Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM

81 posts, read 128,140 times

Advertisements

One topic that I like to discuss with religious people is that there is not just one religion out there but according to studies there are a little more than 10,000 distinct ones and Christianity is only counted as one even though there are different nominations within it. All of these think that they are correct and many (not all) think that you have to follow their way of life in order to get to heaven etc. Even within Christianity for example there are many groups that think that other Christians will go straight to hell because they don't follow the right scriptures etc. Maybe not a good example but the extreme Westboro Baptist church come to mind here. Jehovah's Witness believes as well that no other christian group except for them will end up in heaven...( I can give you hundreds more).....Think about it, if you have a religious answer to a question here on this forum that is only one out of 10,000 different views on it. Sorry, I mean more than 10,000 because within each religion there are more than one answer to the particular question when looking at their scriptures, guidelines etc.

My questions:

1. If anyone would say that they believe in Zeus or Thor what would you think about that person. You would probably think that he is crazy right? What is the difference of believing in Zeus compared to Jesus for example. In South America there are hundreds of local religions with their own beliefs and gods. If your brother came home one day and said that he now is a strong believer of an ancient Bolivian God you never heard about you would probably think he is a little bit nuts. Once again, what is the difference between this ancient Bolivian god and yours. Everyone think they are so unique and that their belief is true. Many people look at other religions as being weird but then again Christians for example believe that people could walk on water as an example. Is it weirder for a Bolivian religion to think that sacrificing a sheep will get you good weather for the crop they are growing compared to a christian holy figure who walks on water.
A lot of people would probably say, no "I respect other religions"...well you might respect them but you don't believe in them. Does anyone here believe in two religions.....

2. I'm pretty sure that each religion can write page after page why their particular religion is the "right" one including an ancient Bolivian religion and all of them think they are so unique but it's oblivious that is not the case. Why does everyone believe that they are so unique.

I don't discriminate against any of the 10,000 religions and the thousands denominations within each religion...Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Denominations / Christianity:
1970: 26,350
1995: 33,820

Guess what...Christianity is only counted as one of these 10,000 religions and within it you have thousands of denominations who have different beliefs. I guess that all these denominations think that they are "correct", "unique", "....have the right answer".....Go figure.....

I go back to my question..Why do all these thousands of religions think they are so unique..When I read questions on this forum like:
1. How to prove God to yourself.
2. Why is GOD a Jealous GOD and Hates Idols?
3. Individually examining the 100 proofs of God.

Which of the thousands of gods do you mean I should answer all these questions about or do you fall in to the "unique" category and think that we speak about your particular god. No religion is unique compared to the other...All of them have arguments that they are correct, unique etc....Most of these religions also totally contradicts each other....

Last edited by june 7th; 10-16-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
I think it's important to point out that 3 of the major world religions (Christianty, Judiasm, & Islam) all worship the same God.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I think it's important to point out that 3 of the major world religions (Christianty, Judiasm, & Islam) all worship the same God.
ok..what about the other 9,997 religions. If you ask a christian or Muslim and ask if the other have the correct view they will definitely say "no". Christians say you have to accept Jesus as the son of God otherwise you are not correct...the others don't accept Jesus as the son of God... Muslims say something similar about their religion....the jews as well.......They don't have the same view...period. As all religions...they contradict each other on so many things....

Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
LOL...that is particularly funny given that people are eagerly and readily told on this forum that Allah is not the same god as the Christian god. Just saying...

Old 10-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
ok..what about the other 9,997 religions.
That's why I said '"major". The vast majority of religious people worship the same God.

Quote:
If you ask a christian or Muslim and ask if the other have the correct view they will definitely say "no". Christians say you have to accept Jesus as the son of God otherwise you are not correct...the others don't accept Jesus as the son of God... Muslims say something similar about their religion....the jews as well.......They don't have the same view...period. As all religions...they contradict each other on so many things....
You make good points, but these 3 religions all stem from Abraham.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
LOL...that is particularly funny given that people are eagerly and readily told on this forum that Allah is not the same god as the Christian god. Just saying...
I don't read threads on Islam, so I'll trust you on that. Nevertheless...

Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
That's why I said '"major". The vast majority of religious people worship the same God.

You make good points, but these 3 religions all stem from Abraham.
Now you're falling into this "unique" category. That makes it even more strange if they come from the same (Abraham) because they totally contradict each other....Should I list all the contractions between:

1. Protestants
2. Catholics
3. Mormons
4. Jehovah's witness
5. Orthodox
6. Baptist
7. ....hundreds other ones within Christianity

You seem to think that if a religion have more followers that make them more "correct" or what exactly do you men when you say that the majority believe in it. In numbers yes, being more "correct"...no or is that what you are saying that they are more "true" than the other 9,997 religions.

If that is the case then Hinduism is more true than Judaism because they have more followers and the same with Buddhist for that mater. Just because a religion has more followers doesn't make it more "true".

Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Now you're falling into this "unique" category. That makes it even more strange if they come from the same (Abraham) because they totally contradict each other....Should I list all the contractions between:

1. Protestants
2. Catholics
3. Mormons
4. Jehovah's witness
5. Orthodox
6. Baptist
7. ....hundreds other ones within Christianity
Totally contradict? No. Completely agree on doctrine? No. Worship the God of Abraham? Yes.

Quote:
You seem to think that if a religion have more followers that make them more "correct" or what exactly do you men when you say that the majority believe in it. In numbers yes, being more "correct"...no or is that what you are saying that they are more "true" than the other 9,997 religions.

If that is the case then Hinduism is more true than Judaism because they have more followers and the same with Buddhist for that mater. Just because a religion has more followers doesn't make it more "true".
Not my point at all. Rather, I believe that your implication that all the world's religions are completely in contrast to each other, is false. Again, the majority of religious people worship the God of Abraham.

Although I believe the Abrahamic God is the only true god, I'm not interested in arguing that point with you.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Totally contradict? No. Completely agree on doctrine? No. Worship the God of Abraham? Yes.

Not my point at all. Rather, I believe that your implication that all the world's religions ", is false. Again, the majority of religious people worship the God of Abraham.

Although I believe the Abrahamic God is the only true god, I'm not interested in arguing that point with you.
I'm glad that you have an open mind and don't care about the thousands of contradictions between the Christian religions. So what if the majority believe in Christianity, Islam or Judaism. Share numbers don't mean anything..Zeus and Thor were the biggest Gods at one time in History.....Will that make them the true gods then..wait..now nobody believes in them.....Ok, let's not discuss that Abrahamic is the only true God..

Communism and capitalism have one common goal and that is to have a "good society". So they don't contradict each other then either if I follow your example that all religions "are not completely in contrast to each other".

Last edited by johnsweeting; 10-15-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 06:02 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Unless Christians have suddenly rejected the idea that Jesus is god en masse, this is false. If you have, that's one thing, but I don't see a major effort in mainstream churches to get rid of the Nicene Creed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality