Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The Bible can be a difficult book to understand when it is not read properly.

Your interpretations here prove my point
I'm all ears as to what type of different interpretation would be valid. That is, if we agree that words used should not be taken literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
father or mother, let him die the death." (See Ex 21:15, Lev 20:9, Dt 21:18-21)

So, does Jesus think that children who curse their parents should be killed? It sure sounds like it. 15:4-7

That is good?

BTW do you support the killing of disobedient children? Romans 1:31-32 calls for that. Oh, and killing of homosexuals.

That is good?

I have a lot more if you need them.

Buy don't say your god is only good... Your own bible says otherwise.

Where do you get your morality from?
Quote:
Show me how I misquoted anything... It is verbatim KJV[Romans 1: 31-32 says this: they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
Where does it say we should kill anyone? To deserve death is an opinion, not a call to action. And the death of which is spoken is a spiritual death (aka otherwise known as hell). Murder is a sin. Context my friend, yes context

Sorry, but if you hate God that is fine. But truth be told you are not getting anywhere with your effort to sway theists to either become atheists or hate God. You are not fresh nor original.[/

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-04-2013 at 11:08 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Where does it say we should kill anyone? To deserve death is an opinion, not a call to action. And the death of which is spoken is a spiritual death (aka otherwise known as hell). Murder is a sin. Context my friend, yes context

Sorry, but if you hate God that is fine. But truth be told you are not getting anywhere with you effort to sway theists to either become atheists or hate God. You are not fresh nor original.[/
Verbatim (sorry missed Romans 30)

1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

1:31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I'm not sure how long can possibly miss interpret that as anything other than physical death.

This too bad that the ones that are literal interpreters of the Bible do not understand the universal truth that nature provides us.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
This too bad that the ones that are literal interpreters of the Bible do not understand the universal truth that nature provides us.
OK I'll bite. Tell me about nature.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The Bible can be a difficult book to understand when it is not read properly.

Your interpretations here prove my point

I agree here the OP needs a better understanding of the bible as it is a lost cause trying to explain.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I agree here the OP needs a better understanding of the bible as it is a lost cause trying to explain.
I guess two English versions and one foreign language version of the Bible as well as reading two concordances should give one fairly good understanding of that book. Of course they're a number of history books that dwell into the construct of both christianity and the bible.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I guess two English versions and one foreign language version of the Bible as well as reading two concordances should give one fairly good understanding of that book.
In theory one would think so, but in actuality it does not seem to have worked that way for you.

Since the Bible is apparently something that really interests you, perhaps you could consider taking a class or two on how to actually read and study it?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Maybe you're not going to think it's fair of me to answer your question with a question (with two questions, actually), but your answers will help me formulate my answer to you.

1. What should God have done to keep the Holocaust from happening? Should He just have killed Hitler prior to his rise to power? Do you think that would have done it? Or should He just have somehow made sure other countries intervened long before they did?

2. How much "evil" should God permit? What should He let people get away with and what kinds of things should He make sure don't happen (presumably by killing off the "bad guys" before they do their damage)? In addition to making sure the Holocaust didn't happen, should He have also made sure slavery didn't happen? In addition to making sure slavery didn't happen, should He have also made sure the financial crisis of 2008 didn't happen?

(I'm just trying to figure out when, where and how you believe He should be intervening.)
Quote:
My question was quite clear. What possible reason could there be for a God to allow this . Your questions you ask have nothing to do with a possible answer.
No cupper...you just didn't "get it". Katzpur understood what you were asking...but was then asking you how you think God should have gone about stopping it.
And, if you think God should stop evil, how much evil should God stop...just the "ultra-bad" evil (like what Hitler did), or all evil?

The "slam" on God that you proffer here is a very old one...much has been written on it.
Try this: Please Convince Me...it might help ya understand.

But let's take God out of the equation. Let's just take "The Problem of Evil" on its own.
Like...What should we do with people that are sooooooo evil they would buy jewelry, or a computer, or a television...when they know there are tens of millions of people starving to death at this very moment?
You know...people like US. I mean...what possible reason could we have for being so evil as to be like that? How much more heartless and cruel could we be? Buy a computer while others are starving to death?! WOW!...now THAT is as evil as evil gets!
Since you probably believe there is no God...and mankind is fully in charge of its own affairs. How do we deal with things like the great evil of greed...and the people that practice it (like you, and me, and everyone else on this board) to such a point that they would buy things they don't really need instead of buying food for people that are starving to death? Hey...if God is bad for not doing what He is supposedly capable of doing to stop evil...then so are we.
YOU play God...and tell us how YOU would deal with rotten, evil people like we are...and "square" things such as that?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
I think it is safe to use the Epicurus argument based on all the answers offered thus far.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
It is pretty obvious that amount of side stepping and deflections, respondents believe in a non interventionist type of god which is the premise of deism.

Just for the record, there is actually no such thing as free will. It is a myth. In fact the whole premise of this philosophy fails as your lot in life is practically determined by where you are born, everything else is a logical progression from there. Calvinism is probably the closest model to reality even though in itself it is pretty warped.

Freewill suggests that one is able to affect outcomes but we cannot as the choices we make are always governed by external criteria not under our influence. We are presented with a choice which we make. What leads up to that choice is a whole sequence of events preceding the choice outside our control OR the result of earlier choices.

The only way one is able to see this is by reflection of your past. It would be nice if we were able to see the future based on alternate choices we could make but safe to say, no one can see or predict the future concerning one's own lot in life.

Theists should actually study this concept of free will I am sure that you will see how weak this argument actually is.

Perhaps I see stuff differently b/c I have lived in 3 different countries where internal cultures were different in many ways.

Here is an example.

I am a smoker since I was 8. I am now 55. Did I have free will to start smoking? Let us look at the external circumstances.
  1. Tobacco was discovered in the USA and exported back to Europe. Sir Walter Raleigh
  2. Advertising campaigns suggested it is cool to smoke and even macho in many cases. Also posited as a relaxing thing.
  3. My brother started working at 18 and is 10 years older than me, thus I had ample access to cigarettes, I thought my bro was cool, all his buddies smoked (peer pressure)
So there were a number of issues outside my control that led me to make the choice to smoke or not to smoke.

Was I coerced or did I really make an unambiguous out of the blue choice to smoke?

Bear in mind, we all grew up in a cult that suggested smoking is a sin.

That decision 47 years ago will have negative effects on my health and probably my longevity. However I still enjoy smoking, pretty cheap here, roughly a dollar for 20.

Really what influences us the most is conformance to other peoples (apparent) standards.

There are just too many examples I can posit that refutes the concept of free will.

Furthermore, the whole concept of freewill is derived from a false premise aka a set up which suggests humans are born inherently flawed aka original sin. Seeing that the tale of Adam and Eve do not represent reality in any way whatsoever, the aspect of OS is moot. This invariably leads to the conclusion that even if the Jesus fella existed, his supposed sacrifice made not one iota of difference to the evolution of societies. We observe that self proclaimed christians are no different to anyone else.

The question of this thread is valid and a hard one to ratify considering the close ties of the RCC and Hitler and the mere fact that Hitler and his followers were mostly christian yet were able to carry out atrocities however they chose to justify their acts. Actually the parallels to Nazi Germany with the US patriotism are eerily similar.

The buckle of the German army had this

Gott mit uns

The US has "in God we Trust" on their currency, in their pledge and so on.

The reality is that humans do despicable things regardless of their beliefs, there is no god to apportion blame to. Your own bible even suggests that it rains on the just and unjust alike.

I have said numerous times here, god is real to the believer but only exists in their mind. Were that not the case here, one answer would have sufficed but what we so often see in a lot of jumping through mental hoops to defend this imaginary god. God is really only an extension of your own ego. Whatever good or bad christians do is not because of their beliefs, it is because they are inherently good or bad people.

Folk profess that they are fallible and not perfect but follow a supposed perfect Jesus who likely did not even exist as reported. It is of course easy to defend this when you cherry pick the bible for all the warm fuzzies and ignore the blatant contradictions by the same alleged man.

I can do much the same and make a very convincing argument for a secular non religious Jesus. The gospels are not even a biography as a lot of it was hearsay. Imagine me attempting to do a biography of anyone w/o first hand knowledge or at the very least many corroborating and reliable testimonies. We do not even know who the authors of the gospels actually were, the origins. The best info we have is that certain books were voted into the canon circa 350CE which is a huge lapse of time to lose important details or add embellishments.

Most folk follow the bible texts derived from the KJV1611 translation. They did not translate from originals and only used the Septuagint which was based on erroneous texts. I have posted a pic that summarises this more than once.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times
This is the scary crap I've gotten out of this thread so far....
1. The Holocaust helped make human history non-boring, just like perfect golf would be boring so would a perfect world.
2. So what if kids died they always have
3. Does it matter, it wasn't even the biggest killing
4. God wanted the jews to pack up a UHaul and move somewhere, so the Holocaust reminded them to get a move on
5. Ho Hum, suppose humans should have loved Jesus better.

Not saying this is the intent of the comments on the thread, but it's the impression they are leaving regarding Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality