Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Upon this we disagree.
The power of Pascal's Wager

Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
It is all a matter of whether or not it is any skin off their noses. Discriminating against gays is easy -- they're only hurting others, strangers, people they don't care about.

Unless, of course, they find out they have a gay child, like Dick Cheney. Then, suddenly, they care. Because it affects them, at least indirectly.

And admonitions against amassing wealth? No seafood? Bans on divorce? Hey, that crimps their style!

The easiest thing in the world is to follow a rule you would follow even if it wasn't a rule. And those are the only rules most of the Bible-quoters care about. Any other rules are explained away with hand-waving, comments about 'metaphor', or 'it was different then', or explanations that this or that word was mistranslated (funny how they never desperately search for any varying translations when they like a Bible verse, isn't it?).
And just now I found this prime example:
But in a half-dozen interviews with Republicans who came to see Mr. Romney in Omaha on Thursday, not a single person voiced an objection at his decision not to dwell on the issue of same-sex marriage. “It’s none of my business. We don’t need to talk about it,” said Mo Birkel, 70, a retired custodian from nearby Papillion, Neb., when asked about gay marriage. “I can’t say if I’m for it or against it, because I don’t know what my grandkids will be.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/us...pagewanted=all

He'd be for it, so long as he knew his opposition would only harm people he didn't care about, not family.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post

He'd be for it, so long as he knew his opposition would only harm people he didn't care about, not family.
Yep, that's a pretty safe bet.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
I just heard it on the news. While one may believe this belongs in the Politic forum, from a Scriptural perspective it has everything to do with Christianity. The public condoning of Homosexuality is not a good sign.

God's Judgment on this nation doesn't seem very far at all now.

President Obama: Same-Sex Couples Should Be Able To Wed : The Two-Way : NPR

I guess we knew this, but it's just another red flag.

ps. This post is to inform Biblical Christians. The intent is not to cause strifeful debate.
Obama's trying everything to win votes.
Unfortunately, many have fallen for the lies of the gay agenda.
It shows me how gullible people are & how eager they are to jump on the bandwagon of whatever opinion is popular.

I understand that the bible expressly condones homosexuality, & I feel for those whose rights have been infringed on in the name of "gay rights"...

Children have the right to not be taught homosexuality in school. Yet, in places where gay marriage has been enacted, these rights have been infringed upon. Here are a few examples where those with homosexual preferences have pushed their assumed rights, which infringed on the rights of others...
*Freshmen were told not to tell their parents about a pro-gay seminar & were required to sign a confidentiality agreement (Derrfield, Illinois Mar. 2007).
*In March, 2007, a Massachusetts high school banned parents from attending a seminar for students on how they can know they are homosexual.
*In October, 2008, First graders (6 year-old students) were taken on a field trip to watch their lesbian teacher's wedding.
*In Oct 2008, a Hayward CA public elementary school celebrated "Coming Out Day."

Normalizing & even encouraging children to explore homosexuality obviously causes more to experiment with homosexuality.
"The Legal Liability Associated with Homosexuality Education in Schools... This report is part of an integrated strategy to inform and educate parents, students and school officials across the nation of its contents and of their respective rights and duties. It has documented the concern that the health of students in many schools across the country may have been compromised and their First Amendment rights may have been denied."
http://www.afamichigan.org/images/Legal ... 200504.pdf

Also, others' rights have been infringed upon in favor of supporting gay rights.
*In April 2008, an Albuquerque photographer was fined over $6,000 for refusing to be hired to photograph a lesbian couple's commitment ceremony.
*In May, 2008, a black administrator was fired from the U of Toledo, Ohio, for writing an editorial objecting to the comparison of black discrimination to same-sex marriage.
*An intolerant opponent of Proposition 8 even violently attacked & injured a Proposition supporter in Oct. 2008.
*On November 19, 2008, eHarmony, a Christian-based matching service was forced by New Jersey's Division on Civil Rights to provide website matching services for homosexuals.

Still, my objection to same-sex marriage is not so much biblical as it is medical & psychological.
1. Homosexual practices have shown to be harmful, not just risky statistically, but harmful even in 2 healthy males...

Homosexuality (deemed as "death" by an ex-homosexual & ex-gay rights leader) is NOT what we want to teach children, especially considering that statistically, (according to the US CDC) homosexual practices present risks... since homosexuals switch partners often, they are more likely to get STDs & AIDS (which 2 friends of mine died from).
http://www.cdc.gov/stdconference/2000/m ... ay2000.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/doc
We also know that anal sex is risky (for anal fissures, colon rupture & anal cancer), even in 2 healthy males.

2. Same Sex Marriage denies children of mothers or fathers. Gay marriage is like saying, "Children don't really need a dad, 2 moms are fine, or they don't really need a mom, 2 dads are fine" - when that's wrong! Just as children are naturally created by a father's sperm & a mother's egg, children need to be raised both a mother and father to thrive best...
"Children Need Both A Mother And A Father" Dr. A. Dean Byrd
http://www.narth.com/docs/needboth.html

"Why Children need both Mother-Love and Father-Love" Glenn T. Stanton
http://www.jashow.org/Articles/_PDFArch ... I0804G.pdf

"Mothers' and Fathers' Socializing Behaviors in Three Contexts: Links with Children's Peer Competence"
Pettit, Gregory S.; Brown, Elizabeth Glyn; Mize, Jacquelyn; Lindsey, Eric
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/se ... o=EJ563106

"Why Children Need a Mother and a Father" Bill Muehlenberg
http://www.billmuehlenberg.com/2010/10/ ... -a-father/

Gay couples already have rights under laws like common law marriage and cohabitation agreements...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohabitation_agreement
Even if no contract is written up, they have rights.
Yet even more rights are extended if a couple creates a contract when they begin living together.

There is no need to redefine marriage to include sexual deviations.
In fact, doing so will harm many - including homosexuals (& others who are persuaded to be homosexual) by condoning statistically harmful behavior and by not giving children what they need most: BOTH a mother and father.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
You guys/gals do realize that he said that is what he believed don't you? He never said anything about doing anything about it. There are people who do not believe in inter-racial marriages should that be attacked as well?

Romney has stated that he would be willing to make a constitional admendment as to what marriage should be ....a man and a woman. This in itself proves that he is clueless as to what equality in America is all about. Just replace gays with blacks, jews, catholic ect

All of this could have been avoided by simply letting have civil unions and give them the same rights as hetero married people. Why is this so freaking hard? Why do the religious care what goes on in anyones bedroom anyway? How is it hurting them or is it because they want everyone to think and act like them?

Romney can care less about any of you because he is being manipulated by the wealthy super pacs and is going to say anything that he thinks you want to hear to get your votes.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
It shows me how gullible people are & how eager they are to jump on the bandwagon of whatever opinion is popular.
And while you weren't a member here in 2008 I bet you were a Palin fan in 08, and you want to call others gullible..... That rich dude.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You guys/gals do realize that he said that is what he believed don't you? He never said anything about doing anything about it. There are people who do not believe in inter-racial marriages should that be attacked as well?

Romney has stated that he would be willing to make a constitional admendment as to what marriage should be ....a man and a woman. This in itself proves that he is clueless as to what equality in America is all about. Just replace gays with blacks, jews, catholic ect

All of this could have been avoided by simply letting have civil unions and give them the same rights as hetero married people. Why is this so freaking hard? Why do the religious care what goes on in anyones bedroom anyway? How is it hurting them or is it because they want everyone to think and act like them?

Romney can care less about any of you because he is being manipulated by the wealthy super pacs and is going to say anything that he thinks you want to hear to get your votes.
If you read through this and the other similar threads, both here and over in P&OC, you can't help but notice that there is an excessive interest in anal sex. I cannot explain why that is so. For example, look at the post just above your own.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: adding more info

Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

The founding fathers of the United States founded this country on Biblical principles.
That's a lie, and you know it but it goes a long way to show you moral worth, or lack of when you even post your lies in bolded font, showing pride in a lie.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:40 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Excerpt:
Homosexuality was treated as a criminal offense in all of the original thirteen colonies, and eventually every one of the fifty states (see Robinson, 2003; “Sodomy Laws...,” 2003). Severe penalties were invoked for those who engaged in homosexuality. In fact, few Americans know that the penalty for homosexuality in several states was death—including New York, Vermont, Connecticut, and South Carolina (Barton, 2000, pp. 306,482). Most people nowadays would be shocked to learn that Thomas Jefferson advocated “dismemberment” as the penalty for homosexuality in his home state of Virginia, and even authored a bill to that effect (1781, Query 14; cf. 1903, 1:226-227).
Apologetics Press - The Founders on Homosexuality

Quotes from the founding fathers

Excerpt:
James Madison
“ We’ve staked our future on our ability to follow the Ten Commandments with all of our heart.”

“We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.” [1778 to the General Assembly of the State of Virginia]

James McHenry – Signer of the Constitution
Public utility pleads most forcibly for the general distribution of the Holy Scriptures. The doctrine they preach, the obligations they impose, the punishment they threaten, the rewards they promise, the stamp and image of divinity they bear, which produces a conviction of their truths, can alone secure to society, order and peace, and to our courts of justice and constitutions of government, purity, stability and usefulness. In vain, without the Bible, we increase penal laws and draw entrenchments around our institutions. Bibles are strong entrenchments. Where they abound, men cannot pursue wicked courses, and at the same time enjoy quiet conscience.
Quotes from our Founding Fathers (Constitution)
Hey I can do that too! Spiffy aint it?

The founding fathers of the United States founded this country on Biblical principles.

Hey I can do that too! Spiffy aint it?

Quotes from the founding fathers

Excerpt:

John Adams - Signer of the declaration of independece & second us president.

""I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"

" "The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses."

James Madison - father of the constitution 4th u.s. president.

"And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."

btw your madison quotes are widely regarded as the invention of david barton Ed Buckner, "It’s a Free Country, Not a Christian Nation," 1998
snopes.com: Religious Symbols in the U.S. National Capital

Old 05-11-2012, 02:45 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post

I understand that the bible expressly condones homosexuality, & I feel for those whose rights have been infringed on in the name of "gay rights"...

Children have the right to not be taught homosexuality in school. Yet, in places where gay marriage has been enacted, these rights have been infringed upon. Here are a few examples where those with homosexual preferences have pushed their assumed rights, which infringed on the rights of others...
*Freshmen were told not to tell their parents about a pro-gay seminar & were required to sign a confidentiality agreement (Derrfield, Illinois Mar. 2007).
*In March, 2007, a Massachusetts high school banned parents from attending a seminar for students on how they can know they are homosexual.
*In October, 2008, First graders (6 year-old students) were taken on a field trip to watch their lesbian teacher's wedding.
*In Oct 2008, a Hayward CA public elementary school celebrated "Coming Out Day."

Normalizing & even encouraging children to explore homosexuality obviously causes more to experiment with homosexuality.
"The Legal Liability Associated with Homosexuality Education in Schools... This report is part of an integrated strategy to inform and educate parents, students and school officials across the nation of its contents and of their respective rights and duties. It has documented the concern that the health of students in many schools across the country may have been compromised and their First Amendment rights may have been denied."
http://www.afamichigan.org/images/Legal ... 200504.pdf

Also, others' rights have been infringed upon in favor of supporting gay rights.
*In April 2008, an Albuquerque photographer was fined over $6,000 for refusing to be hired to photograph a lesbian couple's commitment ceremony.
*In May, 2008, a black administrator was fired from the U of Toledo, Ohio, for writing an editorial objecting to the comparison of black discrimination to same-sex marriage.
*An intolerant opponent of Proposition 8 even violently attacked & injured a Proposition supporter in Oct. 2008.
*On November 19, 2008, eHarmony, a Christian-based matching service was forced by New Jersey's Division on Civil Rights to provide website matching services for homosexuals.

Still, my objection to same-sex marriage is not so much biblical as it is medical & psychological.
1. Homosexual practices have shown to be harmful, not just risky statistically, but harmful even in 2 healthy males...

Homosexuality (deemed as "death" by an ex-homosexual & ex-gay rights leader) is NOT what we want to teach children, especially considering that statistically, (according to the US CDC) homosexual practices present risks... since homosexuals switch partners often, they are more likely to get STDs & AIDS (which 2 friends of mine died from).
http://www.cdc.gov/stdconference/2000/m ... ay2000.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/doc
We also know that anal sex is risky (for anal fissures, colon rupture & anal cancer), even in 2 healthy males.

2. Same Sex Marriage denies children of mothers or fathers. Gay marriage is like saying, "Children don't really need a dad, 2 moms are fine, or they don't really need a mom, 2 dads are fine" - when that's wrong! Just as children are naturally created by a father's sperm & a mother's egg, children need to be raised both a mother and father to thrive best...
"Children Need Both A Mother And A Father" Dr. A. Dean Byrd
http://www.narth.com/docs/needboth.html

"Why Children need both Mother-Love and Father-Love" Glenn T. Stanton
http://www.jashow.org/Articles/_PDFArch ... I0804G.pdf

"Mothers' and Fathers' Socializing Behaviors in Three Contexts: Links with Children's Peer Competence"
Pettit, Gregory S.; Brown, Elizabeth Glyn; Mize, Jacquelyn; Lindsey, Eric
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/se ... o=EJ563106

"Why Children Need a Mother and a Father" Bill Muehlenberg
http://www.billmuehlenberg.com/2010/10/ ... -a-father/

Gay couples already have rights under laws like common law marriage and cohabitation agreements...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohabitation_agreement
Even if no contract is written up, they have rights.
Yet even more rights are extended if a couple creates a contract when they begin living together.

There is no need to redefine marriage to include sexual deviations.
In fact, doing so will harm many - including homosexuals (& others who are persuaded to be homosexual) by condoning statistically harmful behavior and by not giving children what they need most: BOTH a mother and father.
So, it comes to this now does it....Spamming the forum with this post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality