Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,954,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Maybe you're not going to think it's fair of me to answer your question with a question (with two questions, actually), but your answers will help me formulate my answer to you.

1. What should God have done to keep the Holocaust from happening? Should He just have killed Hitler prior to his rise to power? Do you think that would have done it? Or should He just have somehow made sure other countries intervened long before they did?

2. How much "evil" should God permit? What should He let people get away with and what kinds of things should He make sure don't happen (presumably by killing off the "bad guys" before they do their damage)? In addition to making sure the Holocaust didn't happen, should He have also made sure slavery didn't happen? In addition to making sure slavery didn't happen, should He have also made sure the financial crisis of 2008 didn't happen?

(I'm just trying to figure out when, where and how you believe He should be intervening.)
My question was quite clear. What possible reason could there be for a God to allow this . Your questions you ask have nothing to do with a possible answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Why are you blaming God for something that human beings do to other human beings? You also seem to be looking for excuses to disbelieve or hate God, but I can't really know that with any certainty. Only you know for certain.

The worst that any person can do to another is to kill the body. That is insignificant compared to all of eternity and ultimately killing the mortal body is pointless. We will all live again in immortality for all eternity. In the end, what has the killer actually accomplished?

If God did intervene to stop everything bad from happening, where would it end? Would we have any freedom left to us at all? Where do you draw the line between "God must always intervene" and "God can let it happen"?

If you have come to the ridiculously obvious conclusion that the Jewish Holocaust was a terrible thing, why are you wasting your time railing against God for it? Why aren't you asking "How could any human being do something like that to another and how can we prevent it from ever happening again??" That second line of questioning might actually accomplish something useful. Railing against God for something that God didn't even do is pointless.
How could a God even allowed this to happen? After all, he is supposed to love us.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,439,641 times
God allowed the Holocaust for the same reason that he has permitted all human suffering: to settle moral issues that were raised long ago. The Bible clearly indicates that at present the Devil, not God, rules the world. And two basic facts below, from the Bible can help explain why God allowed the Holocaust.

Whose free will caused the Holocaust? God told the first humans, Adam and Eve, what he expected of them, but he did not force them to obey. They chose to decide for themselves what was good and bad, and their bad choice—and similar choices by people throughout history—has brought horrible consequences to mankind. It is as the book Statement of Principles of Conservative Judaism says: "Much of the world’s suffering directly results from our misuse of the free will granted to us." Rather than revoke our free will, God has given humans time to try to manage their affairs independent of him.

God can and will undo all the damage of the Holocaust.
God promises to bring back to life millions who have died, including Holocaust victims. He will also eliminate the pain that Holocaust survivors feel because of horrific memories. God’s love for mankind guarantees that he will fulfill these promises --John 3:16

Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So there was no compassion, even for the innocent children, because of the evil and sin being perpetrated against them.

Huh?

How does that relate to "God loves you"?

How can anyone try and spin this is a good thing?
I don't see anyone spinning anything

Who said the Holocaust was a "good" thing?

Just because innocent people die/died horrible deaths at the hands of evil men does not mean God doesn't love us.

When evil is perpetuated upon the innocent God grieves with the rest of us.

But if he intervened and interfered with the free will of just one person then the gift of it for everyone would become meaningless.

Doing that would also make God a puppet master pulling all the strings - something he will not ever be or do.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,762,572 times
Quote:
How could a God even allowed this to happen? After all, he is supposed to love us.
Yeah I don't think we're getting anywhere. I offered my answers and then asked you questions. You didn't answer them. Then it looks like Katzpur asked you the same sorts of questions. You didn't answer her either.

This is beginning to feel a lot like having a philosophical debate/discussion with a parrot. I'm not entirely sure you even want an answer.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I don't see anyone spinning anything

Who said the Holocaust was a "good" thing?

Just because innocent people die/died horrible deaths at the hands of evil men does not mean God doesn't love us.

When evil is perpetuated upon the innocent God grieves with the rest of us.

But if he intervened and interfered with the free will of just one person then the gift of it for everyone would become meaningless.

Doing that would also make God a puppet master pulling all the strings - something he will not ever be or do.
And this is why so many people have turned their backs on organized religion. No compassion and no empathy for those that are harmed.

One just gets psycho babble of God loves us but allows us to have free will.

Why would anyone not previously exposed to religion even think joining a sect that thinks in this manner.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:10 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,621,515 times
Quote:
As Karen Armstrong states in "A History of God" in discussing the Holocaust and its affect on many Jews..."If this God is omnipotent, he could have prevented the Holocaust. If he was unable to stop it, he is impotent and useless. If he could have stopped it and chose not to, he is a monster.

So those of you believe your God is only good, what possible reason was there for your God to allow the Holocaust to happen?
One very big reason was to initiate the movement of Jews back into the land and restore Israel as a nation. This was a primary result of the holocaust. What happened to the Jews in the holocaust pales in comparison to the judgment that God will impose on the Jews during the future Tribulation. The purpose of the Tribulation will be to cause the Jews to recognize that Jesus is the Messiah whom they rejected at His First Advent.

Currently there is a partial regathering of Jews in the land in a state of unbelief. When Christ returns at the end of the Tribulation all the Jews will be brought into the land and they will be in a state of belief.

God judges nations and He judges individuals. And His judgments are perfectly just.

Just added;
Okay, I thought this thread was in the Christianity forum for some reason. Otherwise I would not have bothered replying.

Last edited by Michael Way; 09-04-2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,587,873 times
Quote:
My question was quite clear. What possible reason could there be for a God to allow this . Your questions you ask have nothing to do with a possible answer.
Quote:
It's not working. The old argument that since evil exists God must not exist. It is a failed strategy.

Quote:
And this is why so many people have turned their backs on organized religion. No compassion and no empathy for those that are harmed.

Why would anyone not previously exposed to religion even think joining a sect that thinks in this manner.
What you call psycho babble just happens to be reality. In God's wisdom He has allowed freewill. Would you prefer to be forced to Love God? I think not. Freewill is just and right. I prefer freedom over dictatorship. How about you?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,902,551 times
Quote:

Good grief! Why are you assuming none of us have any compassion for the victims of the Holocaust, or any unjust evil act?

Did you really want answers, or just to argue?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good grief! Why are you assuming none of us have any compassion for the victims of the Holocaust, or any unjust evil act?

Did you really want answers, or just to argue?
Chapter and verse is not an answer. YOU may have compassion, but your God appears not to have any.

The questions I asked have not been answered. Instead I have received the biblical interpretations of what various, people think God means.

Original sin has been indicated or the lack of acceptance of Jesus as a savior has also been indicated. How does that deal with compassion for innocent children who were murdered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality