Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I never have. Yet, the creationists seem so convinced that creationism is true. I wonder how they can evaluate the validity of creationism.
The fact that we have been created is proof.

Evolution does not explain Genesis.

They are not mutually exclusive.

You cannot choose to be uncreated....if you believe that humans were once fish, what's the difference. We're still here all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

You cannot choose to be uncreated....if you believe that humans were once fish, what's the difference. We're still here all the same.
Good grief...Do you mean to tell me that you think genesis is literal?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No natural processes (plural) do not.

Chemical reactions (one of the process we are talking about here) occur due to the physical laws determined at the moment of the singularity.
Ok, thanks...

And what does most 'physical law' say, when you look out into space...in regards to life anyways...

(please do me a favor and don't respond to no one but me...I don't want us to get distracted by silly side issues)

(I'll be back at a later time, and look forward to learning more...)

Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Ok, thanks...

And what does most 'physical law' say, when you look out into space...in regards to life anyways...
Could you maybe rephrase this? I have no idea what you're attempting to ask.

Do you want to know the opinion of physical laws as to the nature of life?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks...

(please do me a favor and don't respond to no one but me...I don't want us to get distracted by silly side issues)
The last sentence is a double negative and does not make sense.

As for physical laws they given chemistry and chemical reactions. Without chemical reaction there would be no life.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
The "Seven DAYS OF CREATION" is an error in translation, going back to between 1,800 BC to about 5,000 BC. Days denotes "periods of time" rather than 24 hour periods. Those periods of time could well be some 750,000,000 years long. (That's 750 Million) That's plenty of time for life to begin with a single-cell organism to start out in the dirt and evolve into life today. Evolution becomes the instrument of GOD's creation.
I see this all the time, and it is just a grand demonstration of the God of the Gaps. You can feel free to keep editing your holy text and say it was mistranslated, repeatedly and ad infinitum. That doesn't change that, once again, the combined human knowledge in this world has once again pushed back the boundaries of your deity-of-choice. I'd be impressed if you could sit there with a straight face and tell me that people 2000 years ago didn't believe that an elderly father-figure of a god lived in the clouds and watched over people, that they saw it as a metaphorical ethereal presence, which is all the rage these days. Yuri Gagarin flew to space--proved them all wrong.

Quote:
The Bible we study today has thousands of errors due to faulty translation. Who are we, mortals, to limit GOD to a 24 hour day?
Well, we mortals are the ones who invented him, I guess we could do just about anything we want with his limits and constraints.

Quote:
If GOD created the universe, which planet in which star system is His standard for one day?
I'm glad you see the problem with the literal Genesis account.

Quote:
Evolution is proven science, but something created that very first spark of life.
Good thing Biological Evolution doesn't deal with abiogenesis. Come back in twenty years or less for more on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief...Do you mean to tell me that you think genesis is literal?
I think he was saying that Humans were at some point fish. I'm kind of curious what happened to my gills, you think I'd have a scar or something.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:

That is what is called a "bootstrap argument", Baron Munchausen would be proud.

There is no proof that we were "created." To conclude that based on our current existence is an post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

You need evidence that we were "created." So far no credible evidence has been provided.

Quote:
Evolution doesn't have to. Genesis has to stand on its own merits.

Quote:
Many areas of science are mutually exclusive with a literal reading of Genesis -- but what kind of idiot would think it was literal in the first place?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Love it
Quote:
Created rather than evolved is yet to be proved and so is not a fact.

Quote:
No. If anything it disproves it.

Quote:
They are somewhat contradictory and incompatible

Quote:
The difference is whether you believe Genesis or evolution.

How about you go back and do it all again, properly, this time?

Old 12-30-2011, 11:21 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The last sentence is a double negative and does not make sense.

As for physical laws they given chemistry and chemical reactions. Without chemical reaction there would be no life.
Please answer my question again...there is no right or wrong answer or response...

But in regards to life, and randomn physical reaction 'creating life'...
When you look out into space, where Billions of these randomn and physical reaction took, and have taken, and are still taking place....

What have they produced thus far, in regards to life?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
Please answer my question again...there is no right or wrong answer or response...

But in regards to life, and randomn physical reaction 'creating life'...
When you look out into space, where Billions of these randomn and physical reaction took, and have taken, and are still taking place....

What have they produced thus far, in regards to life?
Well, erm, all the diversity that exists on this planet, for starters. Beyond that, we don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality