Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
What I mean is that if the LGBT community organized a church and their religious practice was to allow them to marry. Since it would be a religions practice, technically the government would have to allow it under the first amendment.

The current laws are an obvious contradiction to the first amendment. We (USA) have become the very monster our founding fathers risked their lives for. One of those risks was defying the Church of england and become a religious freedom country. He are so far from religious freedom it's honesty quite sad. Religion and politics have no business being mixed.
I see what you're saying but I think a lot of people would try to ensure that doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
I guess there is in America. The defense of marriage act... What a lame law. Prime example of a violation of the 1st amendment.
No, though there was a movement to amend the US Constitution to include the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman. Failed very quickly.

But now the ignorance and hate of religion is attempting to implement the same legislated hatred by amending individual state constitutions. There will be an initiative in my state (NC) next May to amend the state constitution with the ignorance and hatred the festers like a cancer within the deliberate ignorance and visceral hatred that is christianity.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:17 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No, though there was a movement to amend the US Constitution to include the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman. Failed very quickly.

But now the ignorance and hate of religion is attempting to implement the same legislated hatred by amending individual state constitutions. There will be an initiative in my state (NC) next May to amend the state constitution with the ignorance and hatred the festers like a cancer within the deliberate ignorance and visceral hatred that is christianity.
Next year in MN as well. Hopefully, it will fail (and I suspect it will, though it wouldn't shock me if it didn't).

Happily, while such amending of state constitutions can slow things down, they are trumped by rulings from the United States Supreme Court, which is eventually how same-sex marriages will become legal in many states (and I would guess most states).

Prediction:
The next four states to remove their prohibitions on same-sex marriage will be Rhode Island, Maryland, Maine and California.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:28 PM

488 posts, read 554,943 times
Quote:
I am just curious, if the LGBT had it's very own "religion" and established "churches" all around the country. Under the 1st amendment wouldn't the government have to allow Homosexual marriage?
Anybody can enter into any kind of religious marriage they wish as long as the religious organization allows it. That doesn't mean that it will be recognized as a civil marriage as far as the government is concerned. Polygamist marriages are practiced by some fundamentalist religions, but they still are not considered legal - in Texas practicing bigamy is a felony, and it is actually a higher degree felony than stealing somebody's car.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
As happens frequently in these types of threads, we get lots of posters that are conflating legal and religious "marriage".

The government is already powerless to stop same-sex religious "marriage" under the 1st Amendment. The problem is with the lack of LEGAL recognition of same-sex marriages in many states.

Hopefully we are on our way to letting consenting adults, regardless of their gender, be legally married. Period.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
As happens frequently in these types of threads, we get lots of posters that are conflating legal and religious "marriage".

The government is already powerless to stop same-sex religious "marriage" under the 1st Amendment. The problem is with the lack of LEGAL recognition of same-sex marriages in many states.

Hopefully we are on our way to letting consenting adults, regardless of their gender, be legally married. Period.
We are.

Ten years ago, civil unions in one state (Vermont) were very controversial. Now, we have same-sex marriage in six states and the District of Columbia and civil unions are available in five other states.

Public opinion has reached the tipping point where it is pretty much split down the middle, while ten years ago it was firmly opposed.

The past, current, and future trends and outcomes are very clear. The only real question is the timetable: sooner or later. Sooner is certainly preferable, but full nationwide same-sex marriage is inevitable.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Next year in MN as well. Hopefully, it will fail (and I suspect it will, though it wouldn't shock me if it didn't).

Happily, while such amending of state constitutions can slow things down, they are trumped by rulings from the United States Supreme Court, which is eventually how same-sex marriages will become legal in many states (and I would guess most states).

Prediction:
The next four states to remove their prohibitions on same-sex marriage will be Rhode Island, Maryland, Maine and California.
Well, if the Supreme Court rules on this and supports same-sex marriage, all 50 states will be required to allow them whether they like it or not.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, if the Supreme Court rules on this and supports same-sex marriage, all 50 states will be required to allow them whether they like it or not.
Of course-- that's what I said in my second paragraph.

But there is no pertinent case that will reach the United States Supreme Court in the next two years, and I expect each of those four states I listed as being reasonably likely to enact laws allowing for same-sex marriage by the end of 2012.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:09 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
I think it will be close here in the Moderator cut: bible belt. I expect a full court press by the fundy churches as they advertize their ignorance and hatred in billboards, mailings, and TV spots.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-04-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I think it will be close here in the Moderator cut: orphaned belt. I expect a full court press by the fundy churches as they advertize their ignorance and hatred in billboards, mailings, and TV spots.
The problem is that the election will be held on May 8, the date of the primary elections when the GOP will be choosing its presidential and gubernatorial candidates. And both campaigns will feature competitive races for GOP nominees and relatively uncompetitive races for the Democratic nominees (assuming Perdue runs again, which seems very likely at this point)-- giving a boosted turnout for those who generally support banning same-sex marriage.

It would be great to see a win on the issue in a Southern state, however!

Either way, it's a long, gradual, slow process... unfortunately! (at least until the USSC decides the issue once and for all)

Last edited by june 7th; 11-04-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality