Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
In "my day" I remember wearing a suit and tie every time I went to Church. Now when I go people wear tired torn tee shirts and faded jeans. Maybe this is not the case all over the country. Maybe "down south" people still have some self respect and wear their Sunday best in Church.

What do you think about casual clothes vs dressing up for Church? How is it at your place of worship?
its a mix i need to start doing it.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post

I wouldn't want birthday suits in church, now that would keep me home if it were required!

Granted it might not always be a pretty sight but I would have thought god would hardly be shocked ! Nothing he hasn't seen .... ( if you believe in him anyway) . I am just wondering whether church goers are more concerned about their own sense of outrage or true Christianity ?
Jesus would probably not pass muster in faded old and darned woollen long robes and sandals either...

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Jesus would probably not pass muster in faded old and darned woollen long robes and sandals either...
And that is what the Christians should be thinking. Would they even be willing to accept Him if He came walking through the doors? Casual clothes are fine for me, but I dress up if I'm a part of the worship team. I just think it is more professional.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
In my opinion you needn't feel that you have to dress up to impress the church nor God..I do think that you should have common courtesy to those seated around you to be well bathed and have fresh clothing on

Old 11-06-2007, 09:55 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Somehow I seriously doubt that god would ever disapprove if June showed up wearing jeans.

Think about it.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 AM

132 posts, read 244,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Not wrong, Moose.
I reckon if Yeshua sat beside 'em on a bus, MOST Christians would very promptly MOVE.
Without being indelicate, personal hygeine and the means of ensuring same were not well-developed. Matted hair, dirty dusty garb, body odour, bad breath, bushy beard, a couple of mates with swords - and that Middle Eastern appearance - they'd probably scream "terrorist".

Old 11-06-2007, 10:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
Not wrong, Moose.
I reckon if Yeshua sat beside 'em on a bus, MOST Christians would very promptly MOVE.
Without being indelicate, personal hygeine and the means of ensuring same were not well-developed. Matted hair, dirty dusty garb, body odour, bad breath, bushy beard, a couple of mates with swords - and that Middle Eastern appearance - they'd probably scream "terrorist".
Yep, I think you might be right !

Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
IMO clothing is not the point... the issue at hand is "respect", which seems to be becoming an endangered species!

So it doesn't matter what you wear, it's what's in the heart that counts.
But... what's in the heart will show up in how we conduct ourselves.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Missouri Synod Lutherans tend to dress up more than their more liberal brethren in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). However, things have surely loosened up over the years. As a small child, dresses for women were "de rigeur" (sp?), and men at least wore white shirts, if not at least a sport coat in addition. Now, at my parents church, people dress in what is generally considered "business casual" and the younger ones dress more casually than that. Pants for women are quite acceptable.

I agree that clothing is not imortant, per se, but respect for self and others is. I read a comment once by an older Baptist woman, "shouldn't we dress up to be in God's house?"

Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Somehow I seriously doubt that god would ever disapprove if June showed up wearing jeans.

Think about it.
I understand what you are saying here, but it made me laugh, for another reason! When I attended church, (Southern Baptist), I usually wore a skirt and blouse on Sunday mornings, but I know not everyone liked it, simply because I generally wore a denim skirt, western-style blouse, cowboy boots, and either Western or Indian jewlery. It's just what I liked, but it certainly didn't fit it with what most of the ladies wore. And, on Sunday nights, and Wednesday nights, I always wore jeans, and boots or tennis shoes. If I was attending church now, I still would do the same thing. I figure as long as what I'm wearing is neat and clean, and not revealing, then whatever anyone else thinks doesn't mean a hill of beans to me! I wore what I wanted then, and I would do the same now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality