Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Objective facts are not subject to perspectives, be it Christian or something else. Since there is no evidence to support the religious notion of hell, and since hell is traditionally the place where one's god(s) send one's enemies, you cannot claim that telling someone that they will go to hell is not a hateful act.
Sure I can. And unless you can read minds, you can't tell me that ever person who ever said that they believe that someone will go to hell if they don't believe, hates the person they a saying it too.

It can be said in a hateful way, and yes, as I said, some people who claim to be Christian certainly are hatefull (there are probably far too many of those types of Christians), but it can also be said as statement of their belief without actually hating the person who they are having the conversation with.

I can not provide "evidence" of what thoughts are in my brain. But that does not mean that those thoughts aren't still there.

Just because there is no "evidence" does not necessarily mean it does not exist.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Religion is the worst of human inventions. Religions suck!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,666 times
Quote:
I don't see where it was alleged that all Christians did those things. The fact is that Christians did do those things, and I have no doubt whatsoever that if left to their own devices, some Christians would do it again.
Yes - SOME.
Characterizing the actions of a very diverse group by SOME members actions is silly. I believe this is why Moslem apologists assure us that Islam is a religion of peace and shouldn't be judged by the actions of SOME members at 9/11.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Erm, not like what they represent? What does a man of color represent? I'm sorry but I have to completely disagree with you on this point. Their declaration was not only an act of bigotry, it was a statement of hatred, not only of black people, but of anyone who associates with them (i.e., the man's white wife).
Okay, bad example, maybe. Personaly, I don't think a black man or any person for that matter, can be assumed to "represent" anything without getting to know them.

My point though (put more simply) is that just because I don't like you, doesn't necessary mean that I "hate" you.

I don't like how my sister acts and sometimes I choose not to be around her, but that does not mean that I hate her.

And by the way...so anybody who thinks interracial marriage is a bad idea is assumed to be hateful?

How about the argument that a parent might not want to marry outside of their race, simply because they know that in doing so, they would most likely be subected to the type of behavior you mentioned above?

My best friend is in an interracial marriage. I love my friend AND I love her husband and her daughter. But, I would still rather that my daughter marry within her race, so that she does not have to endure the nonsense that my friend has had to endure. Does that make me a hater? I don't think so.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,666 times
Personally, when i wish someone "Merry Christmas", that's what i mean. When i wish my other acquaintances "Happy Hanukkah", that is what i mean. To me, using "Happy Holidays" face-to-face shows laziness and a lack of respect for my friends individuality. Believe me - they appreciate the specificity.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Can you name instances in which atheists have persecuted Christians? Please be specific.

Keep in mind that non-believers account for some 5 percent of the population in the United States, whereas Christians account for about 80%.
If my persecution, you mean the following definition : To oppress or harass with ill- treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ...

I've seen it on message boards several times. Do I really need to go out and find an example for you to believe me? Do I really need to take the time to find the "evidence". I bet if I tried (which I'm not inclined at this moment to spend my time doing) I could probably find examples on these message board right here - I haven't been a member long enough to say that with 100% certainty, but it's probably a relatively safe bet.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I don't see where it was alleged that all Christians did those things. The fact is that Christians did do those things, and I have no doubt whatsoever that if left to their own devices, some Christians would do it again.
I guess i'm missing the point.

Some Christians have done horrible things.

Some of every group have done horrible things.

Does that mean any person affiliated with any group where SOME of the members did something bad is also bad?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:28 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
McDonalds and Accident Lawyers are much more in my face with billboards than Christians ever are. I don't like any billboards, but that's America's dominant scenery.

Come down here to the bible belt.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,694 times
Atheists and christians are both equal opportunity offenders. Their hypocrisy is great, but consistent. Atheists say they use logic but only accept logic that is in favor of their views, christians claim to accept everyone for who they are, yet condemn those that do not believe as they do.

Sadly I can say I have been a Christian, and atheist. Now I am a agnostic and apologetic for both atheism and theism.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:58 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Personally, when i wish someone "Merry Christmas", that's what i mean. When i wish my other acquaintances "Happy Hanukkah", that is what i mean. To me, using "Happy Holidays" face-to-face shows laziness and a lack of respect for my friends individuality. Believe me - they appreciate the specificity.
Wow...Sensitive friends, or what?
I still have to say that Christians are always looking for something to whine about no matter how trivial. It's what they do best. How the hell someone saying happy holidays is an attack is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality