Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM

522 posts, read 622,785 times

Advertisements

Iran is not really typical of Islam. In some directions Iranian Islam is maybe more tolerant than that of Gulf-Arab Islam. In Iran there are reserved seats in the Parliament/Majlis for Christians and Jews. You wouldn't exactly see the Saudis do that. (Although Bahrain has or had a Jewish member of Parliament) Shiite Islam, which is Iran's, is usually not as hostile to images so Iran has more in the way of film and visual arts. On the other hand Iran is more revolutionary, I don't mean that as a compliment and I lean anti-revolutionary/conservative, so supports terrorism and is trying to obtain nukes. Iran's laws are highly restrictive in many ways and sexist.

But if Islam isn't Iran it's not also the Gulf States either. Malaysia, despite its own repressions, mostly/totally has modernized without the benefit of oil. Indonesia has democratized a fair amount. And though there are tensions in both the non-Muslim minority is probably living better than non-Muslims in Iran or Bahrain do. (Exempting maybe Aceh which is a bit nutty Islamist) Senegal has corruption issues, but is fairly democratic and I believe the Catholic schools are accepted. Albania is, by most measures, freer/healthier now than when it was an officially "atheist state."

Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
But it's such a wonderful, peaceful religion!
And many who practice Islam ARE wonderful, peaceful people.

Islam is no different than any other religion in that it has extremists. Personally, I look at the person. Not at their religion. Had I decided that all Muslims are radical extremists and were to be avoided I'd have missed out on knowing some pretty special people.

(I'd hate for them to judge me if they used extremist Christians as their example of what Christians are like. It goes both ways.)

Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Iran and Russia with Syria are now total enemies of the Syrian people , as these have murdered thousands , and most of the Syrian people now have nothing to do with these three groups of nations ...... Even in the Iranian nation have executed 360 people last year only second to China who executed 1000 people , where most other countries with the capital punishment of execution are all well under 80 people each last year .....

Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Prior to 1979 Iran was a secular, modern, thriving country. Then the revolution happened and Islamic nuts took over. The marriage age of women was decreased from 16 to 9 (legalized pedophilia) and the installation of Sharia Law legalized the execution of homosexuals and women accused of adultery (often by public stoning). Music and alcohol was illegalized and the government executed tens of thousands of civilians in the coming years.
Prior to 1979 Iran was a brutal Moderator cut: Inappropriate dictatorship, propped up by the U.S. and the CIA.... why do you think they had a revolution and hate our azz in the first place?!! And no one, lib-rul or conservative is claiming the replacement is any better. Except that there are hundreds of other dicatatorships and oppressive regimes all around the world, many even worse... so what's this have to do with ''proving'' anything (except that you hate muslims... and I think we got that part)?!!

BTW, maybe if hate-mongers in the west quit polarizing our relations with Iran and the rest of the M.E., the muslim moderates (you know, all those folks from pre-1979) might be able to have more influence, instead of always being forced into the ''either us or them'' choice we currently leave them.

Otherwise, the ''muslim-haters'' are really no different than the ''great Satan-haters''...

Last edited by june 7th; 01-21-2013 at 05:35 AM..

Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
The Catholic Church is responsible for building Western Civilization as we know it. The university system, hospitals, agriculture, modern economic theory, science, Western morality, and international law all have their roots in the Catholic Church.
Universities, medical science, agriculture, science in general predates Christianity much less the Catholic Church by centuries. About the only thing that Catholicism can take credit for is Western morality and the revolt from its oppressiveness.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Yet another example. Christians don't do this kind of thing.

Egyptian court sentences Christian family to 15 years for converting from Islam | Fox News

Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Many of the posts in this thread would be more appropriate in the Politics forum, as they do not address anything of a religious nature. Half of the posts have had to be deleted due to being off topic.

Thread is therefore closed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality