth was revealed to me, for which I am totaly undeserving and eternaly grateful.
Ah! thank you. so the truth was revealed to you?

Interestingly enough, The Lord God revealed the truth to ME! and that truth is Agnosticism. A truth that MUST be shared with the world, For it is GREAT AMAZING NEWS. I am totally undeserving of having been chosen by the Lord of Righteousness for this, But ever thankful and BLESSED.

So please outline to me how your process of abandoning the story of Agnosticism for the story of Christianity went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Hey there, I just wanted to know some of your stories and reasons of why you chose to abandon the humble beauty of confessing agnosticism. I really want to keep this a discussion about Agnosticism and why it's wrong... So if you are Agnostic try not to needlessly express your admiration for the liberating awesomeness of Agnosticism. One of my threads about Anti-Agnostics was chuck full of pro-Agnostic comments and tangents from anti-agnostics and some tangents from Agnostics themselves. Though some of the Agnostics and Anti-Agnostics were helpful in delivering some arguments against Agnosticism... I never really invited Ex-Agnostics, So I'd like to know how you feel and what you think. So anyone who wants to talk about either Agnosticism's lacking or Ex-Agnostics and their possible feelings and experiences is welcome to comment.
I am not sure what direction you intend. Agnoistic to atheism or to theism?

I was raised in an atheistic home, but was really more of an agnostic during my teens. Then I had some solid spiritual experiences in my early 20s that could not be "explained" away. Also it seemed illogical that the Universe just happened. Five years later Ibecame a Christian.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am not sure what direction you intend. Agnoistic to atheism or to theism?

I was raised in an atheistic home, but was really more of an agnostic during my teens. Then I had some solid spiritual experiences in my early 20s that could not be "explained" away. Also it seemed illogical that the Universe just happened. Five years later Ibecame a Christian.
This is perfect, thank you. What will you describe as "solid spiritual" experiences? a bit of an oxymoron there, but I'll hear your arguments against Agnosticism as "the truth of our sentient nature" out.
I want to hear from all Ex-Agnostics, including atheists and theists and whatever else might be other than agnosticism, perhaps mathematicians who believe math is objectively true and unchangeable because things like 1+1 ALWAYS HAVE TO equal 2, etc. Ah yes, and Deists. And people that might believe that God never has existed, but WILL exist in the future.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:00 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I'm listening to a local( non syndicated) radio talk show where the radio host is interviewing two athiests who staged a protest against religion. They chose a Halloween Parade which they also criticized as having negative influences on children and as being a silly concept in general. One was dressed as a zombie Pope, the other as a zombie Mohammed. One was allegedly attacked by a supposed moslem( described as middle eastern looking). They both ridiculed the idea of the holiday, religion in general and the reactions of those who they apparently offended. Its 1270 AM Laura LaBeau out of Lebanon Pa.
I don't care what they believe but I don't think they really have a just cause to interfere with a parade staged by and for the public. I would say the same about a Christmas parade or a religious Holiday of any kind. Why must they try to force their views on others and ridicule their beliefs? Why belittle others to try to bolster their own position. Let people celebrate what they want as they want. I think if somebody dressed up as an ape and wore a sign saying : "Athiest" that would be just as offensive.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Ah, number 3 interests me. Because I think its pretty simple: Agnosticism is true, while Theism is just a story, and Atheism is just a rejection of stories that relate to the Character portrayed in theist stories. Atheists accept other stories though, like Naturalism or Physicalism.
Well, good for you, you have an opinion. Unfortunately, it's very uninformed. Please do some more reading and thinking.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I was briefly agnostic after deconverting from Christianity, and now I'm a weak atheist. I just don't think it's possible for gods to exist, but I do not think that it is possible for any human being to SURE that there are no gods, so I am not a strong atheist.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
And a surrealist without further consideration for the success of your understanding for the meaning of your emotions. May I add.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I never believed in a god and thought of myself as 'don't know but searching' for a long time. I then came out thinking, like many others that I was agnostic but not atheist as I couldn't be that sure.

When I had it explained to me that atheism was non - belief arising from not being sure, I learned that I was atheist. I haven't 'moved' at all, I've just been straightened out on the semantics.

For those who have been convinced by personal experiences to embrace some theism or other, that they now 'know' or have persuasive evidence is their view. I just reckon that they shouldn't expect me to be persuaded.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
northstar22: That makes you an agnostic atheist, like most atheists.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I'm an ex agnostic, now I'm atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality