Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Human knowledge is dialectical, the science that one holds today will be obsolete sometime in the future (read some history of ideas or study your own little changing meaningless existence). This means that one's concept of reality will also become obsolete (read Foucault as he disects the previous centuries over and over). We live in our brains where information comes to it from the senses. Reality is interpreted and put in the form of discourse when we explain it to each other or create disciplines such as science, psychology, etc.
OK, interesting post so far... I can agree to an extent.

Quote:
Atheism is a religion
WHOA how did you get here suddenly? Atheism is not a religion, unless you consider not collecting stamps to be a hobby.

Quote:
Atheism is a religion where the atheist projects his religious consciousness on himself, some group, race, or the human mass-
Please define "religious consciousness."

Quote:
they are always defending god if you listen; such as, "if there was a god there would not be evil". What he is really saying is that if there was a god he would be like me,
No, that's not it at all. Almost every person who believes in a god will tell you that their god is good, and that it has absolute power to control the universe. Evil would not exist if a god with all of these properties existed. It's not about what atheists think their god would be like, it's about what they are told that God is like.

Quote:
because I set the characteristics of what the god is. I am the standard; therefore, I (or we) am god. The sociologist Durkheim found that a tribe's idols were themselves. All this explains why "religious" atheistic Americans (other religions would be the same just a different form) view their god as a big president in the sky (we have freedom, god won't violate my will, I can resist him, etc) rich folk want-a-be (s) see their god as a money machine. All this involves projecting their reason, yes reason-read Hegel's philosophy of religion (or in the mode of the god/religious consciousness)- being projected onto some "form" just like the atheist. This means for the atheist though, that his god is a little petty god, can't balance a check book, goes in a funk when rejected by a little girl, is addicted to joints, embarrassed by the shirt he has on, has some mania, is ideological, lazy, insecure, over achiever, has racial superiority issues, and yes has moments of greatness, but always short lived and laden with defects and only accomplished by a small percentage of the "divine" race-this list goes on and varies from atheist to atheist I am sure. Their anger at christianity (primarily it seems) is that it puts forth a god that in nothing like them, so the god won't kiss their butts, and this really pisses them off and why wouldn't it, they are merely temporary members of petty temporary race?
You speak as if every atheist is the same, and that we are all "petty, can't balance a check book, goes in a funk when rejected by a little girl, is addicted to joints, embarrassed by the shirt he has on, has some mania, is ideological, lazy, insecure, over achiever, has racial superiority issues, and yes has moments of greatness, but always short lived and laden with defects."

This is just full of baseless assumptions, accusations and gross over-generalizations, and reveals more truthfulness about yourself than the atheists you think you know so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,404,966 times
That is my point about science. What is correct today will be wrong tomorrow (by the way, dialectical sorta means self correcting-I thought this was a philosophy page). One sees evolution today put forth as the truth, for example (George Will said so). As a "fact" it is now dogma (a theological category) and actually a looking backward at an old "dogma" in an attempt to keep it in place-just like religion. Try and speak against it and you will see how dogmatic it is. Older philosophy tried to eliminate dogmatism.

As the atheist thing goes you didn't read my post carefully. I did not accuse them of believing in an "actual"l god. They merely project their rationality on to something. In their case the god is themselves. Smart atheists know this (say, Ayn Rand in a way) dumb atheists, like dumb religious people, have not reach a state of reflection where they are aware of it. As a philosophy page, I evidently made the mistake of thinking people here have actually read philosophy. Hegel has gone through the process in his philosophy of religion, course for him reason was god and the process works out when that is finally arrived at by mind. I merely adapted it some to the atheist. As far as hair color, there used to be a product to spray on the bald head and give it color; atheism is a poor religion, but it is one.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:50 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
That is my point about science. What is correct today will be wrong tomorrow (by the way, dialectical sorta means self correcting-I thought this was a philosophy page). One sees evolution today put forth as the truth, for example (George Will said so). As a "fact" it is now dogma (a theological category) and actually a looking backward at an old "dogma" in an attempt to keep it in place-just like religion. Try and speak against it and you will see how dogmatic it is. Older philosophy tried to eliminate dogmatism.
How can science be self-correcting and dogmatic at the same time? Evolution is continually being updated, as every scientific theory is; it is not dogmatic, although some people may treat it as such. That doesn't mean all atheists or all people who believe in evolution are dogmatic. If that were the case, you may as well say that all belief is dogmatic, including the idea that we actually live in an external world, and that just destroys the value in the meaning of the word "dogmatic."

Quote:
As the atheist thing goes you didn't read my post carefully. I did not accuse them of believing in an "actual"l god.
Actually, you did not read my post carefully. I didn't say you accused them of believing in an actual god, I said you accused them of projecting themselves on their definitions of God. This may be the case for some people, but in many cases an atheist's concept of the hypothetical God is based on what definitions of God theists say they believe in.

Quote:
They merely project their rationality on to something. In their case the god is themselves. Smart atheists know this (say, Ayn Rand in a way) dumb atheists, like dumb religious people, have not reach a state of reflection where they are aware of it. As a philosophy page, I evidently made the mistake of thinking people here have actually read philosophy. Hegel has gone through the process in his philosophy of religion, course for him reason was god and the process works out when that is finally arrived at by mind. I merely adapted it some to the atheist. As far as hair color, there used to be a product to spray on the bald head and give it color; atheism is a poor religion, but it is one.
Atheism is not a religion. Bald is not a hair color. If you are spraying color on a bald head, you are adding color to it, but the head is still bald underneath. And it wouldn't even really be a hair color, it would be a spray color. But if you chose to call it a hair color (as in no longer bald but having hair), then you are no longer talking about baldness but a hair color. Likewise, you wouldn't be talking about atheism; you would be talking about a religion that is replacing atheism.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:37 PM

77 posts, read 120,703 times
Default The Grandest theft. (For Some)

[ Yesterday, Nov. 21 2009, Congress folk and the Senate got together for a chat, to see if the majority amongst them could scrabble up enough votes to allow the proposed Health Care Plan, go forward as being worthy of real discussion. The Democrats had 60 votes, voted as a block for passing, worthy of further discussion. The Republican block, voted against the Health Care Plan, as not worthy of further discussion.
Every Federal Politician keeps giving proof of being an idiot. They also forget that they are employees of the Tax Payers. I would like to use a stronger adjective than idiot, yet they have proven they are not only idiots, but thieves as well. I know four letter Anglo Saxon words that would obtain much better than my simple definition just mentioned. To make such an assertion without proof, would make me as bad as the politicians of Both Parties, so I will dispose of any handle that attempts to dispute my statement.
I will assume that those who try to denounce my statements, have the brains to get on a computer, and to research the case about the Mt. Soledad Latin Cross, in San Diego. While researching the true history about Latin Crosses, they might as well learn that all so called Latin crosses, were in earlier history used as Phallic Symbols. Note, if you are wearing one around your neck, it is probable hung the wrong way up, or down. Regarding the San Diego Phallic Symbol, everyone in the Senate and in Congress as a whole, unanimously voted to steal a small part of San Diego, and to turn it into a plot of Federal land, and call it a Federal Park, so they could keep the Phallic Symbol, standing upside down as a Christian Memorial. This was done with the aid of the Un-Supreme Court, after a Federal Appeals Court Judge had voted against the Phallic Symbol and given a date for the Phallic Symbol to be removed from Public Property. I should add that the President of the time could have attempted to make void the Soledad experience, but then he might have lost a breakfast buddy. Note, A court created by humans, cannot be greater or supreme to their more perfect imaginary god, to whom the believers in Myth, appear to worship.
The paragraph just written, is about a lesser theft than the grandest theft. So let’s get with it.
I think, which is a Value Judgment, that for many years the so called Idiot Politicians, Presidents and Vice Presidents, plus the many clowns of the Un-Supreme Court, at this moment, are happy with this magnificent Health Plan they created for themselves, BECAUSE THE TAXPAYERS PAY FOR THEIR HEALTH PLAN; A PLAN THEY DON’T WANT THE TAXPAYER TO ENJOY. I admit that the only Politician I heard speak against this nonsense and a form of theft is Senator Rockefeller.
The plan which they are voting against, has everything proposed that is in The Politician’s Health Plan, except that perhaps, the Politician’s Health Plan, might not recognize women as tax payers, They do not want to allow taxpayer’s money to be spent for abortions. So rape and assault upon females are not treated fairly, for who care about the rights of women, sadly it appears to be the thought line of most of the males, whether they are Politicians or Judges, all the way up to Judges on the Mini Court, or the chief assizes of the country
When did the unscrupulous folk I am mentioning, become idiots? I have to ask the question, ‘When did abortion become a thing for Politicians and Judges to deem, that abortion is something they should, and can control?’ This country was founded as a Federal Secular Republic. Abortion is a Medical procedure. Read that line again. Abortion is a Medical procedure. Are the clowns who don’t understand this, intelligent enough to understand that by law, anyone who has not got a medical degree, can not pass themselves off as experts, nor give advice on a Medical Procedure. Do the idiots who pass laws, immediately forget what laws they have passed? Now we come to the other side of the Discussion. Deeming abortion is Political and Judgmental, is stupid to intelligent people. The practice of deeming Abortion not fit for a Health Plan, is simply a religious thought, stupidly maintained by non thinking folk, such as Politicians and Judges, who believe in the existence of Mythological entities. This is madness, upheld by non thinking nitwits who pass judgment on religious thoughts, in a Secular Society. It is stupidity in line with laws called THE WILL OF GOD. Has anyone seen a god in a courtroom, or pockets in a shroud? That type of thinking is more likely to become law with Roman Catholic Presidents in the White House, than without them. The ignorant Abe Lincoln, set the stage for religious practices to obtain, by decreeing that members of the Senate and the Congress, should be sworn in via religious regurgitation. He should have been impeached, but the Un-Supreme Court members, headed by Justice Taney, welcomed him into Office, because those Un-Supreme Court members, had sworn about six God Oaths, prior to becoming the Chief Honcho’s of Religion.
When I was a school boy, I grew up in a mixed society of Protestants, and Roman Catholics. Those days it was easy to tell the RC Kids, from the Protestants; the RC kids came from large families, and had Irish names. It was a simple and very accurate observation. That was their milieu and the kids of the RC parents went to the RC Schools, to be taught about horrors of going to a Mythological Hell, and nonsense of Mythological Heaven. The date today, as these thoughts are considered, is the 46th anniversary of the date, when the first Roman Catholic President of the USA, was assassinated. He came from a large Roman Catholic family, and could have been assumed of that because the Kennedy family, were of Irish heritage.
The stealing of the little crumb of land in San Diego, mentioned earlier, was created and engineered by two Roman Catholics. One an Irish named member of the Un-Supreme Court, and the other a West Coast Politician. At the present time, we have a President in the White House, and judging by the size of the family, one can’t tell if he is an acting Roman Catholic, or just a run of the mill Roman Catholic, who thinks he is a Catholic. It is just as difficult to find out if he is a believer in Islamic faith, because his father was a supposed member of Islamic faith. This is the way I like it. The President’s belief system is, or can be a matter for only him to know. However I think in a book of faith, somewhere it states, ‘By their acts you shall know them.’
There is an element of truth in the above statement, and in that regard, the second act of President O’Bama, after his first act of having part of Pakistan bombed, was to do a run around Congress, and enlarge the so called Theft from the General fund, and give Tax Payer’s money to religious organizations, just like the now Mr. George Bush Jr. George I guess, spoke with god before creating the slush fund. One can’t be sure why President O’Bama enlarged the slush fund, but it aligns with the statement of Mr. G. Bush Senior, who when running for a second term as the President of our Secular Government, stated on August 27th 1987, in Chicago, when responding to a question about Atheists, ungratefully said, 'I don’t know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.’ He wasn’t smart enough to know that his under God statement, is a stupid and ignorant value judgment. A guess.
That is why I, and many other sensible people, think prayers should not be said over tombs of unknown soldiers. Do the prayer Sayers’ know that the remains are not the remains of Atheist soldiers? Do they not realize they could be insulting the remains of a hero?
But what of the Grandest Theft? The Grandest Theft, is a gift from insulting and thieving Christians. Openly through ignorance, or stupidity. They have plundered and robbed our country of the reason this United States was founded as a Secular Country. They mock the Constitution, and mock non believers in the nonsense of Myth, to which all religious ideas belong. This mockery is an insulting anti Christian behavior, a behavior of those elected representatives, and Federal and State Judges. Yes, and even from Ex Presidents and his son, as noted. Clueless wonders who might not be aware of their vile behavior. Whatever the reason, the Grandest Theft is displayed every time a Politician opens his or her mouth, and a diarrhea of religion is aimed at the populace. Every Citizen is an American first. It is Citizenry that the Constitution is about, not a book of Mythology, which is misunderstood more by the believers, than those who care not about Myth.
A hope for a President, Politicians, and for Judges who practice what the Constitution states, is more important for Christianity, than for the non believer. Snaefell. Nov.22.2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality