Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 PM

57 posts, read 143,578 times

Advertisements

We are a non-denominational Christian family who has recently moved to SLC, UT...so we're learning a lot about the Mormon faith. We've made wonderful LDS friends in our neighborhood and spend a lot of time hanging out with them. They are faithful Mormons but they aren't extremist, which, in my own opinion means they aren't constantly trying to get us to convert (I believe they accept us for who we are along with the fact we don't have any intention to switch religions), they can have kind of raunchy (but funny) conversations and just aren't super uptight (am I going to be blasted for saying Mormons can be uptight??). They've made comments in the past that my husband and I should feel free to "add anything we want" to our drinks when we've been outside hanging out with them. When we had some neighbors over for dinner recently, I enjoyed a class of wine in their company without issue.

So, I think they are comfortable with others drinking - they just don't indulge with us, which is totally fine.

In a week or so we're having a ladies (all Mormon ladies except me) night out that will include dinner and movie. Would it be inappropriate for me to order a glass of wine when I'm out with them in public? I'd hate for someone from their ward to see us all and have a problem with them hanging out with somebody who is drinking. Am I being ridiculous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:01 PM

28,104 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBeth07 View Post
We are a non-denominational Christian family who has recently moved to SLC, UT...so we're learning a lot about the Mormon faith. We've made wonderful LDS friends in our neighborhood and spend a lot of time hanging out with them. They are faithful Mormons but they aren't extremist, which, in my own opinion means they aren't constantly trying to get us to convert (I believe they accept us for who we are along with the fact we don't have any intention to switch religions), they can have kind of raunchy (but funny) conversations and just aren't super uptight (am I going to be blasted for saying Mormons can be uptight??). They've made comments in the past that my husband and I should feel free to "add anything we want" to our drinks when we've been outside hanging out with them. When we had some neighbors over for dinner recently, I enjoyed a class of wine in their company without issue.

So, I think they are comfortable with others drinking - they just don't indulge with us, which is totally fine.

In a week or so we're having a ladies (all Mormon ladies except me) night out that will include dinner and movie. Would it be inappropriate for me to order a glass of wine when I'm out with them in public? I'd hate for someone from their ward to see us all and have a problem with them hanging out with somebody who is drinking. Am I being ridiculous?
You are not being ridiculous; you're just being cautious, and that's good. Just based on what you've said, it sounds to me as if you'd be fine ordering a glass of wine. Your LDS friends remind me of myself, and it certainly wouldn't bother me at all for you to do that. (I'd probably be envious, though, since I really do like wine!) As far as people from their ward being judgmental, who cares? The liklihood that you'll even see somebody is kind of remote, and anybody who would judge your LDS friends for being open-minded about what you drink isn't worth worrying about. Have fun, and have one for me.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,099 times
Quote:
It's nice that you're so concientious of others whom you'll be spending time with, but unless one glass of wine has deliterious effects on you, I wouldn't worry about it.

You don't have to be Mormon to know how annoying drunk friends can be, so as long as you're not drinking to excess and as long as wine doesn't make you, well ... weird, you should raise your glass and have at it.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 PM

63,891 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Default Drinking in front of LDS friends

I confess to a lack of seriousness about such silly rules, but I agree with the advice given so far. If anyone from their ward has a problem just tell them Jesus changed your water into wine!

Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,837,946 times
I recommend you make some Jack Mormon friends so they can drink with you.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 AM

57 posts, read 143,578 times
Thanks. I didn't *think* it would be a problem, but I certainly didn't want to make anybody uncomfortable.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Thanks. I didn't *think* it would be a problem, but I certainly didn't want to make anybody uncomfortable.
It's speaks well of you that you're so considerate of others.

Katzpur is a great person to ask when these things come up. She's knowledgeable about her faith, always helpful and has a TON of common sense.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,212,671 times
As an Evangelical I personally do not drink. I'd rather not "cause one to stumble" than to drink a glass of wine or a beer. Like it or not, people do see your actions, and they come to a conclusion about you, or about what you do based on it. I am not going to say that drinking is evil--I don't believe that. But I would suggest caution in doing so.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
My best suggestion: ask your friend. They have told you that they don't mind watching you drink. They will know if is bothers other people in the party.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,559,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As an Evangelical I personally do not drink. I'd rather not "cause one to stumble" than to drink a glass of wine or a beer. Like it or not, people do see your actions, and they come to a conclusion about you, or about what you do based on it. I am not going to say that drinking is evil--I don't believe that. But I would suggest caution in doing so.
Lighten up. Jesus drank. Ever been to a genuine Passover Seder? Four, yes four cups of wine. And we're not talking this "new wine" stuff. Nope. 13% stuff. As a kid I remember stumbling out of temple after Seder. Even tho my parents were atheists they liked the Jewish traditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality