Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times

Advertisements

Yes I'm sure in the more atheistic Third World nations, like Vietnam (and I'm counting it as such due to surveys), crazy stuff never happens. Instead they do "rational violence" like the following.

"In Vietnam, the indigenous Degar people, also called Montagnards, are viewed with suspicion for their Christian faith, and the government is responsible for numerous cases of torture and abuse, while hundreds of Degar women have been subject to forced sterilisation."

Fiorello Provera: Christianity's Via Dolorosa (http://www.straitstimes.com/Project_Syndicate/Story/STIStory_786856.html - broken link)

I said most religious people aren't killing anyone for religion. You did zero to contradict that. I'm not sure you even proved a Christian minister or priest incited the attacks in Haiti.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I said most religious people aren't killing anyone for religion. You did zero to contradict that. I'm not sure you even proved a Christian minister or priest incited the attacks in Haiti.
"Top Story: The Associated Press reports that a mob of Haitian Christians threw rocks and drove out a small group of Vodou practitioners who were trying to perform a ritual for the dead."
Vodouisants Attacked in Haiti and other Pagan News of Note (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/2010/02/vodouisants-attacked-in-haiti-and-other-pagan-news-of-note.html - broken link)

Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,592,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
"Top Story: The Associated Press reports that a mob of Haitian Christians threw rocks and drove out a small group of Vodou practitioners who were trying to perform a ritual for the dead."
Vodouisants Attacked in Haiti and other Pagan News of Note (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/2010/02/vodouisants-attacked-in-haiti-and-other-pagan-news-of-note.html - broken link)

Religion has grown past those dark killing ages, with the small exclusion of small groupings of radicals. You need an old matter to support your modern predujice, you are going back in order to move your obsession forward.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Religion has grown past those dark killing ages, with the small exclusion of small groupings of radicals. You need an old matter to support your modern predujice, you are going back in order to move your obsession forward.
All the way back to the year 2010

Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
All the way back to the year 2010

Your obsession is a good live example for this thread. Your own behavior, your own words, your own pention for the extreme. There is no difference between an extreme obsessed Atheist, than it is a Theist who is the same.

They both cancel each other out. Only those who are reasonable will shape our future and escape the past negative experiences.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Your obsession is a good live example for this thread. Your own behavior, your own words, your own pention for the extreme. There is no difference between an extreme obsessed Atheist, than it is a Theist who is the same.

They both cancel each other out. Only those who are reasonable will shape our future and escape the past negative experiences.
You're so blinded by the atheists you fail to (or refuse to) recognize the threat is the theists vs. theist (imaginary friends vs. imaginary friend) that is the greatest danger, all combined with generous amounts of willful ignorance.

It is only the threat that theists represent that I speak against. Keep the willful ignorance of bronze age superstitions out of society, out of government, and out of the laws that govern all, and I'm good. Attempt to impose raging willful ignorance on me, and expect some serious push-back.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You're so blinded by the atheists you fail to (or refuse to) recognize the threat is the theists vs. theist (imaginary friends vs. imaginary friend) that is the greatest danger, all combined with generous amounts of willful ignorance.

It is only the threat that theists represent that I speak against. Keep the willful ignorance of bronze age superstitions out of society, out of government, and out of the laws that govern all, and I'm good. Attempt to impose raging willful ignorance on me, and expect some serious push-back.

I see your push back, but I wouldnot consider it serious. Its like a butterfly trying to push against the elephant in the room; simply not powerful enough to make much of a difference.

Atheism is too late, The Theist hold on the world cannot be removed; its far too strong and deeply imbedded to be removed, not in my view, and not in our lifetime. I can see the possibility of Theist changing their ways, but not of Atheism making any difference.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I see your push back, but I wouldnot consider it serious. Its like a butterfly trying to push against the elephant in the room; simply not powerful enough to make much of a difference.
Yea, Dr. King was right when he said "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." But I have never been a follower, and I can go about my day without a head full of willful ignorance and absurd superstitions.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:

But I have never been a follower, and I can go about my day without a head full of willful ignorance and absurd superstitions.

Good for you, I hope thats true because I am the same way.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:

I'll grant you that's not a bad example.

Still that religious violence doesn't mean most religious people are violent or that religion is a main cause of violence today. Mostly the violence of the last 100 years has been non-religious in nature. Pretty much the only way to deny that is to define "religion" in such a broadened way that it becomes almost meaningless.

And there are actually highly religious nations that aren't particularly violent. Homicide rates in Qatar, Tonga, Samoa, and Jordan are listed as below Sweden. Kuwait and the Solomon Islands come out below France.

Global homicide: murder rates around the world | News | guardian.co.uk

Anyway I'm limiting to the weekends, see you all next Saturday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality