Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,823,755 times

Advertisements

Yes, some Christians are judgmental and hypocrites. I get that. But I have seen atheists who are just as bad as fundamental Christians, if not worse. There is a group at my college called that Secular Student Alliance, and there was one day called "blasphemy day" where they wrote on the sidewalks in chalk different things that mock Christianity. A lot of it was hateful. Another time, I peaked into their facebook page, and they were talking about going to the national day of prayer and showing up in Wizard costumes and were going to hold up stupid signs saying things like "National Day Of Spell casting" and the leader suggested that they have a "prayer competition." Yeah, how "open minded" and "tolerant" right?

Most of the kids in that club are some of the most hateful people I have come across. They claim Christians to be judgmental, when they are doing the same thing-judging Christians.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 AM

904 posts, read 1,381,786 times
Well I suppose the biggest difference is that atheists are not commanded by their deity the following two things:

1) Judge not lest ye be judged.
2) Love they neighbour as thy self.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
Well I suppose the biggest difference is that atheists are not commanded by their deity the following two things:

They are still being just as hypocritical as the "hypocrite Christians." Many refer to themselves as open-minded and tolerant, yet they are doing the opposite.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,537 times
I am not so sure it is that clear cut.

I think the issue many atheists have with theists is that their attacks are on people generally. The hatred of gays or people who choose abortion for example. Their penchant for judging others as being hell bound.

Atheists on the other side do exercise intolerance too but against ideas and not people and that is no small distinction.

But both groups are human and it is HUMANS, not atheists or theists, that are a judgmental species and that has to be noted and remembered.

My priority for both groups would be to push the slogan "Respect people, not ideas" at all of them.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I am not so sure it is that clear cut.

I think the issue many atheists have with theists is that their attacks are on people generally. The hatred of gays or people who choose abortion for example. Their penchant for judging others as being hell bound.

Atheists on the other side do exercise intolerance too but against ideas and not people and that is no small distinction.

But both groups are human and it is HUMANS, not atheists or theists, that are a judgmental species and that has to be noted and remembered.

My priority for both groups would be to push the slogan "Respect people, not ideas" at all of them.
100% well and truly spoken.

I do realize there are some overzealous atheists. Even those who proselytize. I like to discuss and argue matters of religions, but I never understood the real hardcore, vehement atheists. I haven't run into many however.

But another thing to remember is that atheists generally come from a "You have no evidence to support your claims of invisible supernatural beings or to in any way verify that the myths you believe in are completely valid and historically accurate" mindset while the point of view of the more zealous Believers is "If you don't believe what I believe, my God is going to get you and send you to enternal torment!"

Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,182 times
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that you are in college. College students have too much time on their hands and tend to be very passionate about their beliefs and causes. They truly believe that they are going to be the ones to change the world.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Yes, some Christians are judgmental and hypocrites. I get that. But I have seen atheists who are just as bad as fundamental Christians, if not worse. There is a group at my college called that Secular Student Alliance, and there was one day called "blasphemy day" where they wrote on the sidewalks in chalk different things that mock Christianity. A lot of it was hateful. Another time, I peaked into their facebook page, and they were talking about going to the national day of prayer and showing up in Wizard costumes and were going to hold up stupid signs saying things like "National Day Of Spell casting" and the leader suggested that they have a "prayer competition." Yeah, how "open minded" and "tolerant" right?

Most of the kids in that club are some of the most hateful people I have come across. They claim Christians to be judgmental, when they are doing the same thing-judging Christians.
Yup. You'll see that here, too.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post

I haven't met a Christian yet who actually practices these points of their Christianity. Just saying...

Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
I would not form my default impression of any random theist based on some bug eyed fundamentalist snake handlers and I would not form my default impression of any random atheist based upon the behavior of drunken college students. And I don't just mean drunk on alcohol, but on hormones and youthful hubris.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
I've seen hateful people of all faiths sadly even Pagans or so called Pagans. Atheist tend to get worked up because they are tired of having Christianity shoved in their faces every where they go. I get this I don't understand why Christians can't worship privately like the rest of us. It truly makes me wonder if they go around looking for a fight, so later they can play the martyr & complain about how they are being repressed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality