Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,819 times

Advertisements

The most frequently quoted verse is likely the most misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,897 times
Both Judaism and Christianity are all about judging! There is nothing wrong with judging.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:59 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
A more relevant and self explanatory expression is;

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

The bible suggests judge not lest you be judged and yet we have a verse that suggests we should judge righteously.

What is judgement other than an unsolicited opinion?

How can you make an unbiased/objective judgement?

Our opinions and moral concepts are made up of our environment and our specific upbringing. We may see someone and say they are a slob yet their parents are also slobs. But then what is the measure for slobbishness? It is not objective.

There are certain standards society deem appropriate for the benefit of the group. A nudist cannot simply decide to wonder around the streets even if their own nudity to them is inoffensive. We are conditioned by the society we live in to adhere to these "norms"

I am taking really vague and inconsequential examples her to illustrate my point.

There is quite a bit of biblical judgements and based on laws that really are unenforceable in modern society.

We really cannot beat the crap out of our own kids, the bible suggests stoning them.

We cannot really judge adultery or even police it, the bible suggests stoning.

And of course the poor LGBT folk, stoning replaced with ridicule, unfair laws, making folk to feel unwanted or even feel ashamed for their sexual desires.

Odd that the secular laws protect kids from parental abuse yet adult abuse of strangers tends to get a free pass, unless it is assault. Even then, the victim has to press charges.

What gives us the right to judge? Nothing, yet we all seem to do it. Perhaps we all have our own little sin lists? Projecting them on others only serves to anger other folk. I can raise my hand in guilt here, can you?

Perhaps the simplest thing is to live and let live. None of us asked to be here anyway and we have to make it through life the best we can.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM

896 posts, read 1,865,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlonemillion View Post
The reason I ask is because I used to work for in a recording studio and my boss would fall asleep sometimes during the sessions. One time a gospel group came in, said they were tired from the night before and many of them also fell asleep. Keep in mind it's loud in the studio. One time I recorded my Jewish friend, and by the end of the session, he was falling asleep on the console, around 7pm. Another one of my friends who works in the studio, told me (unprovoked) he's afraid he falls asleep in class.
It makes me wonder if I'm biblically cursed to fall asleep during the day.
Or maybe you're cursed to listen to very boring music perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality