Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 AM

37 posts, read 80,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
But you believe a person must be baptized to be saved, that is adding to what Jesus did on the cross. Maybe we should just stop and agree to disagree......
Well, have you ever read Mark 16:16? It says "He who believes AND is baptized shall be saved; he who does not believe shall be condemned." If a person can be saved without baptism, why would Mark 16:16 include belief AND baptism? i mean, it's there for a reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
I could be wrong, but I do not believe that others of the Jewish faith get to be baptized. They clearly believe in God, just not in Christ.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Soooo, what you are saying that God will NEVER accept anyone that doesn't do exactly what YOU say he or she should do.

I don't think you or anyone anywhere is wise enough to decide what God can or cannot do.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 AM

I am only stating the difference between early Christians and modern Christians. I believe that the early Christians, unlike many modern Christians, still see themselves as a Jewish sect.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancchick07 View Post
Well, have you ever read Mark 16:16? It says "He who believes AND is baptized shall be saved; he who does not believe shall be condemned." If a person can be saved without baptism, why would Mark 16:16 include belief AND baptism? i mean, it's there for a reason...
according to the verse you just quoted, the only thing that can condemn you is lack of belief, not lack of baptism.

I've been baptized by the way. And we baptize all our member. I'm baptists. I just hate to see anyone who thinks we can 'do' something in our own power to be saved.

It's only by grace through faith.

Baptism is necessary. But to think someone could submit to Christ's Lordship and put their trust in Him only to have Him slam the door on Glory because they didn't get dunked is totally unbiblical.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 AM

261 posts, read 621,713 times
Water Baptism is an external display of obedience and your commitment to Christ. It represents a ' cleansing" in the life of the person as well.

You can reconcile this verse by looking at the word Baptism in Mark 16:16 as meaning that you receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and repent "turning away from sin."
It makes sense when you think of the verse that says that 'The deposit of the Holy Spirit is our assurance, that we are saved.' Also, see John 1:29-34. Here, John explains why he started to Baptist. John 1:33: John says," I would not have known him (Jesus), except that the one who sent me (God) to baptist with water told me "The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit. I have seen and testify that this is the Son of God."

John is saying that he came to Baptist in order to show that Jesus is the Son of God to Israel. We have to remember that the picture of the Messiah to the Jews at that time was a great King that would come in and destroy their enemies with physical force and set them free from oppression. God picked Baptism as his introduction of the Messiah to Israel. Hence, the statement made by God, "This is my Son, with whom I am well pleased."

When we are Baptized, we are saying that we identify with Jesus and His commitment to God.

Mark 16:16 says, Whoever believes and is baptized wil be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Plain English Mark 16:16:

1. Whoever believes that God sent Jesus to die on the Cross for my sins, and receives Jesus as their Lord and Savior will be saved. John baptized with Water, Jesus Baptizes with the Holy Spirit.

2. The Holy Spirit is your assurance that you are saved. But, you must also repent and actively change your life.

3. If you do not believe that Jesus is your Lord and Savior, then you will be condemned( Not Saved).

Does this make sense? If I have confused anyone, please let me know. This is very important.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancchick07 View Post
Did you read the last part, anyone who does not BELIEVE will be condemned. It is not the water of baptism that saves but God's grace accepted through faith in Christ. Because of Jesus' response to the criminal on the cross we know it is possible to be saved without being baptized. Those who refuse to accept Jesus as their Savior will be condemned regardless of whether or not they have been baptized.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I could be wrong, but I do not believe that others of the Jewish faith get to be baptized. They clearly believe in God, just not in Christ.
Baptism started out as a Jewish tradition it didn't start out as Christian
John the baptist Baptised Jesus last i recall they were both Jews.

the misconception comes in when Christians changed the name of the act to "Christening"

Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by dncngrl1964
Quote:
Baptism started out as a Jewish tradition it didn't start out as Christian
John the baptist Baptised Jesus last i recall they were both Jews.
True, but baptism isn't something which is still practiced in Judaism, right?
IIRC only those Jews who became the first Christians kept baptism as a ritual?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964
True, but baptism isn't something which is still practiced in Judaism, right?
IIRC only those Jews who became the first Christians kept baptism as a ritual?
That I do not know I would ask a Jew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality