Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 AM

661 posts, read 1,184,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Throughout scripture we see that all 3 persons of the Godhead have attributes that only persons have. The each have a will, they can each communicate, feel, etc. They are all 3 presented as God. Yet....we know there is only 1 God.

So to answer your question....it IS all over scripture.
Nowhere in Scripture does it state that the Holy Spirit IS God. Jesus said that the disciples were 'one' like he and his father were 'one'.....in unity of thought and purpose. The Holy Spirit is not even mentioned in this scenario.

As I said, if the Trinity was so so obvious there would not be any argument among Christians. There would have been no need for the Nicean Creed and no need for the Athanasian creed. Even back there there was such a huge dispute about this doctrine.

So to turn round and denounce those who dont believe in your dogma as false Christians so easily is very arrogant. After all, who decided back then that the only true Christians were those who accepted the Trinity doctrine? Men. Imperfect, politically, control driven men. Yes they were Bishops, but so were those who opposed them, who were against the Trinity doctrine. God guided their decision as much as he guided the installing of the Borgias as popes.

Then there is the obvious older pagan triune Gods who ruled the ancient world which seems too much of a coincidence to not have had an influence on Christianity back then.

The Scriptures state unequivically that belief and acceptance of Jesus is vital to salvation. No argument there, but there is no such statement about the Trinity, even the term Trinity is mentioned nowhere in Scripture, and it is not discussed at all. Show me from Scripture where belief and acceptance of the Trinity is mandatory for salvation and I will revise my opinion of the arrogance of Trinitarians who dismiss the nonbelievers as non Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Nowhere in Scripture does it state that the Holy Spirit IS God. Jesus said that the disciples were 'one' like he and his father were 'one'.....in unity of thought and purpose. The Holy Spirit is not even mentioned in this scenario.
Acts 5:3-4 He's called God.

3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?
4 “While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.

Now that we've established that...do you want to tackle the question of Jesus's divinity? He said himself that he was the Alpha and Omega...the first and Last. Would you like the reference?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
"Peter said," not God said.

Also, can you be 100% sure that the bible, with all it's versions, in English, is the positive final proof of anthing? I shouldn't have said that....you are probably 100% sure, but others aren't. And the others may have God's blessings too. Nobody knows for sure.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is shared by many Christians. Heaven is going to be lonely place as many of those who profess a belief in the present doctrines such as the Trinity, may not make it. Their hearts are as hard as their brains.

I think that it is the Heart that is judged. Not the beliefs, whatever they may be.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
"Peter said," not God said.

Also, can you be 100% sure that the bible, with all it's versions, in English, is the positive final proof of anthing? I shouldn't have said that....you are probably 100% sure, but others aren't. And the others may have God's blessings too. Nobody knows for sure.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is shared by many Christians. Heaven is going to be lonely place as many of those who profess a belief in the present doctrines such as the Trinity, may not make it. Their hearts are as hard as their brains.

I think that it is the Heart that is judged. Not the beliefs, whatever they may be.
lol...nice. I provide a verse...you deny it. Whatever. You and the other "Christians" worshiping a god of your own creation will be quite surprised on the day of judgment.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
lol...nice. I provide a verse...you deny it. Whatever. You and the other "Christians" worshiping a god of your own creation will be quite surprised on the day of judgment.
I'm not quite sure what allows you to decide who is Christian and who isn't. Neither am I sure why you are deciding and condemning. Really? Based on posts on an internet board about the Trinity you know if someone is a Christian and where their soul will be after death?

(I'd ask, "Who died and made you God?" but since I believe God is very much alive it's not quite apropos.)

Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not quite sure what allows you to decide who is Christian and who isn't.
I'm not quite sure what allows you to say that I can't. Do you know what Christianity is? Do you know the basics of the faith?
Quote:

Neither am I sure why you are deciding and condemning. Really? Based on posts on an internet board about the Trinity you know if someone is a Christian and where their soul will be after death?
If they deny some fundamental aspects of it, then it's not complicated.
Quote:
(I'd ask, "Who died and made you God?" but since I believe God is very much alive it's not quite apropos.)
And I'd ask "Who died and made you God?" You seem to be pretty convinced that you have it figured out and that I'm wrong.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:44 PM

698 posts, read 648,066 times
Quote:
Acts 5:3-4 He's called God.

3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?
4 “While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

Now that we've established that...do you want to tackle the question of Jesus's divinity? He said himself that he was the Alpha and Omega...the first and Last. Would you like the reference?
This is just a "TRINITARIAN" reading of Acts 5:3-4. There are other completely acceptable ways to handle Acts 5:3-4. Non-Trinitarians themselves have different interpretations of the "biblical" text.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Actually, I think a lot of people sincerely want to serve God, but just in an advisory capacity. Vizio seems to fit into this group.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
You seem to be pretty convinced that you have it figured out and that I'm wrong.
What I've figured out is that you believe you are absolutely 100% correct in all your beliefs and anyone who doesn't share them is wrong. And thus subject to being judged and corrected, by you, as you see fit.

Personally, I put myself in the "fallible, very imperfect human" category, and let God be God.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-23-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
.....said the Inquisitor in a pleasant voice as he used the Spanish Tickler on the heretic.

The Spanish Tickler
Do you have anything productive to add to the conversation or are you just trolling? Not that I'm accusing you of trolling.....because I am genuinely curious if you have anything productive to add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality