Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:20 AM

10 posts, read 10,617 times

Advertisements

Seriously, is this what modern religion has come to nowadays? I find it weird that people interpret the bible as saying not to judge because, why is it acceptable to condemn racists, televangelists, etc. as people? I mean, they are still in the same ball game as the rest of us, aren't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 01:16 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianGoose1 View Post
Seriously, is this what modern religion has come to nowadays? I find it weird that people interpret the bible as saying not to judge because, why is it acceptable to condemn racists, televangelists, etc. as people? I mean, they are still in the same ball game as the rest of us, aren't they?
Condemn? Do you support racists and bigots (televangelists)?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
An equally compelling question: "Why is it acceptable to permit (that which is impermissable?")

Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
I don't think it IS acceptable to condemn. I think (for reasons unknown to me) people take whatever their subscribed belief is and then mold it into very personal beliefs. Some Christians are very judgmental and condemning of people who do certain things. Some Christians are more open minded and leave the "condemning" to God.

The same applies to other religions as well.

And as for the non-religious. Well, we know they don't leave the condemning to God, but some are more open minded than others. I don't think religion necessarily dictates how judgmental people are.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 AM

If condemnation is unacceptable, that means everything is acceptable. Think about it, people!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
If condemnation is unacceptable, that means everything is acceptable. Think about it, people!

Is it ok to condemn the concept everything is acceptable?

Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Is it ok to condemn the concept everything is acceptable?
Another way of expressing "Everything is acceptable" is "Do what thou wilt," which is satanic. So yes, it is OK to condemn that concept in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Another way of expressing "Everything is acceptable" is "Do what thou wilt," which is satanic. So yes, it is OK to condemn that concept in my opinion.
Simple fact of life. When something is condemned for any reason, those who believe it is acceptable will holler bias, bigotry, prejudice, judgmental etc.

To a very large degree we must live like the Romans if we want to live in Rome.

There is a difference between stating ones views and pointing at a person and saying "You must accept my Views."

Like it or not unless every person has the exact same beliefs, lives the exact same life, and is an automated puppet we will differ and one persons needs/wants will be another persons bane. To get along we need to condemn that which harms the majority.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Simple fact of life. When something is condemned for any reason, those who believe it is acceptable will holler bias, bigotry, prejudice, judgmental etc.

To a very large degree we must live like the Romans if we want to live in Rome.

There is a difference between stating ones views and pointing at a person and saying "You must accept my Views."

Like it or not unless every person has the exact same beliefs, lives the exact same life, and is an automated puppet we will differ and one persons needs/wants will be another persons bane. To get along we need to condemn that which harms the majority.
You're a wise man, Woodrow.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianGoose1 View Post
Many people totally misunderstand what the BIble says about judging ; we ARE called to judge and discern others but not to do it hypocritically --- in other words, we are not to judge someone elses adulterous behavior if we are caught up in adultery too...as an example. America used to be a nation where people DID judge and discern with the motive of helping our fellow man get back on the right track by lovingly confronting them....but today....it has turned into (twisted) Tolerance by displaying apathy toward whatever immoral behavior another willfully does. So, we have gone from 'I am my Brothers Keeper' for his own best interest and interest of civility for our Nation....to 'Do whatever you feel like doing and dont bother me with it --- to each his own, and live and let live' . Here is the accurate treatise on proper judging according to the Bible : Why are Christians So Judgmental? Doesn't the Bible Say, "Do Not Judge"

So, we SHOULD judge , discern, and even expose ALL those who practice evil in some form (immorality, corruption, apostasy, heresy, incivility, apathy toward righteousness, hedonism, sexual perversion, et al...) with the motive of helping people see the error and consequences of their chosen ways. The standard isnt OUR standard, but Gods official unchanging Standards which he implemented for our protection and welfare. Its too bad we as a nation have chosen secularization for a lifestyle philosophy , instead of the very thing we truly need ....and this applies to Christians as well as non Christians . Sadly, due to our pride and ego we will never see this much-needed turnaround .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality