Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times

Advertisements

I thought I would post it as some of the question that we see here are more what the Agnostic would ask, not the Atheist. I Googled "Agnostic" and found many interesting links. This is from Wilipedia. The entire article is worth reading, regardless of what or how you believe. This is only a small portion.

Quoting Wikipedia:

Agnosticism can be subdivided into several subcategories. Recently suggested variations include:

Strong agnosticism (also called hard agnosticism, closed agnosticism, strict agnosticism, absolute agnosticism)—the view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of an omnipotent God and the nature of ultimate reality is unknowable by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience. A strong agnostic would say "I don't know, and neither do you."

Weak agnosticism (also called mild agnosticism, soft agnosticism, open agnosticism, empirical agnosticism, temporal agnosticism)—the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."

Apathetic agnosticism—the view that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of God or gods, but since any God or gods that may exist appear unconcerned for the universe or the welfare of its inhabitants, the question is largely academic anyway. An apathetic agnostic would say, "I don't know, and who cares anyway?"

Model agnosticism—the view that philosophical and metaphysical questions are not ultimately verifiable but that a model of malleable assumption should be built upon rational thought. This branch of agnosticism does not focus on a deity's existence.

Agnostic theism (also called religious agnosticism)—the view of those who do not claim to know existence of God or gods, but still believe in such an existence. An agnostic theist would say "I don't know, but I think so."

Agnostic atheism—the view of those who do not know of the existence or nonexistence of God or gods, and do not believe in them. An agnostic atheist would say "I don't know, and I don't think so."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Default Interesting...

June needs to ponder some of the in's and out's of the above before saying a word!

Take gentle care

Old 09-16-2007, 11:06 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Interesting...I sometimes think the honest position for self-proclamed athiests should be agnosticism since athiests have no definable proof that God DOESN'T exist.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:25 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I considered myself to be an agnostic for a number of years when I was younger. At some point I realized that although I know you can't prove that God doesn't exist I had passed the point of questioning God's existence and was clearly in the atheist camp. I'm not surprised there are so many categories of agnosticism because it really covers a wide variety of people with differing points of view. Even someone who is deeply religious may go through a period of doubt when they're really questioning their faith. They may not like the word agnostic but it would certainly apply to their situation.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:32 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Even someone who is deeply religious may go through a period of doubt when they're really questioning their faith. They may not like the word agnostic but it would certainly apply to their situation.
I went through a period of searching and anger towards God and I think for a brief period of time I could have identified myself as agnostic...but something deep inside of me just knew God was real. I philosophically wanted there to be no God...but I couldn't deny what my heart told me.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Agnosticism has denominations

Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I thought I would post it as some of the question that we see here are more what the Agnostic would ask, not the Atheist. I Googled "Agnostic" and found many interesting links. This is from Wilipedia. The entire article is worth reading, regardless of what or how you believe. This is only a small portion.

Quoting Wikipedia:

Agnosticism can be subdivided into several subcategories. Recently suggested variations include:

Strong agnosticism (also called hard agnosticism, closed agnosticism, strict agnosticism, absolute agnosticism)—the view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of an omnipotent God and the nature of ultimate reality is unknowable by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience. A strong agnostic would say "I don't know, and neither do you."

Weak agnosticism (also called mild agnosticism, soft agnosticism, open agnosticism, empirical agnosticism, temporal agnosticism)—the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."

Apathetic agnosticism—the view that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of God or gods, but since any God or gods that may exist appear unconcerned for the universe or the welfare of its inhabitants, the question is largely academic anyway. An apathetic agnostic would say, "I don't know, and who cares anyway?"

Model agnosticism—the view that philosophical and metaphysical questions are not ultimately verifiable but that a model of malleable assumption should be built upon rational thought. This branch of agnosticism does not focus on a deity's existence.

Agnostic theism (also called religious agnosticism)—the view of those who do not claim to know existence of God or gods, but still believe in such an existence. An agnostic theist would say "I don't know, but I think so."

Agnostic atheism—the view of those who do not know of the existence or nonexistence of God or gods, and do not believe in them. An agnostic atheist would say "I don't know, and I don't think so."
Actually, in "The God Delusion" Richard Dawkins described himself as an agnostic atheist leaning towards a view of atheism that there is proof God does not exist. I'd have to say that most self-described atheists probably fall in this category because just as you can't prove the boogeyman isn't in your closet you have a pretty rational understanding that he does not.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
LOL Blue - that's what I was thinking! I hate all these labels and "definitions", especially when we're trying to define something that doesn't exist... whoa, that was pretty deep & existential. I call myself an Agnostic Jew when people ask, simply because they're requesting a label. But in reality, that means very little to me, and certainly doesn't guide my life or decisions. I proudly claim Judaism, as it is my culture, but don't see the need to name my specific beliefs. Does that make sense?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:19 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Makes a lot of sense Giz..I just call myself a "believer" That covers a lot of territory without a lot of explaining about which church or which christian doctrine I adhere to

Old 09-17-2007, 06:17 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Interesting...I sometimes think the honest position for self-proclamed athiests should be agnosticism since athiests have no definable proof that God DOESN'T exist.
Using your logic, that means that Christians should be agnostic as well since they have no definitive proof that God does exist.

All of the labeling is just silly. That is the problem with religion, everyone wants to put you in a neat box labeled as "X." I am thankful I am not part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality