Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:30 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

As Karen Armstrong states in "A History of God" in discussing the Holocaust and its affect on many Jews..."If this God is omnipotent, he could have prevented the Holocaust. If he was unable to stop it, he is impotent and useless. If he could have stopped it and chose not to, he is a monster.

So those of you believe your God is only good, what possible reason was there for your God to allow the Holocaust to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:58 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
As Karen Armstrong states in "A History of God" in discussing the Holocaust and its affect on many Jews..."If this God is omnipotent, he could have prevented the Holocaust. If he was unable to stop it, he is impotent and useless. If he could have stopped it and chose not to, he is a monster.

So those of you believe your God is only good, what possible reason was there for your God to allow the Holocaust to happen?
I hope you realize you are not the first person to post the age old "problem" of the all loving god, who allows evil to occur.

One example and you can find many more on this and ther Boards:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...olent-god.html

The problem with this bit of logic is that it's premise is false. Anyone who has read the Bible will quickly realize that God is only good (omnibenevolent). Usually this line of reasoning is meant to convince a theist that:
A. God does not exist or
B. God is weak or evil

Falls flat, because disagreeable behavior on the part of God has no bearing on whether He exists. Secondly, part of being all powerful means one is not obliged to follow a course of action (stop the evil actions of humans) As far as God being evil, well since I don't know the reason why God allows evil, one can only speculate. God is who He is. He may not fit the human definition of all good. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

One needs to consider whether God exists and if so, what does it all mean. I will say this: were it not for the Holocaust, the modern State of Israel would likely not exist.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:

Simple:

Man has free will.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Simple:

Man has free will.
I'm not so sure that the Jews had much ability to exercise their free will.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I hope you realize you are not the first person to post the age old "problem" of the all loving god, who allows evil to occur.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...olent-god.html

The problem with this bit of logic is that it's premise is false. Anyone who has read the Bible will quickly realize that God is only good (omnibenevolent). Usually this line of reasoning is meant to convince a theist that:
A. God does not exist or
B. God is weak or evil

Falls flat, because disagreeable behavior on the part of God has no bearing on whether He exists. Secondly, part of being all powerful means one is not obliged to follow a course of action (stop the evil actions of humans) As far as God being evil, well since I don't know the reason why God allows evil, one can only speculate. God is who He is. He may not fit the human definition of all good. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

One needs to consider whether God exists and if so, what does it all mean. I will say this: were it not for the Holocaust, the modern State of Israel would likely not exist.
So how does this answer the question of why the Holocaust was allowed to occur?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Quote:

Well that's not entirely correct since most of the Jews who were there were from pre-WW2. And the largest influx of Jews came from N. Africa and the Arab countries to the east of Israel after 1948. Most of those Jews were unaffected by the Holocaust. The influx of Jews from Europe was around 150k. While by the signing of the Armistice in 1949 there were nearly 1.2 Million Jews.

So maybe G_d chose which Jews were on the correct path and which were not. And it may seem the Europeans (Ashkenazi) may not have been.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Society_&_Culture/israel_palestine_pop.html
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Society_&_Culture/Population_of_Israel.html

Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
I've heard on many occasions Christians state, when posed with this same question, that God allowed the Holocaust to occur as punishment to the Jews for turning their backs on His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Personally, I put about as much stock into that explanation as I do when Christians say that Hurricane Katrina was sent as God's wrath to New Orleans.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:28 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:

Other genocides have occurred since the Jewish Holocaust. One occurred in Southeast Asia in Cambodia circa the Vietnam War. The last occurred, probably, in Rwanda in Africa.

To me, if God exists one must accept God on God's own terms. "Must" in terms of the consequences if one does not.

So, I really see no reason in getting into all of these "but horrible suffering happens, so, why obey or praise God when you can rebel against God as a 'monster' and burn eternally in hell."

Imagine living in the territory that is now the United States with no government and no jails and prisons. You live as you wish. You want to smoke marijuana then you do. No cops or jails to throw you in. You're 44 and an attractive 14 year old girl wants to have sex with you? You and her have sex. Only her and her loved ones do you need to be concerned about. No "Land of the Free" to tax, regulate, and incarcerate you.

But we live in a United States that does have a government, laws, tax system, and jails. And every year more and more laws get created in the United States. Almost anything you do can land you in jail or in probation or fined and/or given a "record" for something. The Federal Government spies on its citizens. Cameras watch our every move increasingly on public streets.

But this is the way it is. And government's unlike God can't sentence you for eternity. Punishment from governments is only temporary. But that temporary punishment is enough to inspire obedience, fear, and praise from most citizens. So, it stands to reason to me I ought obey and fear God even that much more.

I truly believe wisdom begins with fear of God. (I'm sure that does not appeal to most people's egos though.)

Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
It doesn't. If you have a real answer, I am all ears.
I hate when this happens:
Quote:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/969749-benevolent-god.html

The problem with this bit of logic is that it's premise is false. Anyone who has read the Bible will quickly realize that God is not only good (omnibenevolent). Usually this line of reasoning is meant to convince a theist that:
A. God does not exist or
B. God is weak or evil

Ugh...Of all the words to leave out. Meant to say NOT only good.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:53 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:

Well, what do the atheists think of their utopia alternative during the same time with Stalin's affect on many Russians was occuring?

I see that if the atheist alternative model had its way in Germany, an addition 18-56 million more Jews would have been Holocaust'ed.

So I'd say that our God was way more powerful in limiting the evil done than the atheist delusional utopia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality