Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM

166 posts, read 140,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
So you believe God does not interviene to help sick Christian who pray for relief.

And you believe the reason for this is that God prefers Christians to suffer because suffering soothes the soul and cleans it.

Interesting.

We all suffer, god has suffered, Christ suffered along with the Saints,
should we not suffer.? If it benefits our salvation. ? God does not want us to suffer, but he allows it since it is more a benefit to our salvation or a greater good comes from it.

Yes the soul does get cleansed, just like a good cry makes one feel better

Sarah

Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 AM

278 posts, read 358,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that Atheist are the fastest growing pressence on religious boards. Many Atheist will claim that they are not a movement, but the internet begs to differ; there is an absolute Atheist movement occuring on many religious boards, and I doubt that this was a planned thing, but it is a real thing. Reality is a plan of itself!- Perhaps the greatest plan.

There are two reasons for this movement denied by many Atheist as being a movement- but it is active and now occuring; The Individual sites have allowed the Atheist to express themselves, rather than lock them out; secondly, the " Desire" of the particular Atheists to express themselves. As a comparrison- I see little difference in the Religious person who expresses their belief strongly, and The Atheists people who express their unbelief strongly. So the question why are some Atheist so obsessed with Religion, can conversely be asked of why some Religious people are so obsessed with Atheism?

The way either group goes at this is of intrest, and Why?

Many Religious people are obsessed with Atheism because they view unbelief as the impetus of " Doom for unbelievers", feeling that they are headed for some eternal suffering, they look to " Turn them." At the core of this, giving religious people the benefit of doubt, they are concerned with the Atheist, more than bitter unconcern. They really care! Obviously there are some religious people who no longer care, its every human for themselves.

Conversely, there are many Atheist who view belief in gods as man made myths, and see many negatives poured into society and individuals who have these beliefs. Some of them really care about this, and some don't- its every human for themselves. And some Atheist want to " Turn this around."

The back and forth of this perculiar dynamic is a thing to behold.

The Theist has enjoyed a particular dominance on religious boards for some time, but that is changing. Now they only dominate where the Atheist pressence is controlled or simply not allowed. Some boards simply have resorted to " Sectioning them off", into their own areas, and allowing them to mix in others.

The obsession with belief and unbelief is quite strong, just as strong as the obsession to express oneself in groups. Although its not a game, I am reminded of " Chess"; one side moves against the other in a stratigic plan of dominance. To rule the board and win the case.

But obession is not a game, it is a very real driving force, a movement undenied! Your moving your peice because of your desire to win. Denied obsession is power misdirected. Power flowing underneath the lack of confessed purpose. Hypocrites exist on both sides of the board.

People playing the game, but denying that they are playing. People who are serious, but accused of playing a game.

A most perplexing revolting development.
Honestly, I just enjoy having interesting discussions about religion.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,220,345 times
Sarah, the only reason we suffer is b/c life is cruel and there are no guarantees. There is no hidden meaning to suffering and if your god deems it necessary to suffer, you have been saddled with the unwanted free gift from Verimark™

Your saviour was supposed to have finished it all, sickness death suffering yet he failed miserably as nothing changed. Still the same old same old but at least now (if you live in the lap of luxury compared to say Somalia) modern medicine and even the junk food you may consume, renders you a longer life than back then. Malaria is not a threat to your offspring like it is in Africa.

My life is probably equal to US standards but many in my country still die of simple treatable diseases.

So IMO any US person complaining of suffering really does not even know the first thing about suffering. We called it in Afrikaans complaining with a brown bread tucked under your arm.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Sarah, the only reason we suffer is b/c life is cruel and there are no guarantees. There is no hidden meaning to suffering and if your god deems it necessary to suffer, you have been saddled with the unwanted free gift from Verimark™

Your saviour was supposed to have finished it all, sickness death suffering yet he failed miserably as nothing changed. Still the same old same old but at least now (if you live in the lap of luxury compared to say Somalia) modern medicine and even the junk food you may consume, renders you a longer life than back then. Malaria is not a threat to your offspring like it is in Africa.

But there are guarantees.!

My life is probably equal to US standards but many in my country still die of simple treatable diseases.

As many do here because of poverty.(no Health insurance, etc. etc.)

So IMO any US person complaining of suffering really does not even know the first thing about suffering. We called it in Afrikaans complaining with a brown bread tucked under your arm.
You assume everyone in the US is rich, you are quite mistaken, most are middle class, and now we see the working class poor rates increase. You are not well informed and I say that kindly.

Sarah

Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,801,565 times
I always stay away from religious discussions, people get so heated up and offended, but for once I'll say something.
Why are some Atheist obsessed with Religion? And some Religious obsessed with Atheism?
I could always understand the latter, religious people being obsessed with atheism.
Followers of every religion feel that their particular path is the highway to humanity's salvation. They are the right, every one else is wrong.

Some religions are nice about it.... those poor souls will get to heaven eventually, and we'll be there to greet them. Others just say.... everyone else is damned to everlasting hell because they didn't believe what we said.
As for atheists, the religious think the atheists are doomed, and must be shown how wrong they are.

I get it - I have no problem understanding that.

I think the only reason some atheists are obsessed with religion is because in a way, they approach atheism as if it were a religion. One can say that some of them feel that they have "seen the light" and are in the right, and the religious are in the wrong and must be shown how wrong they are.

It may be something about how our brains are wired, I don't know. I just know that atheists being obsessed with religion just makes no sense to me.

Although I am an atheist, I feel that religion is a good thing if it gives one a feeling of happiness, contentment, or leads them into doing the right thing. The right thing being being treating ones fellow humans justly, honestly, honorably and in a kindly manner.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,509,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah888 View Post
We all suffer, god has suffered, Christ suffered along with the Saints,
should we not suffer.? If it benefits our salvation. ? God does not want us to suffer, but he allows it since it is more a benefit to our salvation or a greater good comes from it.

Yes the soul does get cleansed, just like a good cry makes one feel better

Sarah

I think people are a little blinded by all the verses in the bible that say God will grant your wishes, or prayers, or whatever you want to call them.

Some people actually believe those verses in the bible are true, and believe if they are suffering they can pray to God for divine intervention.

You should be warning people that God will not answer your prayers, he's gonna sit back and watch the world cleanse the heck out of your soul, sometimes in the most brutal and cruel fashion.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,381,777 times
Please learn to use the quote function. It is not hard and your posts would be easier to read.

Quote:
Medical miracles happen everyday with no explanation from your scientist.
If they happen every day then they are not miracles, they are common occurrences. However just because something can not be explained does not mean it is magic or "miraculous".

Quote:
Everything has a meaning and purpose.
So you keep saying. But repeating it over and over does not make it true. You have no evidence, or at least have presented no evidence, for this claim. You just repeat it.

Quote:
well its been thousands of years, they still cant explain Phenomenon
They explain more and more every day. We are a slow species to learn and change. Again just because we have not discovered an answer to a question YET does not mean you get to pretend you know the future.

Quote:
I dont know the future
Then stop pretending you do by making claims about what we will, or will not, discover in the future.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think people are a little blinded by all the verses in the bible that say God will grant your wishes, or prayers, or whatever you want to call them.

Some people actually believe those verses in the bible are true, and believe if they are suffering they can pray to God for divine intervention.

You should be warning people that God will not answer your prayers, he's gonna sit back and watch the world cleanse the heck out of your soul, sometimes in the most brutal and cruel fashion.

Why do you blame GOD for the evil,? when man create's it all, we are suppose to love one another and have unity. People not GOD are responsible for this horror of a so called world we live in. God allows
evil for the greater good of man-kind, as something good always comes out of bad. we are tested by faith. "we work out our faith with fear and trembling." God is a loving God.

Sarah

Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Please learn to use the quote function. It is not hard and your posts would be easier to read.

If they happen every day then they are not miracles, they are common occurrences. However just because something can not be explained does not mean it is magic or "miraculous".

So you keep saying. But repeating it over and over does not make it true. You have no evidence, or at least have presented no evidence, for this claim. You just repeat it.

They explain more and more every day. We are a slow species to learn and change. Again just because we have not discovered an answer to a question YET does not mean you get to pretend you know the future.

Then stop pretending you do by making claims about what we will, or will not, discover in the future.
Well my point was, after thousands of years of miracles etc etc, etc
they should have some sort of theory, hypothosis, thats all my point was.
Do I think they ever will have an answer. NO.

Sarah

Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,381,777 times
Quote:
Well my point was, after thousands of years of miracles etc etc, etc they should have some sort of theory, hypothosis, thats all my point was. Do I think they ever will have an answer. NO.
"Should" why? There are no rules or standards by which we can measure what our speed of advancement in science "should" be. There is nothing on which to say "After X number of years we should have made Y amount of progress". You are just making stuff up.

The fact is we are a very slow species to learn. Look at how long it is taking you to learn how to properly use the quote function for example despite it being remarkably easy for even a child to use. On top of that there have been many barriers to that learning. Economic barriers for one which prevent research. Religious barriers for others which hold back advancements. Social barriers too in terms of educating people to the pinnacle of current knowledge in order that they may push that pinnacle further. Science is a slow process too which does not help.

So no there is no "should" like you imagine in this case. We learn at the pace we learn at and no one, especially someone not at all versed in science like yourself, gets to dictate and schedule when answers are due to arrive.

All that said, I repeat the more important point: Just because something is not explained does not mean you get to make up whatever answer for it that pleases you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.