Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 PM

12 posts, read 20,378 times

Advertisements

Hello all American brothers and sisters,

I am from Germany in Europe and I have been to your country few times and I am visiting it right now and love it very much.
One things I noticed was on the back of your money it said IN GOD WE TRUST which I find out very interesting. Then I have read on USA book that you have freedom of religions. Then why they putt it on your money? So all 310 million Americans trust in Jesus?

Thanks very much.
You are all welcome to visit Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutchBoy View Post

I am from Germany in Europe and I have been to your country few times and I am visiting it right now and love it very much.
One things I noticed was on the back of your money it said IN GOD WE TRUST which I find out very interesting. Then I have read on USA book that you have freedom of religions. Then why they putt it on your money? So all 310 million Americans trust in Jesus?

Thanks very much.
Been to your country. Not as a tourist. Visited our Army son and his German wife (in Bayreuth) Gosh, I wish the locals would not be afraid to use their English. Made it hard. We did OK though.

Does our money say Jesus? News to me.

However "God" applies to many religions. We have that saying on our money, because 95% of Americans believe in God or some sort of Higher Power.

The only people who object are the anti-theists. Given the chance they would eliminate freedom of religious expression in our country. Been at it since 1964.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-21-2012 at 08:15 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutchBoy View Post

Thanks very much.
The answer is it was an Anti-Communist measure in the 1950s. It is not about Jesus per-se as it is about differentiating ourselves from the "Godless Communists."

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-21-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,686 times
"In God We Trust" refers to the Christian God. It was put by fundamentalist Christians because they wanted to make this country more theocracy and thought communist countries were Atheists

Last edited by Ariyel; 06-21-2012 at 08:36 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The answer is it was an Anti-Communist measure in the 1950s. It is not about Jesus per-say as it is about differentiating ourselves from the "Godless Communists."
Do some research. Ask when said motto was placed on our money.

Seems it started in 1861.

History of 'In God We Trust'

Link from the US Treasury.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The only people who object are the anti-theists. Given the chance they would eliminate freedom of religious expression in our country. Been at it since 1964.
Wrong on both counts! From my perspective it is not a huge issue but it is an irritant. Assume for a moment that Deerborn, MI becomes the model for America and in 20 years we are a predominantly Muslim state. Would you want the coins to read "In Allah we trust"? No because you don't agree with that sentiment. Instead you would prefer something vague enough that you can agree, like the generic "God". Your point is that right now there are not enough non-theists to extend the same courtesy to them that you claim for yourself. The point of the political activism is that at some time, if not now, non-theists will be numerous enough that we should be represented as well by our national mottos, pledges, slogans and other frippery. We are part of this nation too, even if you would like to ignore that.

Regarding free expression of religion, I have no problem, provided it is not a governmental endorsement of religion or government funding of religion. You should be free to express your religion however you feel compelled to do so. Most of us "evil atheists" seem more interested in protecting your right to do that than you theists appear to be.

-NoCapo

Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:

That is true. Some coins had on and off it as far back as 1861, but it was not formally adopted for notes and essentially all currency until 1957 I believe, because of Communism. I believe your own source says exactly this. I have a 1955 silver certificate without "In God We Trust" on it it is just a big blank space where you would expect it to be .

Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Link from the US Treasury.
His point does hold for the national adoption of the phrase as the motto, and introduction of it on paper money. Those measures were anti-communist propaganda. The appearance on the coinage was Union propaganda, trying to firmly solidify God's political leanings as being with the Union. Regardless of nation, era, or religion, it pays to be skeptical when politicians invoke God.

This is why I am in favor of a secular government. Leave God to speak to the hearts and minds of believers, and not be used as a political rallying cry. The use of slimy politicians waving God around to try to curry favor just sickens me, and I don't understand why the religious don't abhor this behavior. The only politicial figure I have seen recently who handles their own faith in a respectful and reverent manner is Ron Paul. God should be way bigger than politics.

-NoCapo

Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Wrong on both counts! From my perspective it is not a huge issue but it is an irritant. Assume for a moment that Deerborn, MI becomes the model for America and in 20 years we are a predominantly Muslim state. Would you want the coins to read "In Allah we trust"? No because you don't agree with that sentiment. Instead you would prefer something vague enough that you can agree, like the generic "God". Your point is that right now there are not enough non-theists to extend the same courtesy to them that you claim for yourself. The point of the political activism is that at some time, if not now, non-theists will be numerous enough that we should be represented as well by our national mottos, pledges, slogans and other frippery. We are part of this nation too, even if you would like to ignore that.

-NoCapo
Paranoid much? I really could care less about atheists, except when they seek to limit my freedom of religious expression. If religious expression irritates you, get over it in the name of Tolerance. You do want Tolerance? Goes both ways.

Funny. If the US becomes a Muslim State the least of your worries will be from us Christians or in Allah we trust on coins.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Paranoid much? I really could care less about atheists, except when they seek to limit my freedom of religious expression. If religious expression irritates you, get over it in the name of Tolerance. You do want Tolerance? Goes both ways.

Funny. If the US becomes a Muslim State the least of your worries will be from us Christians or in Allah we trust on coins.
Not paranoid, you jumped right from "in God we trust" to evil anti-theists want to repress me. I was merely pointing out that it is a small minority of people bothered by references to God on coinage, if any at all, that want to use government to restrict your religious speech. This is a very common strawman. If you don't want to discuss it, don't bring it up.

Moving on, I have no desire to limit your freedom of expression. Uncle Sam, however, is not a believer and legally should not be endorsing any religion. What examples of atheist intolerance are you thinking of?

I just find it amazing that Christians, particularly, want to enshrine their beliefs in law. The whole point is that if the government stays out of religion, no group is ever put in a position where the government is oppressing their particular faith. If the line is blurred for Christians, it can be blurred for other groups as well. This is why I don't understand at all why Christians do not demand a hard line of separation between church and state. It protects your right to pursue your own faith.

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality