Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 PM

475 posts, read 508,066 times

Advertisements

I recently lost my pet and i was wondering if they go to heaven or somewhere. Id like to think that they do. They are our best friends, they are loyal, better than people and love us uncondicionaly. I say to myself, if people are supposed to go to heaven after they die (even tho they are mean to each other, nasty, etc , etc, etc) im sure animals will too.
Im not a religious person, i do believe in God tho, but that's about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
My opinion? Your pet is not going to heaven and neither are you. And neither am I nor is anyone else.

But there's a remote chance that I am wrong though. :-)

Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
They go the same place we do, oblivion. They like we exist only in memories of those that cared for them, and the things the did while alive.

Now if there were a heaven, dogs would be far more deserving than any human I know. I also understand your pain, for I miss all of the dogs I have loved over the years, and I have two dogs at my feet right now.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
I would suggest you read the threads concerning re-incarnation if you want to be clear as to where you pets, and you will be after death.
I can tell you this for certain, unless their souls are the purest of the pure, they will not be in heaven, but in an area that is considered a staging ground for all spirits, human, or otherwise.
Only the purest of souls will ascend to the heaven we all aspire to see.
Bob.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,939,153 times
when we die we go back to the same place we are from before we were born

Old 04-20-2012, 02:13 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Biblically no they do not. I personally believe all creatures have a soul so I do believe they go some where.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Biblically no they do not. I personally believe all creatures have a soul so I do believe they go some where.
Biblically, I would say that Qoheleth (Ecclesiastes) says otherwise. At the time Ecclesiastes was written, foreign ideas of a blessed (or cursed) life after death, Heaven above and Sheol below, and a personal "soul" ascending upwards were first being propounded by certain late Jewish thinkers. Qoheleth reacts to these new ideas in the following way:
And further did I see under the sun:
The place of judgment - wickedness there,
and the place of justice - the wicked there.
I said in my heart:
The just man and the wicked God will judge, for there is a time for every matter, and every deed He assesses.

I said in my heart in regard to the sons of man [humans],
God has sifted them out to show them they are but beasts.
For the fate of the sons of man and the fate of the beast is a single fate.
As one dies so dies the other, and all have a single spirit, and man's advantage over the beast is naught,
for everything is mere breath.

Everything goes to a single place.
Everything was from the dust,
and everything goes back to the dust.
Who knows whether man's spirit goes upward and the beast's spirit goes down to the earth?
(Qoheleth 3:16-22, TWB - Alter)
So biblically, Qoheleth makes it quite clear that animals and humans share the same fate, share the same spirit, and that those who claim to know that the human spirit ascends while the beastly spirit descends are speaking out of ignorance.

Marce30 - it has been a mainstay for quite some time of some Christian thought that we are more special than the animals and that only humans have "souls" or "spirits", but this understanding is based on later interpretations that were more ego-centric than true to the Biblical traditum. As humans, we like to imagine that we are the center of the Universe, that we are the culmination of God's Creation, everything was Created for us, and animals are just those things we were supposed to have dominion over. This is bogus wishful thinking. Qoheleth is revered as a writer of wise (if pessimistic) words. It is the writer's pessimisim that made many people avoid his work like the plague, or ascribe it to Solomon (using the mistaken idea that any literature having to do with Wisdom MUST have been written by Solomon - the supposedly wisest man who ever lived) and claim that it was a product of his later, jaded old age. This pessimisim affected later tradents so much that they even added an appendix to the scroll to make everything okay.

Qoheleth ends the scroll with his characteristic phrase "Merest breath, said Qoheleth. All is mere breath" (or the more familiar, but deceptive "Vanity of vanities - all is vanity"), but a later editor finished the work starting in chapter 12:9-14 to attempt to give it an "upbeat" ending. It's an ending that Qoheleth never wrote, and would never have written.

In the end, if you believe in a Heaven - while this clashes with Qoheleth's words - and believe that you have a "soul" that ascends upwards - (again, clashing with Qoheleth) - then there is no Biblical problem with stating that animals share the same soul and fate: whatever that might be. Take that how you will, and I hope that helps you find some peace with your beloved pet's death.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
when we die we go back to the same place we are from before we were born
Inside my father's testes? YOU'RE weird......

Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
I recently lost my pet and i was wondering if they go to heaven or somewhere. Id like to think that they do. They are our best friends, they are loyal, better than people and love us uncondicionaly. I say to myself, if people are supposed to go to heaven after they die (even tho they are mean to each other, nasty, etc , etc, etc) im sure animals will too.
Im not a religious person, i do believe in God tho, but that's about it.
All dogs go to heaven except pit bulls.

I once had a dog that was part pit bull and part collie. It would bite your leg off then go run for help.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
All dogs go to heaven except pit bulls.

I once had a dog that was part pit bull and part collie. It would bite your leg off then go run for help.
Ha ha! Good one....
"Help! Help! I bit Timmy, and he jumped in a well to escape me! Help! Help! I need to finish the job! RAWRRR!"

Pitbulls - I hate those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality