Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:14 PM

32 posts, read 92,355 times

Advertisements

Is everything in the Bible translated accurately?... There are statements and actions written in the scriptures that are attributed to God that seem highly unlikely that he said that (IMO)... Here are some examples:

1. In John CH 14:13,14 Jesus says that whatsoever ye shall ask in his name, he will do it... "If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

This is not true, God doesn't do whatsoever (anything) you ask him to do...God might grant your request, if it is his will... and sometimes he says No or does something else...

2. Luke CH 14:26 states " If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethen, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

I can't believe that the Lord Jesus used the word Hate here... God wants us to Love our families and friends...

3. Deuteronomy Ch 22:28,29 "If a man finds a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found: Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father 50 shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife: because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days."

This law can't be from God... The LORD would never make a woman to marry the person who raped her... Moses must have made up this one too ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 03:22 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,899,171 times
He said it all, He meant it all, and Moses didn't make anything up.

Just because The Word isn't written to our liking, doesn't make it any less True.

I'd be so criticized for trying to explain these things to you, it happens time and again.

But I will if you answer one question for me:

Who do you say Jesus is?

Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 PM

59 posts, read 128,842 times
Quote:
1. In John CH 14:13,14 Jesus says that whatsoever ye shall ask in his name, he will do it... "If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

This is not true, God doesn't do whatsoever (anything) you ask him to do...God might grant your request, if it is his will... and sometimes he says No or does something else...
If you ask in his name yes he will do it but you gotta understand this only happens to tru christians so you can't just be a athiest and ask in Jesus name for sex, drugs ..ect or if you ask for your own selfish acts like somethig you want then when you get it you forget about GOD and become ungreatfull.

Quote:
2. Luke CH 14:26 states " If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethen, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

I can't believe that the Lord Jesus used the word Hate here... God wants us to Love our families and friends...
This is because Jesus must be number one in our live's so much that our love for son's, father's, mothers ect... must be like hate compared to our love for JESUS.

3. Deuteronomy Ch 22:28,29 "If a man finds a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found: Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father 50 shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife: because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days."

This law can't be from God... The LORD would never make a woman to marry the person who raped her... Moses must have made up this one too ...[/quote]

You didint post the whole chapter but here's a verse from the same chapter
Quote:
25 But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die:
Also this was old law when Jesus died it became that faith is our salvation not by law. Allthough we must still fallow the ten commandments we are not saved by the law

Old 09-18-2007, 03:36 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,955,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
He said it all, He meant it all, and Moses didn't make anything up.

Just because The Word isn't written to our liking, doesn't make it any less True.

I'd be so criticized for trying to explain these things to you, it happens time and again.

Who do you say Jesus is?
How do you know that Jesus spoke those words...were you there? You are making a definitive statement based on two things...what you have been told by the Church and your faith and belief that Jesus said those words. If you go on fact, there is no evidence whatsoever that Jesus spoke those words, becasue no one today was around when the books were written. And that's fact. The simple truth of the matter is that anyone could have written those words and attributed them to Jesus.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:05 PM

[quote=Alpha8207;1526122]He said it all, He meant it all, and Moses didn't make anything up.

Who do you say Jesus is?[/quote

I believe Jesus to be the Son of GOD Almighty and He is my Lord and Savior and God...

You say, Moses didn't make up any laws... Then who came up with the certificate of divorce? Read Matthew CH 19: 7,8...

Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,899,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaCRV View Post
I believe Jesus to be the Son of GOD Almighty and He is my Lord and Savior and God...
That's all that really matters to me. Glad we're family.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
If you ask in his name yes he will do it but you gotta understand this only happens to tru christians so you can't just be a athiest and ask in Jesus name for sex, drugs ..ect or if you ask for your own selfish acts like something you want then when you get it you forget about GOD and become ungreatfull.

I spent 6 years in the Charismatic Movement and went to 2 Benny Hinn (Yes, I know he is a deceiver now) crusades... We prayed over many people for physical, social, and material healing... Not every prayer request was granted... Amputee's weren't healed, children with down sydrome were not cured.. I heard alot of false prophesies in the name of Lord by members and ministers unfortunately... It was taught in every Pentecostal church that I congregated that if a person didn't receive their Healing it was because of their lack of faith... I do believe that God does answers prayers and heals some people... If, it is his will too...

This is because Jesus must be number one in our live's so much that our love for son's, father's, mothers ect... must be like hate compared to our love for JESUS.

I don't have to hate anyone the put God as my First Love...

Also this was old law when Jesus died it became that faith is our salvation not by law. Allthough we must still fallow the ten commandments we are not saved by the law
I didn't say this law was a basis for Salvation... I said that this law must have been created by Moses because it doesn't fit the nature of God... God is Just... To make a Victim marry her rapist would be unjust...

Old 09-18-2007, 05:10 PM

679 posts, read 1,440,572 times
You're worried about the validity of the translations when there's no proof any of it is true. That's a kicker.
You've got a book, believe it or don't. Don't sweat the details.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 PM

116 posts, read 372,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
How do you know that Jesus spoke those words...were you there? You are making a definitive statement based on two things...what you have been told by the Church and your faith and belief that Jesus said those words. If you go on fact, there is no evidence whatsoever that Jesus spoke those words, becasue no one today was around when the books were written. And that's fact. The simple truth of the matter is that anyone could have written those words and attributed them to Jesus.
How do you what Aristotle and Socrates said was true? Many of their "works" were written 1000 years after them. Same goes for a lot of other historical figures. Most historians belive most of the Bible(NT) was written 50-100 years after his death.
50<1000

Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,955,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
How do you what Aristotle and Socrates said was true? Many of their "works" were written 1000 years after them. Same goes for a lot of other historical figures. Most historians belive most of the Bible(NT) was written 50-100 years after his death.
50<1000
For many, it is irrelevant whether the writtings of Aristole, Socrates and other historical figures were true or untrue, because those individuals never made the claim of being the Son of God and Redeemer of the World. There is a big difference; therefore, the claims of Jesus (as well as other religious figures who made similiar claims) should and must be looked at and investigated more critically than others, because of the impact of such claims on individual lives, both here as well in the afterlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality