Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:13 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times

Advertisements

I don't know a great deal of it yet it is famous for its mass marriage ceremony where couples marry each other even if they barely know each other.

I am aware that its leader Sun Myung Moon died recently. He was a staunch anti-communist.

Is there anyone here a member of the Unification Church or know of anyone in it? Do they see it as Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
No it is considered a cult.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:45 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
The Unification Church isn't a cult by definition, a cult leader has the desire to be worshiped, Sun Myung Moon did not. Their beliefs stem from the teaching of Christ and Sun Myung Moon thought that the Christ appeared to him asking him to carry on Christ teachings. The may have been theological differences between the Unification Church and many "mainstream" Christian churches but that in and of itself doesn't make it a cult.

My understanding of what is a Christian, is one who believes in and follows the teachings of Christ.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The Unification Church isn't a cult by definition, a cult leader has the desire to be worshiped, Sun Myung Moon did not. Their beliefs stem from the teaching of Christ and Sun Myung Moon thought that the Christ appeared to him asking him to carry on Christ teachings. The may have been theological differences between the Unification Church and many "mainstream" Christian churches but that in and of itself doesn't make it a cult.

My understanding of what is a Christian, is one who believes in and follows the teachings of Christ.
Not really. A Christian is one who believes in and acts upon the redemptive work of Jesus Christ (John 3 and James 2)

To answer the OP, it appears the answer is no, based on the following:

Unification Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In order for God to send the Messiah, mankind must fulfill certain conditions which restore what was lost through the Fall. Restoration takes place through the paying of indemnity for (making reparations for) sin.

Christianity teaches that it was Christ, and not man who made restoration for sin.

*I don't know much about The Unification Church, and this article is in dispute, so keep that in mind. Maybe someone else knows better about their beliefs.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
This is a quote from Sun Myung Moon son stated recently about Jesus:

We’ve learned from the Principle that Jesus came to offer not only spiritual salvation but physical salvation as well. However, because of the insufficiencies of humanity, Jesus died earlier than he should have, and he was able to give only spiritual salvation to humanity. When God had to send Jesus the way of the cross, this was a very painful thing for God. Also, this was not the path that God originally desired for Jesus. If only humanity had received Jesus and accepted him as Messiah, he would not have gone that course!

Jesus went that way, however, in the end. Even though this was not God’s first choice, God was able to use that course to give humanity spiritual salvation. In other words, the crucifixion and resurrection course of Jesus made it possible for humanity’s mind to go to God, and humanity could receive salvation in the world of the heart and the mind.

Unification Church News

Yes they are Christian in the sense of believing in the divinity of Jesus and the crucifixion yet the Moonies believe that Jesus works were incomplete due to him being crucified.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not really. A Christian is one who believes in and acts upon the redemptive work of Jesus Christ (John 3 and James 2)

To answer the OP, it appears the answer is no, based on the following:

Unification Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In order for God to send the Messiah, mankind must fulfill certain conditions which restore what was lost through the Fall. Restoration takes place through the paying of indemnity for (making reparations for) sin.

Christianity teaches that it was Christ, and not man who made restoration for sin.

*I don't know much about The Unification Church, and this article is in dispute, so keep that in mind. Maybe someone else knows better about their beliefs.
Might be interesting to have some more information. The above doctrinal objection to the Unification church as being Christian seems minor and arguable. God's plan has always involved some required behaviour by man.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Might be interesting to have some more information. The above doctrinal objection to the Unification church as being Christian seems minor and arguable. God's plan has always involved some required behaviour by man.
You are incorrect. Christian salvation is different from all others. God reaches out to us and offers salvation based on who Jesus was/is, not our goodness. Salvation by works is not Christian.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You are incorrect. Christian salvation is different from all others. God reaches out to us and offers salvation based on who Jesus was/is, not our goodness. Salvation by works is not Christian.
James 2.14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?

Old 10-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
James 2.14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?
You misunderstand this passage. The context is, genuine faith promotes action. A faith that is empty of love for others is false.

James 2

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

This passage defines Christianity:

Ephesians 2

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
You misunderstand this passage. The context is, genuine faith promotes action. A faith that is empty of love for others is false.

James 2

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

This passage defines Christianity:

Ephesians 2

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Of course, but the point is not about salvation (how quickly you religious bods lode the track of an argument), but about the actions (or works) of people - Christian, Jewish or not -as aspects of God's unfolding plan. Which you denied on the grounds of Faith not works,to which I responded by showing that works are involved too, so human actions as requirements in the supposed plan of God cannot be denied as you did.

The point of the argument is that your grounds for denying the Unification Church status as Christian is on the basis of their claim that "mankind must fulfill certain conditions" because you posted "salvation based on who Jesus was/is, not our goodness."

Works also have a part to play as per James' letter, so human actions as part of Gods plan cannot be doctrinally made a reason to deny the Unification Church Christianity status.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-27-2012 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality