Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:04 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
[/b]

What causes sentience? (I know that answer, do you?)
Doesn't really matter, I was merely saying that sentience isn't what makes a human a human, it just makes a sentient human... and so such "souls" aren't even human, and thus identifying with them would merely help us ignore our humanity (often to our own detriment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 11:06 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
....If the body and brain produce a soul...
the body and brain do not "produce a soul"
the soul inhabits and animates the body

the soul exists before the body is ever born, it is a spark of God that connects us to God, God is both immanent (inside us) and transcendent (out there all around us). the soul enters the body to give it life, when the body "dies" the soul leaves the body, until the next incarnation, when it enters the next body. in between incarnations the previous life is reviewed, and the soul decides what homework still needs to be done, and this determines the circumstances of the next incarnation.

easy peasy

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-10-2016 at 11:18 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
taking classes and reading books about religion is useless unless you put what you learn into practice.
it's like saying you read some cookbooks and now boast that you not only know how to cook but you claim to be a gourmet chef.
If you are implying that he should try self-hypnosis for different belief systems and see which ones stick hardest emotionally... that would merely be a round-about way of being extremely foolish with the use of his cognitive skillls. It's like saying: taking classes in criminology and reading books about what crime is, is useless unless you put what you learn into practice by trying to be a criminal literally.

Bibliolatrist Religion is like a bunch of people reading some cookbooks and then boasting that they know the only way to cook that grants you immortality since they followed those particular cookbooks to their own interpretation. A pinch of salt here, al-dente there, and violà here is the only pasta that is actually good since I experienced it as such.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:

the soul exists before the body is ever born, it is a spark of God that connects us to God, God is both immanent (inside us) and transcendent (out there all around us). the soul enters the body to give it life, when the body "dies" the soul leaves the body, until the next incarnation, when it enters the next body. in between incarnations the previous life is reviewed, and the soul decides what homework still needs to be done, and this determines the circumstances of the next incarnation.

easy peasy
Trees are animated, volcanoes are animated, suns and moons are animated, our TV's are animated, are you talking about gravity, EM, and strong and weak nuclear forces as "soul" ?

If a soul "connects us" and "exists before our parents birth us" then it really isn't "us". If a God is both inside us and all around us, but "separate" from us, what is such "separate" "co-substance" that isn't God? 2nd God? Material which doesn't need God for it's existence?

When does the "soul" grant the body life? When does a "soul" stop granting life to a sperm, and another to an egg (ovum) in order that some "outside" soul comes in and takes their place in the "host matter"? What is the "soul" of a chimera? The fertilized single-celled gamete is always alive, so when two of such fertilized gametes (two sperms and two eggs) fuse to form a human chimera, when does one soul leave and the other depart? when someone takes you heart out from you, your heart still beats as you watch it in Aztec ecstasy or Christian horror, where is your soul then? where is the soul of your heart that the cells are still alive? What is the soul of cancer? As an amoeba reincarnates, doesn't the skin cell from your scrape also fall on the floor and live until it dies? How many souls does your body have, multicellular eukaryote? What does a cell feel guilty of? What is it's homework?

You easy peasy seems rather hard given these facts that show that such over simplifications would hardly stand against observed realities.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:34 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
The situations you cite are examples of dysfunction, disruption, or disconnect of the Soul (TV program) from the factory (TV Studio) that produces it. Without the body and brain, there can be no production of Soul. What we experience as our conscious awareness is the delayed replay of the recorded "in-process" creation of soul that becomes our cumulative Soul (unconscious Self) residing within the unified field. Any disruptions in the recorded memories or dysfunction in the processes of the brain inhibit or alter the Soul's interaction with reality and with the production of more soul.

The situations I cite are also examples of a perfect person, imperfect. So what about their situations isn't them?

If the soul is a TV program-like substance (the program on software), what would be the aspect that makes it an individual's identity? If the body and brain produce a soul... why wouldn't the "disfunction" produced also be the soul?

If conscious awareness is just a delayed copy of this soul-idea (as unconsciousness/subconscious) and not our identity itself, who would identify with their subconscious instead of their consciousness? A delayed copy is it's own individual, especially if differentiated by an imperfect copying process.

If a soul's interactions with reality and their further production of "soul" can be altered and/or inhibited... I actually don't know what this would imply.
You know you are talking like an L. Ron Hubbard of Scientology infamy, who coined the terms "Reactive" and "Analytical" mind.

When a person is fully conscious, his analytical mind is fully in command. When the individual is “unconscious” in full or in part, the reactive mind cuts in, in full or in part. “Unconsciousness” could be caused by the shock of an accident, anesthetic used for an operation, the pain of an injury or the deliriums of illness.

Been reading too much Dianetics in your past? There is little to no difference in your perspective other than the words you use.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
You know you are talking like an L. Ron Hubbard of Scientology infamy, who coined the terms "Reactive" and "Analytical" mind.

When a person is fully conscious, his analytical mind is fully in command. When the individual is “unconscious” in full or in part, the reactive mind cuts in, in full or in part. “Unconsciousness” could be caused by the shock of an accident, anesthetic used for an operation, the pain of an injury or the deliriums of illness.

Been reading too much Dianetics in your past? There is little to no difference in your perspective other than the words you use.
I have nothing but the same level of love for Scientology and Christianity, I would be as scared to use the word analytical in a sentence as to use the word evangelical.
Spoiler
Although it seems at least one of us has been recently studying Hubbard quite a bit.

I was merely positing questions that applied to Mystic's quote which happened to not receive the quote tags properly and so seemed like my first paragraph although it wasn't.

Personally, now that you mention it, I see not much wrong with dividing human mind into an analytical part/state and a reactive part/state. Conscious and Subconscious seem fine to me, though.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-10-2016 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:

easy peasy
Good grief, you too sound like a Hubbard fan. Sounds almost like his "thetans".

Old 07-10-2016, 11:39 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The situations you cite are examples of dysfunction, disruption, or disconnect of the Soul (TV program) from the factory (TV Studio) that produces it. Without the body and brain, there can be no production of Soul. What we experience as our conscious awareness is the delayed replay of the recorded "in-process" creation of soul that becomes our cumulative Soul (unconscious Self) residing within the unified field. Any disruptions in the recorded memories or dysfunction in the processes of the brain inhibit or alter the Soul's interaction with reality and with the production of more soul.
Quote:
Quote:
The situations I cite are also examples of a perfect person, imperfect. So what about their situations isn't them?
If the soul is a TV program-like substance (the program on software), what would be the aspect that makes it an individual's identity? If the body and brain produce a soul... why wouldn't the "disfunction" produced also be the soul?
If conscious awareness is just a delayed copy of this soul-idea (as unconsciousness/subconscious) and not our identity itself, who would identify with their subconscious instead of their consciousness? A delayed copy is it's own individual, especially if differentiated by an imperfect copying process.
If a soul's interactions with reality and their further production of "soul" can be altered and/or inhibited... I actually don't know what this would imply.
I understand your confusion. This is a complicated process that is difficult to convey in a few posts on a forum. I am mixing metaphors in trying to describe it because it is more like an embryo developing and maturing within a womb using the production of thoughts and feelings to generate its spiritual form (spiritual arms, legs, eyes, ears, etc. ) or what we would call its character. Unlike the physical embryo who has no control over how its body develops, we do have some control over how our spiritual body develops into its ultimate character. Its ultimate character will be a cumulative composite of every single thought and feeling it produces during its life.This is why developing self-control over our indiscriminate baser urges is so important. Our cumulative Soul (Self) is NOT material in the sense that our body is. It resides within the unified field as an "EM-like" energy form that retains contact with our body and brain like a transceiver until our death. Anything interfering with the operation of the transceiver will alter the production and the reception of self-reports about it.
Quote:
I understand that we disagree about this along withother things.
Quote:
easy peasy
I do not believe in reincarnation. I believe our existence is a spiritual pregnancy that is "seeded" at birth when God breathes His Spirit into our physical body. The seed develops according to the "soil" into which it is placed and according to the circumstances it experiences. In any case, once we die , our Soul is "born again" as Spirit and joins Jesus and all other "born again" Spirits in a new and very different life. My imagination fails me in trying to comprehend what it will be like, but my experiences give me hope that it will exceed the joy, happiness, unconditional acceptance and love I experience.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:00 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Good grief, you too sound like a Hubbard fan. Sounds almost like his "thetans".
you know a lot about scientology

i know nothing of it

Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
you know a lot about scientology

i know nothing of it
Happens when one studies comparative religions. A horrible cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality