Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I haven't met many people PERIOD who had a healthy upbringing.
True , actually, very true, I suspect we are screwed up one way or another by our parents and peers.

As Divine Oscar so beautifully put it though :
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the Stars" !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 AM

109 posts, read 205,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
it is i, nicolepsy, wishing to ask this because i made it a goal and im not even religious. actually sometimes i think i may be religious but i prefer to say "spiritual" since i dont believe in the bible or jesus but still made it a goal to read it since it is referred to so often in the secular world. anyone read it out of curiosity like me? p.s. i only read some of the old test and that is probably all i ever will read.
I don't think you'll find many atheists who haven't read it. It's the reason most of us become atheist in the first place.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
I don't think you'll find many atheists who haven't read it. It's the reason most of us become atheist in the first place.
Yep, Yep,Yep ... Though I wonder how many believers have read books by prominent atheists ?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:21 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
I've read it more than once and it's the reason I'm NOT an atheist. I think that's very interesting. I understand (I think) where you're coming from. It's just odd to me that the same words can have totally different effects on people.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes, several times. I was educated in a christian system. Am atheist now.

I wonder how many christians (especially those who fear, hate the muslims) have read the Koran. Interesting point, I know several Army officers who read the Koran before they got deployed to Iraq. It raised my level of respect for them.
I'm assuming the Army officers read the Koran to become more familiar with the local population. While laudable, I question whether it would actually help understand the 'locals'. Like Christianity and the Bible, Islam is the product of picking-and-choosing the importance of certain Koran passages over others. Simply reading the Koran is not, for example, going to give you an understanding as to why Sunnis and Shiites are so different, and why they hate each other.

Similarly, a foreigner attempting to read the Bible would assume that things like stoning, slavery, polygamy, etc... are all practiced in the United States, since these are all accepted practices in the Bible at one point or another. The reader wouldn't automatically know that mainstream Christianity has decided that other scriptures "override" these passages.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:03 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Quote:
I've read it more than once and it's the reason I'm NOT an atheist. I think that's very interesting. I understand (I think) where you're coming from. It's just odd to me that the same words can have totally different effects on people.
I think you might havs misunderstood what he was saying. What he meant was that most athiests = read Bible, while people who read the Bible might not necessarily be athiests. That is obviously not the case and if it were, Christianity would have died out a long time ago due to our increasing literacy rates! It's like "Oop, another 50 people read the Bible, we lose another 50 participants!"

I do agree that the same text might have different effects on different people though. I would attribute to upbringing, personality, immediate situation, and the messenger conveying the message.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:05 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Quote:
I think it's understandable. When I was younger, I was completely immersed in Christianity. I was a true believer. For various reasons, I slowly lost my faith, and now I best describe myself as "undecided, leaning heavily agnostic or atheist". When you read the Bible from an outside perspective, you realize that the Bible is filled with God-sanctioned brutality (human sacrifice, murder, rape, pillaging, etc...). But when you're a believer and you read these passages, you unconsciously dismiss them, and you say to yourself that you probably just don't understand all the circumstances behind it.

But the evidence is overwhelming. If the Bible is accurate, then God is a very depraved person. Look here for a compilation of atrocities by God....
The Holy Bible - [Depraved Literature] - Aethlos - Spencer Lord's Weltanschauung

Really....what kind of God enjoys the smell of burning human flesh?

Last edited by OmegaBaby; 11-20-2007 at 11:18 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I think you might havs misunderstood what he was saying.
Maybe.

I thought he was saying that he read the bible and it's apparent inconsistencies were the reason he's an atheist.

Dunno, maybe ST100 can tell us what he meant.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
I think it's understandable. When I was younger, I was completely immersed in Christianity. I was a true believer. For various reasons, I slowly lost my faith, and now I best describe myself as "undecided, leaning heavily agnostic or atheist". When you read the Bible from an outside perspective, you realize that the Bible is filled with God-sanctioned brutality (human sacrifice, murder, rape, pillaging, etc...). But when you're a believer and you read these passages, you unconsciously dismiss them, and you say to yourself that you probably just don't understand all the circumstances behind it.

But the evidence is overwhelming. If the Bible is accurate, then God is a very depraved person. Look here for a compilation of atrocities by God....
The Holy Bible - [Depraved Literature] - Aethlos - Spencer Lord's Weltanschauung
I can see that and I guess I can see how there are difficult passages that Christians must deal with to fully 'face their faith', if you will.

Having said that, I've never run from a passage of scripture or closed my Bible very quickly and said "Let's pretend that's not there" so I don't think I personally am guilty of seeing some difficult passages and then "unconsciously dismiss them". Many Christians are and truthfully, many preachers and pastors do the same thing.

No, I teach an adult Sunday School class and I'm a lay youth leader too and you might be surprised that many of these more difficult issues are the very ones I drag to the surface to talk about.

If I haven't gotten anything else from this forum, I've gotten the message that we (Christians and the church) have done a horrible job helping people defend and stand up for their faith.

Like I said in the Christian Deception thread, we don't know how to talk to people and if someone comes up and says to the average Christian "Hey, why was Christianity a rip off of Mithrism?"

They'd look like a deer caught in headlights. Well, hopefully not my youth group or Sunday School class. I say thanks to everyone for their honesty and their 'issues' with Christianity. It helps to know the 'real' questions behind the doubts and faces.

I don't have an answer for each and every issue that comes up. But I do trust God. And I do trust the Bible. I don't see the holes and discrepancies many do. But I am looking and learning to give a reason for the Hope that I have, and I know that will ever stop.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
I've read the bible.
I mean it has a lot of sex and violence, just like any other 'modern' adventure novel or comic book that I read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality