Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok for the record I'm the one who thinks people are kind, generous and charitable just because they are...with or with out a belief in a higher power.

BUT where on earth did you get Mother Teresa (blessed be her soul) was an atheist? That is nonsense, she was a nun.
You know, this is something that just came up recently in the news somewhere. It was the first I had heard of it, and I never read the attached article, but it's like the fourth time in 2-3 days I've heard this. I suppose I'll have to do some reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 02:20 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,261 times
Did I read the OP correctly? This is a poll? LOL!

Show me a study that correlates actions with belief, and then I'll take it seriously.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
IMO Religious publications should stay away from broadcasting their hatred for everyone who is not in their clique. Seems to me that they should be into showing the world the love of God reflected in them..Which christian group published the lies about sweet Mother Teresa.? I have a strong feeling it wasn't the Athiests or Catholice But of course I am wrong a lot..Each day I am coming closer and closer to making a decision to just stop looking for a congregation to worship with that doesn't condemn, make fun of, or hate other religions..Why go back to something that took so many years to get away from..

Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Atheists do good things because they want to.

Non-atheists often do good things because they are afraid that if they don't, they will go to hell. The fear of eternal punishment is a potent factor.
Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:58 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I belong to a rather old fraternity, which contends that any man who does not call upon a singular deity is not a trustworthy man.

We only admit men who are:

Men indeed;
Freeborn and of lawful age;
a stated belief in a singular deity;
of good report and well recommended.

Their thought is that if you do not think that one day you will be made to stand before a creator for judgement; then what motive do you have toward honesty?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:49 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Their thought is that if you do not think that one day you will be made to stand before a creator for judgement; then what motive do you have toward honesty?

People are honest because they want others to trust them, to know that their word is as good as gold. And in return, they hope that because they are honest, others will be honest in return.

It doesn't have anything to do with judgement day.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,869 times
Quote:
I belong to a rather old fraternity, which contends that any man who does not call upon a singular deity is not a trustworthy man.

We only admit men who are:

Men indeed;
Freeborn and of lawful age;
a stated belief in a singular deity;
of good report and well recommended.

Are you a Free Mason? That is what it sounded like from your description.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
People are honest because they want others to trust them, to know that their word is as good as gold. And in return, they hope that because they are honest, others will be honest in return.

It doesn't have anything to do with judgement day.
Okay.

I simply stated that this fraternity holds to the idea that when a group of men all hold beliefs that include the idea that we will each one day face a Judgement; then we can begin to trust each man's vows.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish mom View Post
Are you a Free Mason? That is what it sounded like from your description.
Yes.

Like I said a relatively old fraternity.

Perhaps with 'out-dated' ideas, though we still manage to function within those ideas.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
Quote:

I really dislike this sort of mentality, and quite honestly it scares me. Why? Because it seems that when one says something of this nature that the only thing keeping them from doing bad things is their belief in a deity. That is the logic that seems to rub off. Are you saying that if you did not believe in a deity you would not be a good person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality