Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:33 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to offend anyone or annoy anyone. Nor am i commenting on anyones faith. I'm posting this link for those that might be interested.

BBC News - Queen 'should remain Defender of the Faith' - BBC poll

"Almost 80% of people in England support a religious role for the Queen, a BBC poll suggests.
In a poll by Comres to coincide with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 79% of respondents said she still had an important faith role.
Meanwhile, 73% said she should continue as supreme governor of the Church of England and keep the Defender of the Faith title first given to Henry VIII."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
My own view is that he forefeited it as soon as he broke with the pope, though of course he still saw himself as a Catholic rather than a protestant. I don't know whether the Pope asked for the title back - I suppose that it was implicit in the excomunication which I suppose must have been imposed (heck of a lot I don't know about the matter ) though I go on to suppose that perhaps it was left in place for Mary I and whoever replaced Elizabeth I after the Armada hopefully succeeded.

What the Papal view is now I don't know - probably Thom R. can tell us. but unless the Vatican is leaving it in place until in God's Good time, England and Wales (Scotland having left the union by then) will have returned to monarchy under papal domination just as we never demanded Malta's George cross back even when it went Soviet -we just waited patiently for them to come to their senses again.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

"Almost 80% of people in England support a religious role for the Queen, a BBC poll suggests.
I think she and the rest of the royal parasites should be abolished. They're not even of British stock!!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:00 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
Abandoned churches in the UK

Buy one get one free, limited offer

Poll to be taken with a bucket of salt.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I think she and the rest of the royal parasites should be abolished. They're not even of British stock!!
I heard that from a lot of folks when I lived in the UK back in the latter half of the 80s. I figured the sentiment has only grown since then.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
It's a pretty cool title, "Defender of the Faith." I'm sure it brings a few tourist in.

I kind of like traditions like that, even if they don't have a lot of modern relevance.

But it's not my call to make.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I heard that from a lot of folks when I lived in the UK back in the latter half of the 80s. I figured the sentiment has only grown since then.
From what i can gather (living here now) people are majoritively in favour of the royal family. People seem to be pleased that the Royal Family is moving into a more 'modern' era like the Royal families of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. A younger and more representative family is what we seem to be heading towards and people seem to approve of that.

What people here are less happy with is the subsidies that the Royal family receive from the tax payer.

75% of people of voting age want to keep a monarchy. See Link:

Ipsos MORI | Trend | Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Monarchy v Republic 1993-2011

Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Abandoned churches in the UK

Buy one get one free, limited offer

Poll to be taken with a bucket of salt.
Why? I can perfectly understand the result. I would have voted in favour of it too even though I'm not religious. It's a cultural tradition and imo it's better to have a reliable, moderate head of the Church.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,924 times
Quote:
From what i can gather (living here now) people are majoritively in favour of the royal family. People seem to be pleased that the Royal Family is moving into a more 'modern' era like the Royal families of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. A younger and more representative family is what we seem to be heading towards and people seem to approve of that.

What people here are less happy with is the subsidies that the Royal family receive from the tax payer.

75% of people of voting age want to keep a monarchy. See Link:

Ipsos MORI | Trend | Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Monarchy v Republic 1993-2011

Ah, thanks for the info. When I was living there it was in the days of "Gnarly Charlie" and "Randy Andy." The young Prince William and his bride may have changed peoples' perceptions.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
From what i can gather (living here now) people are majoritively in favour of the royal family.
That's the problem with Joe Public. Give them crap TV full of 'reality' programmes about people making fools of themselves and a little plastic flag so that they can stand in the rain and wave it at 'royalty' in order to remind them just how inferior they are....and they're as happy as pigs in glabber!

Come the revolution mate!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality