Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that when I was growing up, I never questioned the idea of the second coming. It was just so central to Christian theology that I never really explored it.

That being said, I'm curious about it and have several questions.

What is the justification for it, and how did it develop?
Since the messianic prophecies are found in the Jewish Tanakh, do Christians also find prophecies concerning the second coming there as well?
If not, is that seen as being significant in any way?

I ask that anyone who wants to discuss it to please feel free to do so.
Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 11-16-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
[quote=Juliet Bravo;26930752]I have to admit that when I was growing up, I never questioned the idea of the second coming. It was just so central to Christian theology that I never really explored it.

That being said, I'm curious about it and have several questions.

What is the justification for it, and how did it develop?
Since the messianic prophecies are found in the Jewish Tanakh, do Christians also find prophecies concerning the second coming there as well?
[quote]

For the Jews in the OT Jesus never came he didn't fufill any of the prophicies. Being that the Jewish people were Gods chosen people he didn't save them like they expected him too. So they are still waiting for him to come save them first.

Not sure if this is what your looking for.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
For the Jews in the OT Jesus never came he didn't fufill any of the prophicies. Being that the Jewish people were Gods chosen people he didn't save them like they expected him too. So they are still waiting for him to come save them first.

Not sure if this is what your looking for.
Nope. I know how Judaism views Jesus.

Christian theology states (and if I remember correctly, Islam echos) that Jesus is the messiah, and he will fulfill the messianic prophecies when he returns.

And it is the prophecy of that return that I am interested in.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
Nope. I know how Judaism views Jesus.

Christian theology states (and if I remember correctly, Islam echos) that Jesus is the messiah, and he will fulfill the messianic prophecies when he returns.

And it is the prophecy of that return that I am interested in.
Yes we Muslims believe Jesus(as) is the Mas'ah (Messiah) but not in the same context of the Christians. We believe he was anointed (Mas'ah means anointed one) to be a great Prophet(PBUH) not a savior.

While us Muslims do believe Jesus(as) will return it is because we believe he did not die. His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission (to destroy the dajjal and to testify against those who worshiped him as a god) and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 AM

21,127 posts, read 19,707,707 times
There are many references to the Second Coming in the New Testament (many by Christ himself). I (as a Christian) always considered the Jewish references to the coming of the messiah as referring to his First Coming. (But I can't speak as an authority.)

Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Yes we Muslims believe Jesus(as) is the Mas'ah (Messiah) but not in the same context of the Christians. We believe he was anointed (Mas'ah means anointed one) to be a great Prophet(PBUH) not a savior.

While us Muslims do believe Jesus(as) will return it is because we believe he did not die. His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission (to destroy the dajjal and to testify against those who worshiped him as a god) and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
Thank you, Woodrow. I though I had remembered it correctly.

Can you narrow down where that belief comes from? Is it related to the Christian prophecies Retroit alluded to, or is it based on teachings in the Quran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
There are many references to the Second Coming in the New Testament (many by Christ himself). I (as a Christian) always considered the Jewish references to the coming of the messiah as referring to his First Coming. (But I can't speak as an authority.)
Thank for responding, Retroit.
I figured that it was most likely found in the New Testament, but wasn't positive.
Can you give any specifics, by any chance?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
Thank you, Woodrow. I though I had remembered it correctly.

Can you narrow down where that belief comes from? Is it related to the Christian prophecies Retroit alluded to, or is it based on teachings in the Quran?

A little of each. We do not believe Islam is a new religion we believe it has always been and that Prophets(PBUH) had been sent to all nations. However only 3 previous revelations are known to us those being The Tauret (Torah) The Zaboor (Book of Psalms) and the Injil (The Gospel of Jesus) However man has always gone astray so the message was revealed one final time (the Qur'an) as our last chance to get it right.

You will find similarities between the Qur'an and the Christian Bible and the Torah. Not because of any influence but because they came from the same source. We are probably closer to the Torah in the concept of the Messiah as we do feel the Christians went way off base on that.

I would say it is not that the Torah influenced our concept of the Messiah but that there was a single original source and we finally got it right in the Qur'an. You probably feel we are the ones who got it wrong, which I have no problem with. Hey, if we agreed on everything we wouldn't be different religions.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 AM

81 posts, read 128,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

I have a pretty good view of what will happen...

1 year from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
10 years from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death
50 years from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
100 years from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
1000 years from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
1 Million years from now you will say -His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
1 Billion years from now (if the world exists) you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.

Do you want to bet against me that I'm correct about my predictions above. I will give you a 500 to 1 deal. Wait, I will give you a 1,000,000,000 to 1 deal as a matter of fact.

The clock is ticking.....trust me he will never come back.

There are according to studies a little more than 10,000 religions on this earth and 9,997 don't even believe in Jesus. Why would your so called holy figure be true an not the other 9,997. I bet you think you are "unique" and the others are false right??? They are as passionate, dedicated, "think they are correct" and argue the same way you do for their particular religion. You are not unique. The other 9,997 think they are correct as well. You need to face a thing called "reality".

These 9,997 other religions can write 1,000 pages why their religion is correct which I think is the case also for you. You are no more special than these 9,997 religions are. Reality check......Wake up.

According to study:

The 2001 edition of Barrett's World Christian Encyclopedia, identifies 10,000 distinct religions, of which 150 have 1 million or more followers. Within Christianity (counted as just one religion), 33,830 different denominations are counted. This would include denominations as large as Catholicism and as small as Shakers.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
I have a pretty good view of what will happen...

1 year from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
10 years from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death
50 years from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
100 years from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
1000 years from now you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
1 Million years from now you will say -His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.
1 Billion years from now (if the world exists) you will say - His purpose has not been completed. It is essential he return to fulfill his mission and to die an earthly death as it is ordained all of mankind will die a bodily death.

Do you want to bet against me that I'm correct about my predictions above. I will give you a 500 to 1 deal. Wait, I will give you a 1,000,000,000 to 1 deal as a matter of fact.

The clock is ticking.....trust me he will never come back.

There are according to studies a little more than 10,000 religions on this earth and 9,997 don't even believe in Jesus. Why would your so called holy figure be true an not the other 9,997. I bet you think you are "unique" and the others are false right??? They are as passionate, dedicated, "think they are correct" and argue the same way you do for their particular religion. You are not unique. The other 9,997 think they are correct as well. You need to face a thing called "reality".

These 9,997 other religions can write 1,000 pages why their religion is correct which I think is the case also for you. You are no more special than these 9,997 religions are. Reality check......Wake up.

According to study:

The 2001 edition of Barrett's World Christian Encyclopedia, identifies 10,000 distinct religions, of which 150 have 1 million or more followers. Within Christianity (counted as just one religion), 33,830 different denominations are counted. This would include denominations as large as Catholicism and as small as Shakers.
As a Muslim I do not know who will or will not go to heaven. That is strictly up to the individual and God(swt) we do believe all who sincerely submit to God(swt) will achieve heaven. But we can not know that as we can not see what is in another person's Heart.

As for the return of Jesus(as) we believe there are about 25 events that will occur first and not all of those have occurred yet. We also believe it will be very near the last day. there are about 50 events that will happen before the last day, 10 have occurred 12 are currently occurring the remainder are still in the future. While it is possible for all these events to occur immediately and at any moment it does not seem likely. We Muslims don't have the faintest idea when Jesus(as) will return or when the last day will be. We don't make any predictions as to when, just state what events will be completed first.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 AM

81 posts, read 128,163 times
Quote:
As for the return of Jesus(as) we believe there are about 25 events that will occur first and not all of those have occurred yet.
What are these evens 25 that will occur and what are the ones that have occurred so far. Please give me some of them.

Quote:
We also believe it will be very near the last day. there are about 50 events that will happen before the last day, 10 have occurred 12 are currently occurring the remainder are still in the future.
What are these evens 50 that will happen. I'm also interested in the 10 that have occurred and the 12 that are currently occurring. Please give me some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality