Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Ah, and the fight for "Sameness" continues...
I will feel better when you are like ME.

Sure, it feels great when someone is like you...but my goodness, when
I didn't care for a restaurant someone recommended I thought they turned into a 6 yr old!
This 39 yr old turned into this emotionally immature person and went off in a huff.
(I now always say something positive about recommendations in case I get the same reaction!!)

We are different, it is just a fact.
Leave people alone!! Love 'em, be kind.

Oh, look at the time, enough preaching for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,788 times
I don't want to burn in Hell. Can't I be crisp and delicious?
But seriously I would tell these guys to knock it off. You may have been a little open to begin with.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
Invite both of them to meet you at the same time, and then say that you would be interested in hearing the two of them discuss this issue, and once a clear winner has emerged you feel you would be in a better position to make a decision.

You do not talk, they talk to each other. Guaranteed, you will never have to make any other decision than the one you already have.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
Life's too short to spend too much time on things like this.

My defining moment realizing this came too late. I was caring for my dying father in the hospital, and a woman in the cafeteria befriended me. She spent so much time trying to convert me (and even found out the room he was in, and visited him also); I did not know how to say no effectively and didn't want to be "rude", as I'd been taught all of my life not to be. It took time away from my last weeks with him.

That sealed the deal for me. I don't waste time with it now. I have my own beliefs, and am more than happy to just say "no" if I'm not interested. Please take my advice: life's too short. Because for every two people out there trying to convert you, there are a million more. Convert to whatever you'd like, just don't waste time on someone else's agenda.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Life's too short to spend too much time on things like this.

My defining moment realizing this came too late. I was caring for my dying father in the hospital, and a woman in the cafeteria befriended me. She spent so much time trying to convert me (and even found out the room he was in, and visited him also); I did not know how to say no effectively and didn't want to be "rude", as I'd been taught all of my life not to be. It took time away from my last weeks with him.

That sealed the deal for me. I don't waste time with it now. I have my own beliefs, and am more than happy to just say "no" if I'm not interested. Please take my advice: life's too short. Because for every two people out there trying to convert you, there are a million more. Convert to whatever you'd like, just don't waste time on someone else's agenda.
Whoa, EXCELLENT!
Now, let's see if this system will let me give you another kudo....

And so sorry to hear about what happened.
:/

Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
Aw, thank you.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,952 times
"Like I asked before, HOW do you convert to something that you do not believe? HOW can you MAKE your mind believe something that you do not now believe?

THINK! How is that possible?"

It's easier than all that. It's not about forcing anything, that would be disingenuous. 1 Cor 12:3 says no one can say something as simple as "Jesus is Lord" except by the spirit. Most Christians consider that a very basic principle...that Jesus is the Savior. To Christians that's simple, basic, fundamental. And even THAT can't be professed except by the spirit of God?! So how would the even bigger things manifest themselves except by the spirit? These things must be sought through prayer. It happens line upon line and precept upon precept, of its own volition, not because of something forced or meticulously calculated. I don't know how you pray but when I pray I like to develop my own opinions and just say in prayer "I've made such-and-such decision, please corroborate that it is in my best interest to pursue this" and then I'll either feel nothing (that's a "no") or I'll feel a deep peace and warmth and calm in an unmistakable way...in a way that I just know comes from God. That's encouragement, and that's a "yes" from the Lord or a "go ahead" from the Lord. Then one prayer at a time you're moved closer and closer to the truth and to the knowledge of the things of the spirit. Everything is a natural progression, not a calculated maneuver. After the spirit transforms, then the mind follows.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,062 times
You need to ask yourself why you would want to be friends with anyone who believes you will go to hell simply for not having faith in their twisted version of religion. I used the word twisted for a reason; a true religious person would not go out of their way to make you feel uncomfortable. I also can't fathom how anyone truly religious would believe that god would be evil enough to send people to hell for not believing in the "right" religion. Such a belief is beyond irrational; it's cruel. Get away from these people ASAP and find new friends who won't try to brainwash you, and who will accept you for who you are.

Last edited by Citybagelpoom; 05-19-2013 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I think this thread boils down once again to the very basic: You can't change other people. You can only change the way you choose to react to them.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:04 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,006 times
This is going to sound crazy, but I wouldn't mind an argument with a religious person trying to convert me. It's been at least 5 years since I had a good one (not on the internet), and I wouldn't mind testing my (hopefully civil) argument skills about this subject.

(I may regret saying this.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality