Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Go on?

The Tao is a feeling, a sound, an energy, a vibration...it has no end
and has always been here.
If you were on the Moon?
The Tao would be there.
If you were in the depths of the ocean?
The Tao would be there.
It is the space between the nucleus and the electrons....
it flows through the unimaginable.

Yes, the Tao experiences us.
Thanks for humoring me, I appreciate! I'm a tad goofy when it comes to the Tao however harmless!

edit: mostly harmless (me thinks). How would I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Tao experiences us" Yes
Key West sunsets? Or something else entirely? Do tell! (See? I am goofy but mostly harmless)

Old 10-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Another 'tried & true' experiment of sorts: The Moon is very gorgeous this evening from where I sit - please go & check it out for yourself. See the Moon & not the finger pointing towards.

Please report back when you get a chance. Many thanks, much respect. G'night!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Another 'tried & true' experiment of sorts: The Moon is very gorgeous this evening from where I sit - please go & check it out for yourself. See the Moon & not the finger pointing towards.

Please report back when you get a chance. Many thanks, much respect. G'night!
I'll probably go to a drumming in the Co Rockies tomorrow night...
think I'll where a down jacket!!
So I will really see it then!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'll probably go to a drumming in the Co Rockies tomorrow night...
think I'll where a down jacket!!
So I will really see it then!

Very nice little writings on the Tao. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:37 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour_trail View Post
taoism is based from the i-ching, the chinese cosmological view, which utilizes the four elements, Heaven, Water, Earth, Fire, to reach balance, in various aspects of life

there are a few systems of martial arts based off of the i-ching,
the tai chi style (forgive the theatrics, but still relatively accurate)

Baddest Kung Fu Movie Intros - Born Invincible - YouTube

hsing i chaun, and baquazhnag

snake style, is an offshoot of hsing i chaun

The best Snake style fight ever! - YouTube

notice how the snake is called the "snake spirit"

5 Deadly Venoms - I had 5 pupils - YouTube

hope this helps slightly
Eight Tri Grams.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
My translation from years gone by:

The way than can be named
is not the constant way

Have forgotten most of the other stuff I memorized way back when. However I do remember the thing about being as water. Remember that water is the most yielding of substances. It always takes the shape of its container. It always seeks the lowest place. Yet water will eventually wear away the hardest stone.

Thanks for the journey down memory lane.
That is what Yip Man told Bruce Li to do, become as water...

Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
Trying to interpret the meaning of Tao/Dao becomes like the exercise of the blind men describing the parts of the elephant.... everyone has an opinion based on their life's programming that is stored in their minds. Except an elephant is something that is identifiable in nature (if you are not blind), but in this case we are talking about an abstract concept in which only metaphors are useful. I think the Dao was meant to be like that because this metaphorical 'path' of life varies for each one of us. No two paths are exactly the same.

To use a bad analogy... the hardware and operating software in our computers may be pretty much the same, but the applications we've put on them vary all over the place. And so our experiences are like those apps. They are different in each of us.

The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

Our paths (life's experiences) are all different in an existence that is in a constant flux.... neither perfect nor imperfect.

That's kind of where I am with this right now.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Moon: I had to go into the street, 5 am, to get away from my huge trees to see the eclipse.. but,
all I could see was a dark gray circle up there!
TV had reddish shots.
I tried .

Old 10-08-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Trying to interpret the meaning of Tao/Dao becomes like the exercise of the blind men describing the parts of the elephant.... everyone has an opinion based on their life's programming that is stored in their minds. Except an elephant is something that is identifiable in nature (if you are not blind), but in this case we are talking about an abstract concept in which only metaphors are useful. I think the Dao was meant to be like that because this metaphorical 'path' of life varies for each one of us. No two paths are exactly the same.

To use a bad analogy... the hardware and operating software in our computers may be pretty much the same, but the applications we've put on them vary all over the place. And so our experiences are like those apps. They are different in each of us.

The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

Our paths (life's experiences) are all different in an existence that is in a constant flux.... neither perfect nor imperfect.

That's kind of where I am with this right now.
I like these words to describe also, & the hardware/software analogy is a good one.

The 'constant flux' also holds meaning for me, after all, everything, including us, changes constantly as we experience time. All we have is now ... & now ... & now ... & so on. & we mostly only have words to describe - that's not altogether true, we can paint pictures with words & share experiences & so on.

Even so, sometimes there seems to be a certain OCD quality to experience, like a 'control freak' facet? People sometimes use an inaccurate or inelegant word for another framework, ideology or system of thought. Or they may develop rituals or even magical thinking to complete or justify the various frameworks. All these different frames & not a one capturing the whole or using some sort of universal language to even describe (perhaps the same phenomenon). There are, after all, so many different ways of seeing. Sometimes people want to be certain or sure, sometimes this can be 'seen' as a form of intolerance of ambiguity? & it's easier to never have to even think about these 'shades of grey.' Granted, we're all different even if coming from the 'same cloth.' Certain frameworks may be comforting especially to a certain type of mind. & who doesn’t want to control at least one tiny aspect of their existence? Sadly, most times even that is an illusion. A comforting illusion but an illusion all the same. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy …” or, more succinctly, “Hell is other people.”

Is it meaningful to consider some kind of unified field of experience? I don't really think so. Nice try but no dice, imho. The more you notice the structure or organization within the framework, the more you realize everything outside the framework is, perhaps, more like chaos (or the Tao).

Fr’instance I enjoy taking photographs with a camera (& lately by using my cell phone too). In order to accomplish what I set out to do, I frame the picture. Looking through the lens & immediately making several decisions. Horizontal or vertical? Up close or from a distance? What do I want to include in the frame? Speed of the action I want to capture? Just a few things I consider before … I click the shutter, freeze that moment in time, never able to return except maybe through memory or imagination.

Also acknowledging there are so many more things one could say about this simple task. Right from the start tho, there are certain things I take for granted (an ideology of sorts?). Big one is, try as I may, I can’t duplicate what I see mainly because there are (many) things that exist outside the frame. Easily seen when I look away from the lens (or frame). Can’t capture the (many) things I see beyond the frame though. Admittedly accepting this limitation, I move on & take the picture.

Similarly with other types of frameworks. It becomes necessary to accept there are things not captured within your carefully controlled frame or vision. In order to play, you accept the limits. Some of the nicest visions I’ve ever had or seen, I’m unable to duplicate & remembrance exists within my mind & maybe nowhere else. Who can understand these things? Not me that’s for sure.

I enjoy attempting to understand & share experience through various means. I enjoy taking photographs. I also find joy in stepping back into the world of a million frames & appreciating the freedom of uncertainty. Beauty is in both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality