Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
11 As they fled before Israel on the road down from Beth Horon to Azekah, the LORD hurled large hailstones down on them, and more of them died from the hail than were killed by the swords of the Israelites.

12 On the day the LORD gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the LORD in the presence of Israel:
“Sun, stand still over Gibeon,
and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.”
13 So the sun stood still,
and the moon stopped,
till the nation avenged itself on[b] its enemies,

as it is written.

The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. 14 There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the LORD listened to a human being. Surely the LORD was fighting for Israel!
And God listened to Joshua and prevented the sunset so Joshua could kill more people. Joshua needed sunlight so he could kill more folks. It is hard to believe that God breathed scripture could look like this.

Quote:
22 Joshua said, “Open the mouth of the cave and bring those five kings out to me.”

25 Joshua said to them, “Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the LORD will do to all the enemies you are going to fight.” 26 Then Joshua put the kings to death and exposed their bodies on five poles, and they were left hanging on the poles until evening.
Wow!!!!!

More killing and murder. I don't believe God inspire the above words.

What we have here is Jews writing their own history sprinkled with fantasy.

BTW, stopping the sun from moving implies that the Sun was orbiting the Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times
Yes heh heh! It was this very story that got Galileo into so much trouble with the Church once upon a time, for it is from this story that Christians derived the idea of an earth-centric universe.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
God creats life and God can take life. Don't know what to tell you dude. It's God's realm and no one elses. Buck up.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 AM

Interesting how tolerant of Genocide some people are - as long as it's ordered by their god. The more likely answer, is that humans attribute their own violent motivations to God. It's no coincidence that virtually every army used to march to war with a priest, of the same God, telling them that they were fighting the good fight. Heck - they still do this.

You sound like you read the first chapter of Job, and then skipped the rest. As usual.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Interesting how tolerant of Genocide some people are - as long as it's ordered by their god. The more likely answer, is that humans attribute their own violent motivations to God. It's no coincidence that virtually every army used to march to war with a priest, of the same God, telling them that they were fighting the good fight. Heck - they still do this.

You sound like you read the first chapter of Job, and then skipped the rest. As usual.

The irony to me is that if there was a "benevolent, loving God" how could this God be anything but outraged and insulted by it's portrayal in the Hebrew bible.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The irony to me is that if there was a "benevolent, loving God" how could this God be anything but outraged and insulted by it's portrayal in the Hebrew bible.
Moderator cut: delete[ most folk accept this as they do not read the bible in it's entirety. The OT/Hebrew god is dismissed as no longer relevant and only the specific anti gay laws, Daniel and Ezekiel are used to tie into the apocalyptic rubbish from the NT.

When one actually reads the bible and make a study of the brutality, there are only two conclusions
The brutality was 100% human
God does not exist
But sadly, theModerator cut: delete god traces lineage back through these horrid texts so he does not really get off the hook.

I always found the part of hating parents is accepted and contradicts the law they ignore that kids are supposed to honour their parents, this coming from god incarnate hisself?

Oh there are plenty of examples we can show to illustrate just how human these god1.0 and god2.0 are, yet we are told he changes not.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-15-2012 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: inappropriate reference read the stickies

Old 03-15-2012, 12:52 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
First it was Judges 19. Now it's Joshua 10. If you count up all the individual chapters of all the books that make up the Bible, you'll see that our esteemed OP has enough material to carry him through the rest of the century. (I can't wait until he starts scrutinizing each individual verse from the Book of Proverbs!)

He should apply to a local college and offer to teach a class in Cherry Picking 101.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That's exactly what the Deists said several centuries ago - they believed in a God, but that he could not have been responsible for any of the things written about him in the Bible. Thomas Paine, one of the founders of our country, was especially adamant on this point. In The Age of Reason, he states his beliefs simply:
I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life.
I believe the equality of man, and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow creatures happy.
And that's it! No dogmas, no creeds, no organized religion, no holy books. On the question of the idea that every religion claims to have a holy book of revelation:
No one will deny or dispute the power of the Almighty to make such a communication if he pleases. But admitting, for the sake of a case, that something has been revealed to a certain person, and not revealed to any other person, it is revelation to that person only. When he tells it to a second person, a second to a third, a third to a fourth, and so on, it cease to be a revelation to all those persons. It is revelation to the first person only, and hearsay to every other; and consequently, they are not obliged to believe it.
David Hume used a similar argument against Miracles and how one can determine if a miracle actually happened, when it all depends on, as Paine puts it, hearsay.

As for the Bible, as revelation of God:
Did the book, called the Bible, excel in purity of ideas and expression, all the books that are now extant in the world, I would not take it for my rule of faith, as being the word of God; because the possibility would nevertheless exist of my being imposed upon. But when I see throughout the greatest part of this book, scarcely any thing but a history of the grossest vices, and a collection of the most paltry and contemptible tales, I cannot dishonoour my Creator by calling it by his name.
Thomas Paine - The Age of Reason. It should be required reading in school next to Creationism heh heh!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:30 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
God promised to bring the children of Jacob (Israel) back to the land of Milk and honey, were Israel is today and were Abraham lived his life , and God loved Jacob ... So God sent Moses into Egypt to retrieve the Children of Israel and then Moses got to the land of Abraham and would not and could not go and fight His way through these people who lived so Moses and all the people died in the wilderness by forty years there .... So God keep Joshua and took all the sons and daughters of the people who left Egypt and Joshua would inherit the land the Jacob and Isaac and Abraham lived but they would have to fight war to take the land back as the Amorites were giants man and most were enemies of Israel......As Moses did not want to fight them, Joshua finished the job for the Lord ......

Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
God creats life and God can take life. Don't know what to tell you dude. It's God's realm and no one elses. Buck up.
Just like a true Islamist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality