Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 AM

149 posts, read 386,822 times

Advertisements

By major, I mean G8, or Group of 8, an international forum of the world's most important economic countries, which includes: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the UK, and the US.

Why is America, arguably, the richest (measured in GDP and per-capita), most globally significant, and prominent country in the world so consumed with god?

Compared to other similarly developed nations (the UK, Japan, Norway) the US continues to lag behind in it's acceptance of scientific reason, particularly in regards to evolution, sexual preference, and genetics.

Compared to these other countries, the US also is an outcast in that the religious affiliation and belief in god of government candidates come into to question, and plays a huge role in whether or not that person may become elected.

A number of you keep talking about this so-called "moral decline", and I find that so incredibly ironic because unless the US stops being blindsighted religious myths, it's about to head down a decline - an economic decline that it will never recover from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 04:15 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Well, I think that because we are a nation that was founded with freedom of religion we have never exercised the option to persecute people of faith. Major countries in Europe, Asia, and elsewhere have at many times in their past exercised persecutory religious fervor.

England, probably a country that most similarly represents America in Europe, actually has a "State Church." Remember also, that it was the Pilgrims fleeing religious persecution that came here, and they came from England.

Spain did it in the Inquisition and for political or religious reasons (I'm still not sure which) is still having problems with the Basques.

Japan didn't really persecute the religious, but they did make demi-gods out of their emperors up until the end of World War II.

Hitler most certainly persecuted people, as did Stalin.

One note on Stalin... although Stalin was most definitely an Atheist, at the time of his regime takeover all of the previous tsars were also seen as heads of the church, and were looked at as perhaps a little higher than human but not quite a god status. As sick and maniacal a man as Stalin was, he would have been even crazier not to exploit that and he did.

I think these are the things that change the perspective of religion in countries. Although it doesn't eliminate the belief in god in many of these countries, it makes people realize that perhaps chastising one another, promoting religion as governmental substance, and persecuting people over their religious beliefs just isn't conducive to a working society. So, a lot of these countries just don't let it affect how they rely on things.

Contrary to that, America, has always been a nation with a large Christian population. Keep in mind, that our relative geographic isolation (not so much now with the world of travel) for about one hundred and fifty years allowed for the already Christian majority in the country to promote their beliefs even further. It was never questioned and never spoken about. It was just an acceptable practice. Meanwhile, philosophers such as Kant, Voltaire, Bacon, and others were hitting the forefront of Europe with "radical" ideas. Often enough, these philosophers were heard about in the States but the idea was rabid that these were "evil" and "heretical" men. So, to me, it seems that although our geographic isolation has provided us a country wrought with resources, and wealth, it has also hindered our growth as a philosophically minded community and the remnants of that we witness even today.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:27 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,531 times
what about china...chinas economy is thriving and actually is expected to surpass that of americas in the near future..lol
but anyways i don't think religion is the problem in the us...i think its just plain stupidity..and lack of understanding in general...and a mixture of arrogance and ignorance

Old 11-12-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
what about china...chinas economy is thriving and actually is expected to surpass that of americas in the near future..lol
but anyways i don't think religion is the problem in the us...i think its just plain stupidity..and lack of understanding in general...and a mixture of arrogance and ignorance

China... Mao??

You are correct though, I do see a lot of arrogance and ignorance, whether purposeful or unintentional.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
By major, I mean G8, or Group of 8, an international forum of the world's most important economic countries, which includes: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the UK, and the US.

Why is America, arguably, the richest (measured in GDP and per-capita), most globally significant, and prominent country in the world so consumed with god?

Compared to other similarly developed nations (the UK, Japan, Norway) the US continues to lag behind in it's acceptance of scientific reason, particularly in regards to evolution, sexual preference, and genetics.

Compared to these other countries, the US also is an outcast in that the religious affiliation and belief in god of government candidates come into to question, and plays a huge role in whether or not that person may become elected.

A number of you keep talking about this so-called "moral decline", and I find that so incredibly ironic because unless the US stops being blindsighted religious myths, it's about to head down a decline - an economic decline that it will never recover from.
How did America, the only major nation that relies on God, become so great"

Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
a few of us feel, not everybody, that there is a connection between god (or higher power as they like to say these days) and success.
thats bout it no?
many atheists who have posted felt everything was a question of utter luck.
i respect their views but i am gona stick with the god thing.
i did not see hostility in our post and i want you to know i appreciate that.

ps by the way your profile of major nations was interesting but as to power, completely left out the mid east power block a huge force in the world which is, by the way montheistic almost 100%.
have a good day.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Well, I think that because we are a nation that was founded with freedom of religion we have never exercised the option to persecute people of faith. Major countries in Europe, Asia, and elsewhere have at many times in their past exercised persecutory religious fervor.

England, probably a country that most similarly represents America in Europe, actually has a "State Church." Remember also, that it was the Pilgrims fleeing religious persecution that came here, and they came from England.

Spain did it in the Inquisition and for political or religious reasons (I'm still not sure which) is still having problems with the Basques.

Japan didn't really persecute the religious, but they did make demi-gods out of their emperors up until the end of World War II.

Hitler most certainly persecuted people, as did Stalin.

One note on Stalin... although Stalin was most definitely an Atheist, at the time of his regime takeover all of the previous tsars were also seen as heads of the church, and were looked at as perhaps a little higher than human but not quite a god status. As sick and maniacal a man as Stalin was, he would have been even crazier not to exploit that and he did.

I think these are the things that change the perspective of religion in countries. Although it doesn't eliminate the belief in god in many of these countries, it makes people realize that perhaps chastising one another, promoting religion as governmental substance, and persecuting people over their religious beliefs just isn't conducive to a working society. So, a lot of these countries just don't let it affect how they rely on things.

Contrary to that, America, has always been a nation with a large Christian population. Keep in mind, that our relative geographic isolation (not so much now with the world of travel) for about one hundred and fifty years allowed for the already Christian majority in the country to promote their beliefs even further. It was never questioned and never spoken about. It was just an acceptable practice. Meanwhile, philosophers such as Kant, Voltaire, Bacon, and others were hitting the forefront of Europe with "radical" ideas. Often enough, these philosophers were heard about in the States but the idea was rabid that these were "evil" and "heretical" men. So, to me, it seems that although our geographic isolation has provided us a country wrought with resources, and wealth, it has also hindered our growth as a philosophically minded community and the remnants of that we witness even today.
That was a great history lesson...thanks, GCS! That really does explain a lot, however, Saltine did bring up a valid point about how America, so heavily relying on God, became so rich and powerful. I'm sure there is more of a theoretical viewpoint for this, but I like the God answer.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
a few of us feel, not everybody, that there is a connection between god (or higher power as they like to say these days) and success.
thats bout it no?
many atheists who have posted felt everything was a question of utter luck.
i respect their views but i am gona stick with the god thing.
i did not see hostility in our post and i want you to know i appreciate that.

ps by the way your profile of major nations was interesting but as to power, completely left out the mid east power block a huge force in the world which is, by the way montheistic almost 100%.
have a good day.
Well Warren Buffett and Bill Gates are living proof that belief in god certianly has nothing to do with financial success. As far as countries go, the US is fourth in per capita GDP.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
That was a great history lesson...thanks, GCS! That really does explain a lot, however, Saltine did bring up a valid point about how America, so heavily relying on God, became so rich and powerful. I'm sure there is more of a theoretical viewpoint for this, but I like the God answer.
Actually, the same thing that helped promote Christianity within this country is the same thing that helped our economy prosper.... our geographic isolation. But, remember, that just prior to World War II, we were going through a Great Depression. It was our entrance into World War II that kickstarted our economy. The need for trucks, bombs, airplanes, bullets, bombs, and beans spurred up jobs and created a forceful impact on our economy. Major wars are, sadly enough, good for the economy. The war in Iraq is really in no way comparable to World War II as far as economic progress is concerned. Now, there are only a few companies that provide all the contracting to fuel the Iraq War. I suggest you look up the growth of Haliburton and Blackwater since 2003 to see how much they have grown since the war in Iraq started. What you see happening to those companies is what happened to the entire American economy in World War II.

Something I hated the most in the military.... wearing a uniform that had a "Made in China" label on it. That just felt disgusting.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:36 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post

Is there a source for this data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality