Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:24 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times

Advertisements

christianity is not a failure. situational ethics is a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 08:59 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,162,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You still cannot explain why an educated, reasonable person would follow Christ, or in a more general sense believe in a Creator.
A truly educated and reasonable person wouldn't believe in Christ. Such a person would know that both Christ and The Bible are human creations based on material lifted from earlier human myths.

Belief in a creator IS reasonable as long as it is in the general sense without any assumptions of said Creator's name, personality, wants and desires, likes and dislikes etc. In other words without any "Bible" or other garbage trappings of revealed religion (creation myths, sin, saviors, Messiah, prophecies and other BS).

A Deistic concept of a Creator is rational. Belief that said Creator had to become mortal, be nailed to a cross then resurrested in order to create a loophole in a system of sin debt he initiated is not.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:41 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,988,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
The way I see it, religion was designed to provide man with a set of rules and guidelines that would lead to prosperity and growth on a personal level and as a society collectively. I believe that many of the Christian principles are good, but is the religion of Christianity too lenient? There is very little required of someone to be a christian, very little personal sacrifice. This looseness, I believe, leads people to interpret the rules their own way, and has led to a lot of misinterpretations, and corruption by people who claim to be "Christian" but really know and internalize little of what the bible says. They pick a word or a phrase here and there that justifies their personal viewpoint, and make sweeping judgements based upon it, believing that because they're Christians and it's "God's word" that they're right, though all words in the Bible are subject to interpretation and must be read in context. Does Christianity need a revision, to make stricter laws for people, in order to keep out the sinners who have no intention of reforming?
Just because most people are lazy and won't "take up their cross" and follow the path of Christ doesn't make Christ or His Church a failure. It's just a sign of the failure of mankind. Remember, Jesus specifically told us that "not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord'" will actually make it Heaven. The Scriptures tell us "many are called but few are chosen," so don't be disheartened by the fact that many who claim the title "Christian" fail miserably to live up the standard set forth by Jesus, the Apostles, and the Saints.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,819,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
A truly educated and reasonable person wouldn't believe in Christ. Such a person would know that both Christ and The Bible are human creations based on material lifted from earlier human myths.

Belief in a creator IS reasonable as long as it is in the general sense without any assumptions of said Creator's name, personality, wants and desires, likes and dislikes etc. In other words without any "Bible" or other garbage trappings of revealed religion (creation myths, sin, saviors, Messiah, prophecies and other BS).

A Deistic concept of a Creator is rational. Belief that said Creator had to become mortal, be nailed to a cross then resurrested in order to create a loophole in a system of sin debt he initiated is not.
Yet, millions do. Why?

Old 12-26-2011, 11:31 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,873,176 times
I did not bother reading through 10 pages so forgive me if someone already mentioned what I am going to say.
People get to hung up on rules and regulations and preaching about sin that they miss the whole point, that point is that we are suppose to live out the gospels not preach about rules, regulations and sin.

The question to be ask is not if "Is Christianity A Failure?" but what is the "Greatest Failure of Christianity"
As Jim Wallis of Sojourners says as he speaks of American Christians is that
when they don’t think and act as Christians first.

"Instead, they act first as Americans, consumers, partisans,or sports fans. This kind of idolatry can result in very un-Christian behavior. These kinds of Christians sometimes forget that we are supposed to love the immigrant, provide for the poor, and promote peace among all nations."

Old 12-26-2011, 11:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,873,176 times
I have heard many times in churches where prayer would be asked to keep the troops safe or for those troops that have died but I seldem hear anyone ask for prayer for the safety of innocent civilians and those that have died at the hands of our military; you know some sources put the death toll in the countries that we have invaded at over a million with countless numbers wounded and displaced from theeir homes.
I think at times we are to busy asking God to bless our nation while we really should be asking for forgiveness for our nation.
But you won't hear that in many of our churches because the leaders of our churches consider that to political to talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality