Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabalfred View Post
Idolatry is hated by GOD... we normally attribute it as idolatry - whenever people bow down and serve or pray to a carved images of man or animals or whatever man may conceive in him mind... what other kinds of idols can anyone attribute that can be considered idols in our modern days?

Why isn't this in the Christian section of the fourm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why isn't this in the Christian section of the fourm?
Does it pertain only to Christians? This seems to be a topic of interest to all theists and even some Atheists.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Entertainment (Relaxation) is pretty much a necessity of life. It keeps us from over extending ourselves. Moderate entertainment would/could be things like the internet, reading for pleasure, a day off on a picnic etc. A break in routine to help us rest. But it can become an idol when we make it a goal.
I disagree.

I do not think that Relaxation-Entertainment is a necessity. It is not a 'need'.

Water is a need, food is a need.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:26 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Does it pertain only to Christians? This seems to be a topic of interest to all theists and even some Atheists.

The OP's opening thread of course. Unless you believe in the Judeo-Christian God most of us don't believe in Idolatry in the first place Let alone God. It just seems to imply that we ALL believe as the OP does.

Last edited by reed067; 10-07-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I disagree.

I do not think that Relaxation-Entertainment is a necessity. It is not a 'need'.

Water is a need, food is a need.
While it is not necessary for survival. It is a necessary component of healthy mental well being and productivity.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM

268 posts, read 275,473 times
The basic meaning of idol according to Wikipedia is :

"An idol is an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed or any person or thing regarded with blind admiration, adoration, or devotion."

See more at Wikipedia.org...

Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
While it is not necessary for survival. It is a necessary component of healthy mental well being and productivity.
This may go with the work-rest cycle principle stated in the 4th Commandment - the Sabbath.

We are to work but not to over-work and become a workaholic - our work becomes our idol

We are to rest as well but not to over-rest and become lazy and useless - resting can become our idol too

Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM

Covetousness is another form of idolatry;

Eph 5:5 "For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God."

Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 PM

When one imagines in his mind what he conceived in his heart then believes his own creation and put it into the open and shares it as though all things must gravitate to it and bow to it... then that in itself becomes and idol... a product of his own image-making machine - his heart and mind.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:11 PM

Here's something to ponder about what these idols are all about from the mind of GOD Himself:

Isa 44:6 "I am the LORD All-Powerful, the first and the last, the one and only God. Israel, I have rescued you! I am your King. 7 Can anyone compare with me? If so, let them speak up and tell me now. Let them say what has happened since I made my nation long ago, and let them tell what is going to happen. 8 Don't tremble with fear! Didn't I tell you long ago? Didn't you hear me? I alone am God-- no one else is a mighty rock.

9 Those people who make idols are nothing themselves, and the idols they treasure are just as worthless. Worshipers of idols are blind, stupid, and foolish. 10 Why make an idol or an image that can't do a thing? 11 Everyone who makes idols and all who worship them are mere humans, who will end up sadly disappointed. Let them face me in court and be terrified.

12 A metalworker shapes an idol by using a hammer and heat from the fire. In his powerful hand he holds a hammer, as he pounds the metal into the proper shape. But he gets hungry and thirsty and loses his strength. 13 Some woodcarver measures a piece of wood, then draws an outline. The idol is carefully carved with each detail exact. At last it looks like a person and is placed in a temple. 14 Either cedar, cypress, oak, or any tree from the forest may be chosen. Or even a pine tree planted by the woodcarver and watered by the rain. 15 Some of the wood is used to make a fire for heating or for cooking. One piece is made into an idol, then the woodcarver bows down and worships it. 16 He enjoys the warm fire and the meat that was roasted over the burning coals.

17 Afterwards, he bows down to worship the wooden idol. "Protect me!" he says. "You are my god." 18 Those who worship idols are stupid and blind! 19 They don't have enough sense to say to themselves, "I made a fire with half of the wood and cooked my bread and meat on it. Then I made something worthless with the other half. Why worship a block of wood?"

20 How can anyone be stupid enough to trust something that can be burned to ashes? No one can save themselves like that. Don't they realize that the idols they hold in their hands are not really gods?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality