Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times

Advertisements

Working with a friend today digging a trench for a sewer line this morning. I'm running the tractor mounted backhoe, and while actively digging this guy walked up beside the backhoe while I'm swigging the bucket to dump it.

He actually came from the front of the tractor, which was my blind side, and fortunately I saw him in time to stop the bucket because he walked right up to the place I was going to dump the bucket. I can run a backhoe, but have not really 'mastered' it, so this was a bit unnerving.

Absolutely stupid to walk up on any heavy equipment like that for any reason, and his reason, was he wanted to hand me a pamphlet for his church.

I explained that walking up on anyone operating heavy equipment is something you absolutely do not do until and unless you the operator sees and acknowledges you, and to keep his pamphlet.

They guy I was helping was getting something out of the truck and watched this and came up amazed that this guy just walked up on the backhoe like that.

Did his fanaticism to push his church and superstition give him god like invincibility or just too stupid to be allow out alone near traffic or heavy equipment.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Maybe he figured since you were digging a sewer trench, it would be the perfect place for a religious tract to go.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:53 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
You should have accepted his brochure with pleasure, folded it three ways, and put it where...
No wonder I'm glad to live in New England. Seems believers here keep to themselves in a typical Yankee way.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:56 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Maybe he wanted an earlier entrance to heaven to avoid the 'end times' rush.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:07 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,015 times
Religious aspect aside, some people are just dumb as a box of rocks.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,625,139 times
It's fascinating to observe the sort of discussion threads that are readily tolerated and those deemed to be inappropriate deleted/moved - very fascinating.

This thread obviously has nothing to do with religion (unless it's been proven reasonable to believe that only "religious" people do stupid things) and most certainly nothing to offer in the way of philosophy.

...it's very heartening to see that City-Data is such a well moderated web forum.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:17 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
It's fascinating to observe the sort of discussion threads that are readily tolerated and those deemed to be inappropriate deleted/moved - very fascinating.

This thread obviously has nothing to do with religion (unless it's been proven reasonable to believe that only "religious" people do stupid things) and most certainly nothing to offer in the way of philosophy.

...it's very heartening to see that City-Data is such a well moderated web forum.
Actually, CD is well moderated.

Whether we agree or not.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Working with a friend today digging a trench for a sewer line this morning. I'm running the tractor mounted backhoe, and while actively digging this guy walked up beside the backhoe while I'm swigging the bucket to dump it.

He actually came from the front of the tractor, which was my blind side, and fortunately I saw him in time to stop the bucket because he walked right up to the place I was going to dump the bucket. I can run a backhoe, but have not really 'mastered' it, so this was a bit unnerving.

Absolutely stupid to walk up on any heavy equipment like that for any reason, and his reason, was he wanted to hand me a pamphlet for his church.

I explained that walking up on anyone operating heavy equipment is something you absolutely do not do until and unless you the operator sees and acknowledges you, and to keep his pamphlet.

They guy I was helping was getting something out of the truck and watched this and came up amazed that this guy just walked up on the backhoe like that.

Did his fanaticism to push his church and superstition give him god like invincibility or just too stupid to be allow out alone near traffic or heavy equipment.
Giving you a religious pamphlet has absolutely nothing to do with superstition. It has everything to do with him giving you a pamphlet about religion.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 PM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Giving you a religious pamphlet has absolutely nothing to do with superstition. It has everything to do with him giving you a pamphlet about religion.
It doesn't matter if what the guy was handing out were coupons for pizzas, it is still stupid to walk out in front of an excavator when it's working.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
One in the same my friend, but more about the stupidity of his actions, walking up on someone operating heavy equipment, interrupting someone that was working to pander his superstition.

Was it his utter stupidity of walking up (unseen), or the arrogance that he felt peddling his ignorance warranted stopping someones work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality