Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:58 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times

Advertisements

Here is a story by Chip Brogen-- author, teacher, former pastor. I just found it on The School of Christ website (without looking for it!) and I think it's perfect for this discussion.

Dismantling the Religious Machine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
I just listened to "Welcome to the Machine" by Pink Floyd. The Religion Machine ... the seven-headed monster upon which Mystery Babylon sits ... could it be mechanical? Could it be the Religion Machine from Brogen's story?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:59 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Oh wow an upgrade, Darwin is dead, long live Dawkins LoL

What everyone else said but you are probably assuming too much that Dawkins holds the holy grail of what all atheists believe. Not true.

Religion will dismantle itself as the younger generation become educated in real science and learn to differentiate between folklore and facts. The conspiracy fears that atheists want to abolish religion is a fallacy. We speak facts and dismiss the folklore by pointing out the inconsistencies and failures to deliver, highlight it is a ponzi scheme of the highest order and folk will eventually become simply non observant believers which in my opinion is probably where most folk are.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Your link is to a theist website so really does not follow your OP of atheists wanting to dismantle. There are many folk like this guy and vary in sects of folk like the JWO folk that reject all of Paul's teachings, the unis, the cyber church etc.

They all still hold onto the myth in one way or another and essentially reinforcing our stance that the xian religion is a man made construct. Some folk have a herd mentality and need to be led by someone, anyone. It is only the few that delve deeper and research like we did that eventually end up as non believers. Folk are lazy. I know, for awhile I was a sort of cyber teacher but all they were seeing was me trying to rationalize that which was impossible to rationalize. My following was not big but when I started my own forum, I took quite a few with and now many of these folk are pantheists or deists, definitely not fundies.

The road out is fervent bible study alone and w/o a guide. Plus you have to have the courage to go onto sites where you never were before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality