Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:34 AM

775 posts, read 740,693 times

Advertisements

Some of the most prominent Bible verses for you to study

Hey, I don't believe in this stuff, but some of you guys do.

And as a disclaimer, I beg that none of you actually follow this.

1 Timothy 2:12: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent."

1 Samuel 15:3: "This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' "

Psalm 137: "Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

Ephesians 5:22:
"Wives, submit to you husbands as to the Lord";

1 Peter 2:18:
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel."

Leviticus 21:9: "'If a priest's daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.

It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal. There is absolutely no justification I can think of to these verses, other than that they were written by 6000 year old, primitive men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,052 times
"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property." Exodus 21:20-21

Old 10-13-2012, 09:45 AM

I guess this means all the descendants of Adam and Eve. Whoops!

"No child of an incestuous union may be admitted into the community of the Lord, nor any descendent of his even to the tenth generation." (Deuteronomy 23:3 )

Old 10-13-2012, 10:59 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
John 3:16

16*“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
John 3:16

16*“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
This justifies ordering genocide, slavery and institutionalized misogynism in whose twisted universe? How is making your own son die to fix the world you created noble?

Do you think bringing up a contrary biblical verse refutes certain biblical verses? All it does is establish a contradiction, genius.

My god, how you could possibly read that Moses wanted his followers to slaughter children and have the words go in one ear and out the other is beyond me. God knows what's going on in there.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
This justifies ordering genocide, slavery and institutionalized misogynism in whose twisted universe? How is making your own son die to fix the world you created noble?

Do you think bringing up a contrary biblical verse refutes certain biblical verses? All it does is establish a contradiction, genius.

My god, how you could possibly read that Moses wanted his followers to slaughter children and have the words go in one ear and out the other is beyond me. God knows what's going on in there.
And why did you make the OP? What was your reason? Are you insecure in your beliefs? Is that why you feel the need to bash Christianity? That appears to be what this thread is about.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
And why did you make the OP? What was your reason? Are you insecure in your beliefs? Is that why you feel the need to bash Christianity? That appears to be what this thread is about.
Ad hominem. I have every right to criticize your beliefs and point out verses in the Bible that are clearly what we would call hate speech today. Are you so full of yourself that you feel your faith is above criticism?

Now instead of attacking the man, attack the argument. Rationalize God ordering Moses to slaughter women and children.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Are the verses quoted not in the Bible? I understand why many Bible verses would make you uncomfortable, but don't blame us for exposing them.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Attacking the man? You mean like you did, "genius"?

I bet you're aware of the reason Scripture gives for the event you mentioned. What was it?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Are the verses quoted not in the Bible? I understand why many Bible verses would make you uncomfortable, but don't blame us for exposing them.
I'm not uncomfortable because I know the reason. I bet you do too.

This thread is nothing but a bunch of Christian bashing, and using Jewish scripture to do it. Maybe I'm giving you all more credit than is deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality