Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

So What is so wrong with polygamy so long as it is between consenting adults? What about it warrants it to be considered a crime? Are you aware that many polygamist relationships have a higher survival rate then monogamous ones? Polygamy is also found amongst many figuers in the Bible.

Is there anybody who approves of gay marriage but opposes polygamy? If so, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

What is so wrong with polygamy and who does it hurt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So What is so wrong with polygamy so long as it is between consenting adults? What about it warrants it to be considered a crime? Are you aware that many polygamist relationships have a higher survival rate then monogamous ones? Polygamy is also found amongst many figuers in the Bible.

Is there anybody who approves of gay marriage but opposes polygamy? If so, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

What is so wrong with polygamy and who does it hurt?
Now, are we talking one man with several wives or a group marriage?

In either event if all involved go into it with their eyes open and no illusions, sure. Whatever floats their rubber duckies.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
The principle is that a few elect men would be able to score most of the possible wifes away from the less fortunate men, who would thus suffer and then rise up against us . The point of the law is so that we have no complainers. women would likely be complaining about the other wifes and who is better. And religionists who descend from a Roman/European tradition would complain about how polygamy was the cause of natural and other disasters. Since our culture would likely not be ready for seeing men who share a wive as equals with men who have many wives, then women would complain about a lack of equality as more men with multiple wives would be seen than vise-versa. I'm sure there are some pro and cons I didn't mention.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 AM

14 posts, read 13,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Actually, the argument that human beings are naturally monogamous is a pretty tough sell in light of observations of other species in their natural habitat. I can't remember exactly what species it was (some kind of bird), but after two of them first mate, they never cheat on each other from then on. They become inseparable, the neurochemical events both during and after their first sexual encounter having physically altered their brains to be compelled to be close to each other at all times.

Not so for humans, though we are far more complex neurologically/psychologically, which does complicate things. Matters of love are never simple.

Also, I've heard of at least one successful polygamous marriage. Someone on another forum claimed that his parents were in an "open relationship" and that they still loved each other and were still together. Whether that's true or not, I can't know, but I got the impression he was being honest. It might be difficult, but I think that the right people who understand what's acceptable and what isn't can make any kind of marriage work - including those of the polygamous variety.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-16-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 01:23 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,330,462 times
polygamy is not for everyone and is not about just having sex, it's about sharing everything with eachother and if the man can't keep peace between his women, he will be in deeper crap than he ever could imagine. So not only does he have to be consistent, he has to be fair ...people choose to see just the sexual side of things, just like how they can be anti gay because they picture two people of the same sex in bed but it's about so much more. it's a lyfestyle.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 AM

460 posts, read 593,193 times
I always answer in this fashion:

The good book says that you cannot serve two masters. Anyone who has ever tried to dangle two girlfriends at the same time knows what I speak of.

Then there is the old "Arabic" joke.

I had one wife, but she was unhappy because I traveled a lot.

So, I thought I would marry a second wife so that they could both be happy in companionship. Nope. Didn't turn out that way. Now, my problems and their complaints became exponential.

So, I married a third wife, thinking that she could referee between the other two wives. It turned out that on any given day, two of my wives would gang up on the third wife. I was never given any peace at all.

Thus, I married a fourth wife, thinking that at least the arguments would be equal.

I travel a lot now. I hate going home or even the thought of it.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
I myself am living in a full time relationship with two girls. Not married of course so it is not illegal. We have gone to great lengths to secure legal documents and agreements between us which afford us many of the same 'rights' as a married couple have - next of kin, inheritence, hospital visitation, guardianship over children we have and so on - but at no point have we 'put upon' others in any way shape or form. You would not tell that from how some people act towards us - thankfully a small minority - whom if you watched closely you would feel that somehow our life together impedes and damges their in some horrific fashion and the very existence of our love is an affront to their ability to achieve freedom and happiness in theirs.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
True that, but similar principles.
Not really. Swingers are people who want to have consensual and varied sex (usually with no strings attached) with other people. Polygamists are generally people in a committed relationship like you and I except that there is a different number of people in their relationship to that in ours. The "principle" is entirely different and sleeping with other people is just as much grounds for break up and anger in a relationship with 3 people as it is within any couple.

However there is clearly an issue with terms in a discussion like this. Many people can not tell the difference between polygamy and bigamy for example. Some also can not tell the difference between polygamy/bigamy and swinging/adultery/cheating. It is a whole mesh pot of behaviors for which we have a few oft misused and misapplied terminology.

To answer the OP therefore I would say if you are breaking the law then that is bad as we have laws for a reason. If you disagree with the laws then work to change them. However if you are simply exploring a relationship between consenting adults which breaks no laws then I am with the OP in saying that this harms no one and others should keep their nose out.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
polygamy is not for everyone and is not about just having sex, it's about sharing everything with eachother and if the man can't keep peace between his women, he will be in deeper crap than he ever could imagine. So not only does he have to be consistent, he has to be fair ...people choose to see just the sexual side of things, just like how they can be anti gay because they picture two people of the same sex in bed but it's about so much more. it's a lyfestyle.

As someone who has friends who like living the lifestyle of Poly that is one thing they deal with constantly, people think it's one big orgy every night.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
I think it is immoral from a religious perspective and I also feel that way about homosexual relationships (sexually active). My biggest issue where they are actually stepping on my toes was that these big families that I saw interviewed and discussed with sometimes 70 children, were living on our tax dollars so it made them just like the welfare crowd where the man makes the babies and doesn't support them. I do not feel that it is our job to support the lifestyles of others. Also, some of the women don't appear to have a choice when being "given" to the husband at a young age. One guy had married a woman and then her sister. High yuck factor! Kansas defines marriage as between one man and one woman - me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality