Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times

Advertisements

When someone you don't know dies does that make any impact on you? When I hear about well-known people dying it really impacts my life. I think about their soul and where they ended up in the after-life. Yes, they made a difference in this world and may have brought happiness to millions of people, but where are they now and are they really at "rest"?

When my FIL died last year it was extremely difficult as he was a true dad to me. I knew him so well and knew he had a strong faith in Christ so when he passed I knew he was in heaven with the Lord.

When my grandmother passed many years ago it was also very difficult. She was an amazing woman who loved and accepted me even when my parents wouldn't. I would drive a few hours to her house just to visit her for the day. I loved her so much! Still do. But I do think about the destination of her soul, unsure of where she ended up.

It's not a judgement thing on my part, can't really judge the dead, that's God's job anyway. When someone like the people above pass into eternity it makes me re-evaluate my relationship with the Lord and ask myself if I am truly on that straight and narrow path, or have I veered off.

When someone passes into eternity what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
When someone you don't know dies does that make any impact on you? When I hear about well-known people dying it really impacts my life. I think about their soul and where they ended up in the after-life. Yes, they made a difference in this world and may have brought happiness to millions of people, but where are they now and are they really at "rest"?

When my FIL died last year it was extremely difficult as he was a true dad to me. I knew him so well and knew he had a strong faith in Christ so when he passed I knew he was in heaven with the Lord.

When my grandmother passed many years ago it was also very difficult. She was an amazing woman who loved and accepted me even when my parents wouldn't. I would drive a few hours to her house just to visit her for the day. I loved her so much! Still do. But I do think about the destination of her soul, unsure of where she ended up.

It's not a judgement thing on my part, can't really judge the dead, that's God's job anyway. When someone like the people above pass into eternity it makes me re-evaluate my relationship with the Lord and ask myself if I am truly on that straight and narrow path, or have I veered off.

My feelings are handed down to me from cultural rather then religious influence. I was raised to mourn at a birth as a person has entered into the hardships of life. We are to rejoice at hearing of a death as the person has been set free.

My family culture is basically Tatar. As for religious followings in my family we have Jews, Christians, Muslims, Atheists and probably others. But we all tend to have the same attitudes regarding death.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM

267 posts, read 216,478 times
Wouldn't it be nice if people went to heaven. Wouldn't it be atrocious if people went to hell. I never encountered anyone who believed their deceased love one went to hell. Just wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:

One of my grandmothers had three children - my father and his brother and sister. These three married and had three families with children. These three families, and my grandmother, before he died, grandfather, are and were very close. It might be better to call them a clan rather than a family, because family places a distracting amount of emphasis on genetic similarities, rather than focusing attention strictly on cultural similarities where it belongs in this case. After my grandmother died, for awhile it seemed like we ceased to be so much of a clan anymore as mere relatives. She tied us together. I actually wasn't very sad when she died, but she did leave a hole. She was a mighty gaurdian and unnoficial rulemaker, who would endlessly rearange her furniture and go on vacations whenever possible. She once bopped my father over the head with a frying pan for cursing at Thanksgiving. He was forty at the time. She once chased off a past boyfriend of my aunt's with a butcher knife. He was a nice guy, but he never thought about the future and wanted her to go to South America with him. She once sat on my back for five minutes after I insulted my sister, after telling me "Stop making fun of your sister or I'll sit on your back." I didn't believe her. I learned to trust her after that.

Ironically, none of the members of our four-way clan (my father's family, his sister's family, and his brother's family, and my grandmother) were of the same religion. Technically, my grandmother and sister's family carried the same religious title of Protestant Christian...but my grandmother seemed to be more of a generic type of Protestant believer, whereas my aunt's family are deeply religious people who attend church services multiple times per week at times. We get along very well, and have done so for decades, by not talking about religion, ever.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
I understand what you mean about your grandmother passing and you realized she was the glue to the family. That is exactly what happened with my mom's family. There were 8 kids and when she passed there was no central location (mom's house) for everyone to congregate. Being spread out across the US doesn't make it easy, but the death of a parent or grandparent really does change family or clan dynamics.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:51 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
When someone like the people above pass into eternity it makes me re-evaluate my relationship with the Lord and ask myself if I am truly on that straight and narrow path, or have I veered off.

Well, I don't immediately start pondering on ideas of reward and punishment being administered in an afterlife. Such an idea has very little to reccomend itself and is impossible to know - especially if one has spent time with the "Wisdom Books" of the Bible. The writer of Ecclesiastes ponders whether such an idea of retributive justice in the afterlife has any merit:
Moreover I saw under the sun that in the place of justice, wickedness was there, and in the place of righteousness, wickedness was there as well.
I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked for he has appointed a time for every matter, and for every work.

I said in my heart with regard to human beings that God ("has sifted them out", or "is testing them") [ the entire verse in Hebrew is very uncertain. Educated guesses are the best one can do]
to show that they are but animals.
For the fate of man and the fate of animals is the same: as one dies, so dies the other.
They all have the same breath, and humans have no advantage over the animals - for all is vanity [or "breath", "vapor", etc. - the Hebrew word is difficult to translate].
All go to one place; all are from the dust, and all turn to dust again.
Who knows whether the spirit of man goes upward and the spirit of animals goes downward to the earth? [the word can have the connotation of "Underworld"]

So I saw that there is nothing better than that all should enjoy their work, for that is their lot;
Who can bring them to see what will be after them?
(Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 3:16-22, NRSV - emended)
"Who knows"? The book is extremely pessimistic of the idea of an afterlife, or even of standard religious ideas of reward and punishment for behavior - whether the "judgement" occurs during life (pre-Hellenistic Jewish thought) or after death (the Hellenistic idea of an afterlife adopted by Jewish thinkers). This book is how I tend to think when a loved one dies, unfortunately.

I also inevitably think of the utter hevel of almost all of life's endeavors, as temporary as they and life are...
I think of all the time I SHOULD have spent with my loved one, and didn't. That is always a thought that jabs at me.

Quote:
I understand what you mean about your grandmother passing and you realized she was the glue to the family. That is exactly what happened with my mom's family. There were 8 kids and when she passed there was no central location (mom's house) for everyone to congregate. Being spread out across the US doesn't make it easy, but the death of a parent or grandparent really does change family or clan dynamics.

Yes, indeed..
When my grandparents both passed away, it felt as if life contained a great void. They had 9 children, so the family was enormous and their house had always been THE meeting place. Now it's for sale....

Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
It re-affirms my belief that we are all here for only a brief period of time, and that we need to enjoy life to the fullest while we are here. Tens of thousands of lives end each and every day. Tens of thousands of new ones take their place each and every day. There is something very comforting about the regularity of that cycle.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
It re-affirms my belief that we are all here for only a brief period of time, and that we need to enjoy life to the fullest while we are here. Tens of thousands of lives end each and every day. Tens of thousands of new ones take their place each and every day. There is something very comforting about the regularity of that cycle.
Yes, indeed!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
I tend to wonder what the person was thinking or feeling at the time. If it's a horrific death, I feel bad that the person went through whatever fear or terror or pain. If it's a peaceful death, then I usually just hope the person's last thoughts were happy ones. Other than that, I am more likely to feel bad for whatever family/friends/children the person left behind. If it's a family member, I tend to be the practical one while others grieve or whatever.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:12 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
In fact, there was death recently. I find it hard to get broken up about it as it is a natural event and the sadness is mainly for the sadness of others. If a death is too early or is unpleasant, then that is a cause of regret, but otherwise. Why beat oneself up over what is inevitable?
I must say that I recently wrote to a friend that I would miss them greatly if he died (we are both knocking on a bit) because there is no-one with whom I can discuss matters that matter as I can with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality