Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 AM

152 posts, read 142,915 times

Advertisements

Think of all the great words and great teachings as your deadly enemy. Avoid them, because you have to find your own source. You have not to be a follower, an imitator. You have to be an original individual; you have to find your innermost core on your own, with no guide, no guiding scriptures. It is a dark night, but with the intense fire of inquiry you are bound to come to the sunrise.

Everybody who has burned with intense inquiry has found the sunrise. Others only believe. Those who believe are not religious, they are simply avoiding the great adventure of religion by believing.

Osho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM. View Post
Think of all the great words and great teachings as your deadly enemy. Avoid them, because you have to find your own source. You have not to be a follower, an imitator. You have to be an original individual; you have to find your innermost core on your own, with no guide, no guiding scriptures. It is a dark night, but with the intense fire of inquiry you are bound to come to the sunrise.

Everybody who has burned with intense inquiry has found the sunrise. Others only believe. Those who believe are not religious, they are simply avoiding the great adventure of religion by believing.

Osho
I am so confused! Should I believe you? Or are you my deadly enemy?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH I have to find my own source!!!!!!!!!!

My source is the Bible. It says we're all sinners destined for hell unless we have Christ to pay the penalty for our sin.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I am so confused! Should I believe you? Or are you my deadly enemy?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH I have to find my own source!!!!!!!!!!

My source is the Bible. It says we're all sinners destined for hell unless we have Christ to pay the penalty for our sin.
Hmmm.... it sounds like Osho might say that you are looking for ready-made answers available to you from scripture... you know, as opposed to searching for your own answers from within to your own questions. But the reality is that not everyone operates the same way, and that is what makes life go around.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Thank you, Osho. Can't agree more. Only one's thinking, concentrated on the subject in question, will reveal entire truth about it, by The Light of Intelligence.

The philosopher Thoreau wrote: If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps he hears a different drummer. And now you are following a different drummer--the higher nature instead of the lower. - Peace Pilgrim

Once you are living your life in awareness, it will be as though you stand high above others, witnessing their suffering, while you do not suffer at all. – Buddha

So is it possible to see the limitations of thought and give it its right place, and therefore giving the right place to thought brings about clarity - right? We mean by right place - the art of that intelligence which comes through investigation, through exploration, that art - the very meaning of that word is to put everything where it belongs, put everything in our life where it belongs, and to find out where it belongs you need tremendous intelligence. - J. Krishnamurti

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. – Buddha

Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Hmmm.... it sounds like Osho might say that you are looking for ready-made answers available to you from scripture... you know, as opposed to searching for your own answers from within to your own questions. But the reality is that not everyone operates the same way, and that is what makes life go around.
So Osho is saying I can't believe Osho?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM. View Post

Osho
Ah, but they have "faith". That's where you believe something REALLY REALLY REALLY hard.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
So Osho is saying I can't believe Osho?

Here's another quote..

“Doubt--because doubt is not a sin, it is a sign of your intelligence. You are not responsible to any nation, to any church, to any God. You are responsible only for one thing, and that is self knowledge. And the miracle is, if you can fulfill this responsibility, you will be able to fulfill many other responsibilities without any effort. The moment you come to your own being, a revolution happens in your vision. Your whole outlook about life goes through a radical change. You start feeling new responsibilities--not as some thing to be done, not as a duty to be fulfilled, but as a joy to do.”

....doesn't sound like he cares much whether people believe in him or not..... that's not the meta-message that I get from him.

Osho Quotes (Author of Courage)

Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM

382 posts, read 722,103 times
Ah, yes, word of wisdom from "The Rolls Royce Guru" . To each their own, but I find a lot of modern spiritual talk to be either fairly obvious, or hyper self-indulgent.

In this case, there's no doubt that his "radical" message is appealing, as it's essentially saying that deep down, we know what we really want to pursue in life, so we shouldn't blindly follow any tradition or teacher, however "noble" or venerable. In this there's an echo of Gautama's admirable admonition to skeptically test religious principles against one's own experience.

However, a) Osho's own slavishly devoted disciples hardly followed this advice, and b) practically speaking, I feel this attitude often leads people to cast aside the restraint and discipline of specific religious traditions in order to simply float on the surface, chasing spiritual highs and fads.

I'm not even religious, but it seems to me that established religions have always tried to delineate the difference between "finding a path that rings true" vs "indulging our every inclination". One of the things that turned me personally off religion is that I realized that my definition of "god" and "his plan for my life" was always strikingly similar to my own prejudices. It feels good to imagine the deity approving of your politics or desire to be rich, for example, but why even bother with religion if that's what you're left with?

The fact that post-modern spirituality revels in such ---dare I say it --- narcissistic pandering strikes me as a bit shallow. But maybe I'm being too critical. What do you think?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Here's another quote..

“Doubt--because doubt is not a sin, it is a sign of your intelligence. You are not responsible to any nation, to any church, to any God. You are responsible only for one thing, and that is self knowledge. And the miracle is, if you can fulfill this responsibility, you will be able to fulfill many other responsibilities without any effort. The moment you come to your own being, a revolution happens in your vision. Your whole outlook about life goes through a radical change. You start feeling new responsibilities--not as some thing to be done, not as a duty to be fulfilled, but as a joy to do.”

....doesn't sound like he cares much whether people believe in him or not..... that's not the meta-message that I get from him.

Osho Quotes (Author of Courage)
So if it's only up to what I understand to be true.....what if I understand Osho and his philosophy to be a bunch of hooey? Then.....the very thing telling me that I should only worry about my own philosophy is wrong?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
So if it's only up to what I understand to be true.....what if I understand Osho and his philosophy to be a bunch of hooey? Then.....the very thing telling me that I should only worry about my own philosophy is wrong?
From my limited knowledge of Osho, I know that he had a bad taste for philosophy. He identified more with being an existentialist than a philosopher even though in his earlier life he was a professor of philosophy. He basically thought that philosophy was too much about the mind and about mental gymnastics and that he was more about living and experiencing life. So I have a feeling that when you say "his philosophy," he might have taken exception and replied something like, "What philosophy, I have no philosophy."

He also might take exception with your idea concerning your philosophy being a "true philosophy" (you said: "My source is the Bible. It says we're all sinners destined for hell unless we have Christ to pay the penalty for our sin.").

Now, if you think his ideas are a bunch of crapola that's fine. If you are trying to sell your beliefs, like you do on this forum, then you have plenty to be concerned about on your own... so it seems to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality