Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
So I guess you have the same disdain for Wendy's, Burger King, Walgreen's, etc, etc, etc...they're on more street corners and billboards telling you to shop or eat there. They're SO in your face.
And they're on TV too...THE HORROR!!!!!!
The 10 commandments in school and city hall?...yea that happens ALL the time. LOL

It sounds like your saying everyone has the freedom to do what they want EXCEPT Christians.
How progressive, open-minded and tolerant of you.

HUGE difference between resturants & religion. Nice try though. Again this is another reason why I don't watch TV. I don't get it you want to be left alone to worship in peace but yet you can't let other's do the same. I don't see any OTHER faiths doing that.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
When it comes to religion Christians are VERY in your face about it. Churches on every corner billboards telling you to get saved, They believe that the 10 commandments should be in schools, in city hall, Turn on the TV & they are there as well. Prayer should be in schools. Really?? Do I need to continue? It's even worse if you live in the bible-belt.
Well, that would figure...since about 4 out of 5 people in the U.S. identify as Christian.

They aren't "in your face"...they are just being how they chose to be based on what they believe. It just seems that way to you because there are so many of them.
Atheists are going to be particularly "sensitive"...since that mindset is diametrically opposed to theirs...and they are so vaaaaaaastly outnumbered.

Just to hip you to sumthin' that might save you some major angst...this is an excerpt from a post I put up over 2 1/2 years ago:
I think this illustrates the main problem...especially in places like the United States. To try to separate people from Religion is to try to separate most of the population from their culture...and that will be nearly impossible to do.

Just look around...there's a church on every other corner...and they are exempt from paying taxes. Most of our laws are based on religious ethics. In every government building, and on every piece of our currency...EVERY coin and EVERY bill...is written "In God We Trust"...TRILLIONS of pieces of currency. It's such a part of this country, it wouldn't even be this country without it. And beyond that the WORLD is influenced by it...why do you think it's "2010"? It's our "way of life", our history, and our culture...that's just the way it IS.

Please don't take this as an insult, because there is no insult intended---This country is not going to be a very comfortable place for an atheist...MOF they will be constantly aggravated (I know from experience). People that have an aversion to the heat would avoid or leave Central America...People that have an aversion to the cold would avoid or leave Iceland...And you wouldn't see many Jews sticking around or going to Iran. Some places are just a "better fit". You are NEVER going to change the base culture of this country to much of a degree. You'll change a law here or there, but you'll still have to look at lots of buildings with crosses & stars on them that you pick up the tax burden they don't...see the title GOD (and the proclamation that WE trust in Him) written on most things relative to our government and even carry it on your person with your money...listen to "God Bless America" belted out at public events, and the Pledge of Allegiance (one nation under GOD) being recited...and though we typically only do the 1st verse, check out the last verse of our National Anthem (The Star Spangled Banner). I could go on and on...But the point is...it is not just the general population, but it's the country itself, including the government, that is intrinsically religious. And I don't think that, short of a big asteroid, that will change much over the next few hundred years, if ever. If an atheist is going to stick around the U.S.A. they better learn to not let religion bother them, or they will be just about constantly aggravated...and trying to change it will be a lesson in futility and a complete and total waste of their time & effort.

I would suggest to Atheists, if they are having trouble "coping" with the prolific influence of religion in the country where they now reside...they might seriously consider moving to a more secular country that has a society and culture more compatible with their mindset. Otherwise they are going to be all twisted up and miserable. Leave the ultra heavy majority Theist societies to the Theists, and go to where you will "fit in" better...you'll be more content...and so will the Theists.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
Hmmm, how many anti-gay marriage bills in how many states have you seen? Have you heard of DOMA?

How about rules regarding gay couples adopting children?

Every one of those is people of faith shoving their religion down people's throats.
1.) Perhaps gays could have their own children.
2.) Gays are not the only ones being denied marriage, there are adult relatives and polygamist who'd like to marry without discrimination.
Talking about discrimination, polygamy or any representation of is a 3rd degree felony in the state of Texas, now that just ain't right.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well, that would figure...since about 4 out of 5 people in the U.S. identify as Christian.

Just because people call themselves Christian or any other religion doesn't make it so.

Just look around...there's a church on every other corner...and they are exempt from paying taxes. Most of our laws are based on religious ethics. In every government building, and on every piece of our currency...EVERY coin and EVERY bill...is written "In God We Trust"...TRILLIONS of pieces of currency. It's such a part of this country, it wouldn't even be this country without it. And beyond that the WORLD is influenced by it...why do you think it's "2010"? It's our "way of life", our history, and our culture...that's just the way it IS.

Yes, we understand that Christianty FORCED thier way into power, & forced the native American faiths into hiding. I'm surprised you didn't save yourself the trouble & just slaughter them all.

I would suggest to Atheists, if they are having trouble "coping" with the prolific influence of religion in the country where they now reside...they might seriously consider moving to a more secular country that has a society and culture more compatible with their mindset. Otherwise they are going to be all twisted up and miserable. Leave the ultra heavy majority Theist societies to the Theists, and go to where you will "fit in" better...you'll be more content...and so will the Theists.

Perhaps Christians could go find a place where there are no people to slaughter. And live as they see fit. Once again I am no Athiest I am a Pagan & no I don't hate Christians sorry to burst your bubble, but if Christians want to live in peace then they better start learning to get along with those who are not. Because Christianty is dieing out & people are getting sick of being told what to believe & how to live by them. This country wasn't based on thier religion sorry you need to take your rose colored glasses of if you believe that.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
1.) Perhaps gays could have their own children.
2.) Gays are not the only ones being denied marriage, there are adult relatives and polygamist who'd like to marry without discrimination.
Talking about discrimination, polygamy or any representation of is a 3rd degree felony in the state of Texas, now that just ain't right.
That was an entertaining method of distracting from the real point. Props for pulling the scare tactics out.

Of course polygamy is Biblically sanctioned so you shouldn't have too much difficulty with that.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Perhaps Christians could go find a place where there are no people to slaughter. And live as they see fit. Once again I am no Athiest I am a Pagan & no I don't hate Christians sorry to burst your bubble, but if Christians want to live in peace then they better start learning to get along with those who are not. Because Christianty is dieing out & people are getting sick of being told what to believe & how to live by them. This country wasn't based on thier religion sorry you need to take your rose colored glasses of if you believe that.
Some of the things done by some people was/is terrible...their theological persuasion notwithstanding.
I've even said in many of my past posts, that in my opinion the proper thing to do would be that control of the U.S. should be given back to the Native People.
You want a real trip?...Do a search under my handle for "Founding Fathers"...and get a load of what I think of those Dudes!
But that's another bogus head-trip...agonizing over bad things done by evil people in the past.
You can drive yourself crazy about that kind of stuff if you chose. There sure is plenty to chose from over the history of mankind. Take your pick.

I'm not at all religious myself...or homosexual...or Atheist. You're Pagan?...Great! Whatever you are into...Great!
See...I have no problem what-so-ever with what others chose to be. And they can shout it from the rooftops..it doesn't bother me a bit.
As long as someone is doing nothing more than engaging in the free exercise of their Belief or Non-Belief, or whatever else they are into...as long as they are not harming (like I said before, being "bothered" isn't harm) anyone...I say, "Go For It".

Oh, and, if you are waiting for Christianity to "die out" in the U.S....you are going to be waiting a looooooong time. Sorry to tell ya...but you ain't gonna live to see it...not even if you lived hundreds of years...so getting all bolloxed up about it is kinda like spitting into a strong wind.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 PM

[quote=GldnRule;27687613

I'm not at all religious myself...or homosexual...or Atheist. You're Pagan?...Great! Whatever you are into...Great!
See...I have no problem what-so-ever with what others chose to be. And they can shout it from the rooftops..it doesn't bother me a bit.
As long as someone is doing nothing more than engaging in the free exercise of their Belief or Non-Belief, or whatever else they are into...as long as they are not harming (like I said before, being "bothered" isn't harm) anyone...I say, "Go For It".

Oh, and, if you are waiting for Christianity to "die out" in the U.S....you are going to be waiting a looooooong time. Sorry to tell ya...but you ain't gonna live to see it...not even if you lived hundreds of years...so getting all bolloxed up about it is kinda like spitting into a strong wind.[/quote]

I have no problem with anyone's faith I know it sounds like I do what does upset me is when they complain about people bashing thier faith but all the laws are seem to be bulit for them alone. They keep talking abut THIER rights be taken away or the WAR on Christianty. It gets old & yes people are taking shots at Christianty ANY religion, that makes claims such as thier was bound to come under fire at some point. Those that wrote the bible were smart enough to understand that this would happen at some point in time. MY best friend is a hardcore Christian & we LOVE the debates we take stabs at each others faiths but for us it just reforces what we both believe. As far as Chistianty dieing out no it won't die not totally but people do seems to be moving away from it in general. For what reasons I can't say even Paganism has surived it's funny because more & more people seems to be leaning towards it for some reason again I can't say why. No relgion really dies it's followers might pull away but that can be said of any faith.

Last edited by reed067; 01-08-2013 at 10:44 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No worries, I visited the South and didn't encounter much Fundamentalism but I was just passing through.

Passing though isn't so bad stick around & you'll notice it in no time at all... well that & Football.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
When it comes to religion Christians are VERY in your face about it. Churches on every corner billboards telling you to get saved, They believe that the 10 commandments should be in schools, in city hall, Turn on the TV & they are there as well. Prayer should be in schools. Really?? Do I need to continue? It's even worse if you live in the bible-belt.
What you describe sounds like just the Bible Belt and not the rest of the US.
In my 45 years of living in the states, I have not witnessed this. I've lived in a few different states and have seen maybe 2 billboards. The only time I see religion on TV is on just one channel and that's at 2am. No one is fighting to get prayer or the 10 commandments into schools or government buildings. The churches here in my town are predominantly just off of the Main Street, and surround downtown, there are 5 of them. Other than that just a few churches are scattered about. The largest religious complex we have is a Bhuddist temple. Disturbingly, this area was also the home (not same site, just in the neighborhood) of The People's Temple.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
What you're doing is no different than if I were to use Paul Hill or Pat Robertson as an adequate example of the average Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality