Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times

Advertisements

Since answering pensivesedition's posts might be off-topic in the topic Why does God want us to worship Him? I've decided to answer here.

Originally Posted by pensivesedition
Quote:
Christian nations did what most civilizations have done. Slavery was common to most human civilizations even before christianity.
Are you saying that we should be glad that there was slavery so we could get rid of it? I thought Christians were raised better than this.
Could it be that the medieval Christians viewed themselves as slaves of God, because they need God’s permission, consent or blessing for every action they (want to) undertake? I mean if angels are already God’s servants (or slaves since they apparently have no freedom) why cant humanity have their own slaves? Aren’t we created in God’s image? I mean as above so below, right?
I just find it suspicious that it took Christianity 20 centuries to come up with the notion that every human being should have basic rights.
Or maybe Christianity had nothing at all to do with it? Maybe it was more the age of enlightenment and emancipation.

Quote:
Nietzce said much more than that and his philosophy was much more complex than you are attepmting here to portray.
I never said that Nietzsche’s philosophy is simple nor was I attempting to portray it is simple. I Only posted what I find relevant and even included a link so you can inform yourself about it.
Is it a habit for Christians to blame others for their wrong interpretations?

Quote:
No, that is not all that he meant, and he was not worried about nihilism at all, and in any case, why would he? Nihilism was irrelevant to him in.
Nihilism was relevant to Nietzsche, but because to a Christian only God can be relevant, you’ll probably never understand this.
Nietzsche had faith in humanity that we could overcome nihilism, but since Christianity believes that man is inherently flawed and can only be made whole through God's grace Nietzsche must be wrong.
It is like saying that if someone has fallen and broke an arm, she only should pray to God and not see a physician because the bible has taught us that only God can heal man.
(Btw isn't this one of the reasons why some Christians refuse medical help, because they believe their ilness is God's will?)

As a Christian you could never accept that nihilism is relevant to Nietzsche because if Nietzsche is proven right, it would prove that man does not need a Christian god. Just like many aboriginal religions and philosophies existed with their own moral code and without any sign of a Christian God had proven this before they were wiped out by Christianity.
And these societies where not conquered by the grace of God, they were beaten by superior firepower ( in other words science and not religion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I just find it suspicious that it took Christianity 20 centuries to come up with the notion that every human being should have basic rights.
Actually, "Christianity" knew this from the very beginning. This was Jesus' message. People who followed Jesus' teachings were called "Christians" (little Christ's) because of their actions. People who call themselves Christians, yet do not follow Christ, are doing just that... they are "calling THEMSELVES Christians. True proof of Christianity is when others call you a follower of Christ.

Quote:
Or maybe Christianity had nothing at all to do with it?
Right.

Now back to the topic!! No, IMO God, the Creator, has instilled in everyone a moral code, for the benefit and order of society. People do not always follow this moral code, "Christians" and non-Christians alike.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by cg81
Quote:
Actually, "Christianity" knew this from the very beginning. This was Jesus' message. People who followed Jesus' teachings were called "Christians" (little Christ's) because of their actions. People who call themselves Christians, yet do not follow Christ, are doing just that... they are "calling THEMSELVES Christians. True proof of Christianity is when others call you a follower of Christ.
And yet keeping slaves has been normal for Christians for many centuries. They even kept Christian slaves.
I guess knowing does not lead to acting on your knowledge?

Quote:
No, IMO God, the Creator, has instilled in everyone a moral code, for the benefit and order of society.
If this is the case why weren't Christians from the beginning not like their modern versions now? In the entire existence of America no woman or non-white American has ever been president.
Shouldn't it be right from the beginning that men and women are equally important and that skin colour is irrelevant?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:53 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,567 times
Can someone site for me the biblical passages in which jesus says slavery is wrong, immoral or unjust?

To my knowledge, the old and new testaments have no admonishments against slavery.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
I believe if you own moral codes you are a Christain, espcecially if you live by example.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by satanoid
Quote:
Can someone site for me the biblical passages in which jesus says slavery is wrong, immoral or unjust?
Well, I don't want to be someone's slave so it would only be logical to not have slaves either. And Jesus taught us to love others the way we would like to be loved.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by cremebrulee
Quote:
I believe if you own moral codes you are a Christain, espcecially if you live by example.
But is a non-Christian who follows Ghandi as his example then also a Christian?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Remember in those days that if you were a slave, you were fed and taken care of. If you weren't in slavery, and you didn't have a way to earn a living, you would probably starve to death. Options were limited.

Which would be worse?

And NO! you don't need to be a Christian to have a moral code.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 AM

I personally prefer death over longlife imprisonment.
Being locked up in prison with only 1 hour on the outside is my worst nightmare.
Guantanamo Bay is my worst nightmare; no rights, no freedom and no dignity.
I imagine that being a slave is even worse than being locked up in Guantanamo bay.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:11 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
And yet keeping slaves has been normal for Christians for many centuries. They even kept Christian slaves.
"Christians" or Christians? You completely missed the point. "Christian" in name, or Christian in deed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality