Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM

67 posts, read 82,295 times

Advertisements

I just read that 9 out of the ten commandments of the Torah (Old Testament) were derived from the sumerian's Epic of Creation. The only difference, is that instead of resting on the seventh day, the Gods celebrated. The Epic of Creation is believed to be mythology. What are people's thoughts on this?

Another question i have is about Mark 16:17-18

"17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

Many snake handlers have died doing this. People just say it's not literal after people die, so my question is what could it possibly be a metaphor for?

My final question is why people think the major religions that have been studied since their creation without ceasing, and why people have enough sexual shame / modesty to wear clothes all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlonemillion View Post
I just read that 9 out of the ten commandments of the Torah (Old Testament) were derived from the sumerian's Epic of Creation. The only difference, is that instead of resting on the seventh day, the Gods celebrated. The Epic of Creation is believed to be mythology. What are people's thoughts on this?

"17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

Many snake handlers have died doing this. People just say it's not literal after people die, so my question is what could it possibly be a metaphor for?

My final question is why people think the major religions that have been studied since their creation without ceasing, and why people have enough sexual shame / modesty to wear clothes all the time?
I had better leave this for the Bible believers, but I'll repond anyway.

I had never before heard that the Commandments (either version) were based on the Sumerian Creation epic.

I cannot think of any metaphor for the passage added onto Mark to supply the resurrection that he didn't have. I take it as intended literally, just as the passage about removing a mountain or casting out Desmonds by Faith. If it doesn't actually seem to work then it is wrong. End of discussion.

Why we have developed shame/need to wear clothes is a very good question. Clearly some peoples (Africa, the Amazon) don't have that feeling and we aren't born with it but it is a human convention that has to be taught - like religion or sharing rather than grabbing. Where it came from and why I will have to consider.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,866,983 times
Quote:
I'd like to see your source on this. If I recall correctly, the Summarian creation story does have similarities with Genesis, such as the story pf the great flood for example, but I'm unsure of a strong relationship with the Decalogue. Either way, it shouldn't be surprising to find that the ancient Hebrews shared mythology with other groups in the area, particularly when you consider that the stories would have been an oral tradition long before being put to paper.

Quote:

As a Jew, I can't respond with any authority on Mark, but I will say that I think anyone involved in "snake handling" who thinks he won't get hurt is a loon. Quite possibly a soon-to-be-dead loon.

Quote:
Well, I'd say that religions are studied "without ceasing" because they still intrigue us, and our modestly most likely comes from a host of societal, religious, and environmental factors.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM

I have one more question. In the story of Jacob he makes striped colored animals by breeding two solid color ones, and showing them striped sticks as they mated. This clearly seems to show genetics that are contrary to what we have now.

Is this in the Torah, or just the Old Testament?

I've read one person say that G-d had mercy on Jacob and just gave him what he wanted, in spite of the fact that we could never get the same results ourselves. Where's the proof of this? Is it in the Oral Torah or actual foundational texts somewhere?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I have one more question. In the story of Jacob he makes striped colored animals by breeding two solid color ones, and showing them striped sticks as they mated. This clearly seems to show genetics that are contrary to what we have now.
Did you honestly expect otherwise?
Anyone who expects either the Torah or the Christian Bible to be a valid science text has serious issues.

Quote:
Is this in the Torah, or just the Old Testament?
The Torah is made up of the Biblical books of Bereisheet (Genesis), Shemot (Exodus), Vayikra (Leviticus), Bamidbar (Numbers), and Devarim (Deuteronomy). The Torah makes up part of what Christians call the Old Testament.

Quote:
I've read one person say that G-d had mercy on Jacob and just gave him what he wanted, in spite of the fact that we could never get the same results ourselves. Where's the proof of this? Is it in the Oral Torah or actual foundational texts somewhere?
How should I know where what you read came from?

There are many commentaries and explanations given for things, both within the Talmud and in other sources, and they often differ a great deal.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM

"Anyone who expects either the Torah or the Christian Bible to be a valid science text has serious issues."

Are you saying that one billion Christians have serious issues? Nearly all of the world's smartest people, in every field, are Jews.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
"Anyone who expects either the Torah or the Christian Bible to be a valid science text has serious issues."

Are you saying that one billion Christians have serious issues? Nearly all of the world's smartest people, in every field, are Jews.
Do try to pay attention to what I actually say.

I'm a Jew. I don't expect the Torah to be a valid science textbook, because it's not.
It is the foundational text of my religion, and a source of comfort, guidance, and inspiration.
But it is not a scientific work that lays out valid genetic discoveries.

So, now that we've dealt with your strawman, do you have any relevant questions to my post?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 PM

Not revalent to your post, but when do know when orthodox Jews stop shaving their beards? In relation to, "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard."

I was thinking about following this one, but can only grow a beard the way most asians can grow a beard, which is to say only a patchy one. Do they start only after they can grow a full beard or right away?

I just want to follow the Noahide laws and was shocked to see the beard command listed under not having false idols. So few people actually grow beards. So, I reject the idea that that's a binding covent with all of humanity. Although I do believe the general seven are.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 PM

419 posts, read 435,336 times
Quote:
Do you have an original text predating the Torah? Perhaps the sumerian epic of creation was copied off of the Genesis account. The fact that we may not have a 7000 year old copy of the Torah means nothing.
Quote:

The Book of Acts records such behavior.
Quote:
I'm not sure about poison, but I know the apostle Paul was bitten by a serpent and had no ill effects.
Quote:
It wasn't a metaphor--it was a prophetic statement about the apostles that did come true in the book of Acts.
Quote:
Because God programmed us to enjoy looking at the human body. I believe shame is a gift from God intended to keep us from sinning.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Not revalent to your post, but when do know when orthodox Jews stop shaving their beards? In relation to, "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard."

I was thinking about following this one, but can only grow a beard the way most asians can grow a beard, which is to say only a patchy one. Do they start only after they can grow a full beard or right away?
Couldn't tell you. I have a full beard, and I've had it since before my conversion.

And I know many Jews who do the best they can with what they've got.
But, with this one, the wording is very important and most English translations don't get it exactly right.
The prohibition is shaving with a razor specifically, not cutting. Since electric razors work like scissors rather than a razor, many Jews are now clean shaven.

Quote:
I just want to follow the Noahide laws and was shocked to see the beard command listed under not having false idols. So few people actually grow beards. So, I reject the idea that that's a binding covent with all of humanity. Although I do believe the general seven are.
The seven Noahide laws are the only things that are required of all people. While anyone can choose to follow most of the rest, only Jews are required to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality