Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 03:31 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,876 times

Advertisements

In Theory theism is just about being a good person. And in theory atheism is just about empiricism.
But between the theory and the actual practice there is a rather sizable Gap.
I can no longer turn a blind eye to this Gap. That is why I can no longer consider myself a theist.
Nor can I consider myself an atheist either for the same reason.

Balaam and the Nicolaitans (false apostles) pretended to be supporting the church but in reality we're just there to subvert it.
Today we call these people fundamentalists 
Fundamentalism: a movement characterized by a strictly literal (empirical) interpretation of religious texts
By that definition many atheists are fundamentalists too

Revelation 2
To the angel of the church in Pergamum write the following:
...But I have a few things against you: You have some people there who follow the teaching of Balaam, who instructed Balak to put a stumbling block before the people of Israel so they would eat food sacrificed to idols and commit sexual immorality. In the same way, there are also some among you who follow the teaching of the Nicolaitans.

Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you:
For many shall come in my name, saying, I (Jesus) am Christ; and shall deceive many.

“To the angel of the church in Ephesus, write the following:
‘I know your works as well as your labor and steadfast endurance, and that you cannot tolerate evil. You have even put to the test those who refer to themselves as apostles (but are not), and have discovered that they are false.

Pope: Fundamentalism is a sickness that is in all religions
"Fundamentalism is a sickness that is in all religions," Francis said, as reported by the National Catholic Reporter’s Vatican correspondent, Joshua McElwee, and similarly by other journalists on the plane. "We Catholics have some -- and not some, many -- who believe in the absolute truth and go ahead dirtying the other with calumny, with disinformation, and doing evil."
"They do evil," said the pope. "I say this because it is my church."
"We have to combat it," he said. "Religious fundamentalism is not religious, because it lacks God. It is idolatry, like the idolatry of money."

Only 2 groups of people take the Bible literally.
Hardcore fundamentalist atheists and hardcore fundamentalist Christians.
Wolves and wolves in sheep's clothing 

Atheists arent stupid.
Indeed, like the serpent, they are more crafty than any beast of the field.
They know that people are going to do the opposite of whatever they tell them they want them to do.
That is the real reason why they relentlessly attack and ridicule fundamentalism.
Why else would they be so obnoxious about it?
The truth is they don't care whether you become a Fundamentalist atheist or a fundamentalist theist.
Just as long as you become a Fundamentalist something.

"Beware," Jesus warned them. "Watch out for the Leaven (all-or-nothing thinking) of the Pharisees (Theists) and that of Herod (Atheists)".
A little leaven leavens the whole lump.

All-or-nothing thinking is like a computer virus. Once you are infected it affects your whole mind.
one way they infect you is by making you angry 

Taking the bad with the good is sometimes a good idea but not if it means eating food that you know has been poisoned

So if I am no longer a theist nor an atheist then what is left? In theory all that's left is Buddhism and the middle path. But unfortunately even this has been subverted by fundamentalists

Religion: The only winning move is not to play
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 04:00 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,180 times
The only WINNING move is to be a liberal theist because Jesus Christ was/is a liberal.
Actually follow HIS Teachings instead of the lies that the conservative fundamentalists tell everyone that He taught.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
...snip...

Personally, I agree.

But I think some religious folks can play because they know their limits and don't get in over their heads -- so to speak.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:29 PM

301 posts, read 296,014 times
Quote:
Fundamentalism: a movement characterized by a strictly literal (empirical) interpretation of religious texts
By that definition many atheists are fundamentalists too.
No. An Atheist simply does not believe in a god or deity or creator. Nor does he believe souls were transported here in spaceships that look like 737s. Not believing in Santa Claus does not make one a snowman fundamentalist.

Quote:
Only 2 groups of people take the Bible literally.
Hardcore fundamentalist atheists and hardcore fundamentalist Christians.
Wolves and wolves in sheep's clothing 
Again. Atheists just don't believe in god or the resurrection or any other miracle in the bible.
We know the bible well so that when Fundamentalist Christians try to put religion into government, or schools or textbooks instead of true science we can show that the book contradicts itself, encourages slavery, rape, genocide, etc and can keep all religions separate from government

Quote:
So if I am no longer a theist nor an atheist then what is left? In theory all that's left is Buddhism and the middle path. But unfortunately even this has been subverted by fundamentalists

100% agree with your last sentence. For me, I consider myself an Agnostic Atheist. I don't believe there is any type of god or Deity but I know from science you can not prove something doesn't exist to people that believe in something solely on faith.

Words mean things. Being an Atheist does not make one evil the same way being a Christian doesn't make someone a good person.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-24-2016 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
The only WINNING move is to be a liberal theist because Jesus Christ was/is a liberal.
Actually follow HIS Teachings instead of the lies that the conservative fundamentalists tell everyone that He taught.
Or better yet, read the Bible for yourself and decide.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I certainly second this recommendation for all those with an above room-temperature IQ and at least a secondary-school education.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:36 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Personally, I agree.

But I think some religious folks can play because they know their limits and don't get in over their heads -- so to speak.
I hope they have has much power as a local youth soccer club does. Engineers should have more power.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That's what did it for me. I'd suggest just read Genesis, and then skip to the Gospels. I'd suggest four bibles and read each in comparison, but just a read through should do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality