Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think it's ironic that the game Monopoly is made by only one company.
What? Oh, man, it's too early in the morning for me.

Buying Baltimore Avenue...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Agreed. Looking at it over its history, Christianity has been nothing but a source of pain, subjugation and death for many, many people on this planet.
And much of it for money's sake....seriously, the acquisition of wealth and riches for high church officials.

I've suggested they police their own, but in retrospect, I'll have to rethink that, due to the fact that much of this mess started when they began to police their own. They simply branded everyone as heretics and stared murdering them. Look at the poor Nestorian Christians, Eastern Orthodox, Cathars, Bogomils and others hunted down and executed in mass slaughters by the thousands and tens of thousands for dissenting or expressing a different view.

So, no, I don't guess I would want them policing their own. The world's had enough of that already.

Blasphemously....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The best biblical evidence against christianity. Well that is obvious, the bible itself.
Seriously. That was the beginning of the end of my belief in the 'Bible.' The Pastor decided we were going to read one passage or so a week and he'd explain what it meant. Yet we ended up glossing over entire passages, frequently skipping over entire books even.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
it would be good to find an Atheist who takes the bible more seriously than an episode of Family Guy.
If we took the Bible to be anything more than one of the more important works of ancient mythology, we wouldn't be atheist.

Think about it.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:42 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamuchadnezzar View Post
Well, what is it? I'm curious. I find evidence that stems from the Bible to be more compelling topics of debate than the more superficial things such as evolution, abiogenesis, the big bang, etc./anything scientific or philosophical.
What's the best biblical evidence against Christianity?

The Bible.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
I don't know what's so hard about citing Biblical verses that may contradict each other or show some illogical statement...but ok....
Can you provide evidence from the DC Comics texts that prove Superman doesn't exist?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
1. Leviticus
2. Deuteronomy
3. Judges
4. Exodus

Read all of those, while keeping in mind Matthew 5:17 and Luke 16:17--which both say that the Old Testament still applies to today.
Only if you are Jewish. All the stuff about not eating shellfish, not wearing clothes made from two different cloths, killing wwitches, gays, people that work on the Sabbath etc or any of the 613 laws of the Mitzvot, only applies if you are Jewish and yes, if you are Jewish, the laws do still apply today.

Christianity, when it jumped on the band-wagon saw all those laws that they just didn't want to follow so they made up the story about their man-god releasing them from the laws....not realising that those laws didn't apply to them anyway.

Now whilst some Christians might rejoice at discovering that they can actually eat lobster, they must also realise that they can no longer use 'you must not commit sodomy with a man' to castigate homosexuals because THAT law only applies to Jews too.

Poor Christians....now what are they gonna do!!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Since an atheist is, by definition, a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings, why would you think an atheist would find anything found in the Bible compelling?

The fact that you find evidence from the Bible compelling does not even hint that anybody else does. I doubt that you can even get a consensus within this forum that science (such as evolution and abiogenesis) is superficial.

Quote:
Well, what is it? I'm curious. I find evidence that stems from the Bible to be more compelling topics of debate than the more superficial things such as evolution, abiogenesis, the big bang, etc./anything scientific or philosophical.
This is an equally valid question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Can you provide evidence from the DC Comics texts that prove Superman doesn't exist?
How could this NOT be real?

Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! ("Look! Up in the sky!" "It's a bird!" "It's a plane!" "It's Superman!")... Yes, it's Superman ... strange visitor from another planet, who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men! Superman ... who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
1. You're missing the point. As an atheist the burden of proof isn't on me to present any evidence against Christianity. The most overwhelming reason to be an atheist is the utter lack of evidence to support the factual claims of any religion at all.

2. It doesn't matter whether you find "evidence that stems from the Bible to be more compelling", unless you can present a reason to conclude, based on evidence and logic, that statements made by miscellaneous Bronze Age nomads are more reliable evidence of reality than the observations of reality made and interpreted by science, why would we ever use biblical arguments for the existence or nonexistence of anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality