Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Distinction isn't just for us, it is also for the angels since as it is shown in the bible, even they can turn evil. God himself didn't necessary create evil itself, but he for sure created the option or availability of evil. As far as heaven is concerned, its quite possible that we will not have true freewill or at least the type we have on earth, though we honestly don't have all the facts on afterlife choice or knowledge of God's plan in future ages of eternity, so he may allow us to leave heaven and turn evil at some point if we really want to. He may even want to "start the story over" at some point on the new heavens and earth to remind people who is God or out of boredom for all we know lol. Like I said before, this is just a theory or hypothesis in Philosophy so who knows if evil even needs to exit when God becomes "all in all."
The beings described as 'angels' had to cover themselves with their six pairs of wings to avoid exploding and burning anyone who happened to look at them.

Not exactly a 'win' in my book.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
The beings described as 'angels' had to cover themselves with their six pairs of wings to avoid exploding and burning anyone who happened to look at them.

Not exactly a 'win' in my book.
I not really sure what you are talking about...but now becoming an angel sounds even more awesome! lol

Old 12-04-2013, 07:40 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Your doctrine and belief is quite lopsided and problematic. For one thing, any "Christian" who simply claims belief in Jesus in exchange for a "Get out of hell free" card probably isn't really saved. True salvation is a life changing experience. It occurs when you are willing and ready to say to God, I want you to take total control of my life and put my complete faith in you. When you are born again, you have a spiritual nature that hates sin. You want to love people. And you feel completely miserable when you do sin.
?
I do wonder what happens after a person decides to believe in Jesus. Is their faith questioned by those who experience true salvation? It sounds like your work is never done.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:49 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Your doctrine and belief is quite lopsided and problematic. For one thing, any "Christian" who simply claims belief in Jesus in exchange for a "Get out of hell free" card probably isn't really saved. True salvation is a life changing experience. It occurs when you are willing and ready to say to God, I want you to take total control of my life and put my complete faith in you. When you are born again, you have a spiritual nature that hates sin. You want to love people. And you feel completely miserable when you do sin.
This should be true of those who are "born of God" (conceived/begotten) . . . none of us are "born again" until our death. We exhibit it by our "love of God and each other" daily and by repenting when we don't.
Quote:
Oh the flip side, you have people who want to live a life apart from God and enjoy sin. God won't stop you. You can wreck your life all you want and go out in a blaze of glory. So is it wrong for God to judge and punish you for being a sinner? What should He do with them? They can't go to heaven because God can not coexist with sinners in a holy realm. He just can't. If you don't punish them, the someone like Hitler can enjoy the same fate as a person who merely cheated on their taxes. Would you be cool with that?
There should be punishment for sin so the really only question left is if you believe in a literal hell, does this punishment fit the crime?
We will all "reap what we sow" . . . but never more than we sow. The only way to lessen the consequences is through repentance. Hell as eternal torment is a ridiculous and outrageously unjust concept born of primitive savage minds and vengeance, period. It has nothing to do with God or justice.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't hate the concept of god, but I abhor what some people do with their beliefs...

Believers for instance are constantly touting gods love and free will, but do they love god freely, or because he commands it? He says love me and you will be rewarded, do not love me or believe in me and you will be punished....That is not love. and where is the free will?...It is more like a man hanging around a playground saying to a child, love me and I'll give you candy, and if you don't love me I'll hurt you....The archaic concept of god outlived it's value a long time ago.
Why does it bother you so much what other people believe? What business is it of yours? I get that you don't believe and that's your right, but I don't understand the hostility toward people that do.

I'm inclined to believe that you do believe deep down and the thought of God terrifies you.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Why does it bother you so much what other people believe? What business is it of yours? I get that you don't believe and that's your right, but I don't understand the hostility toward people that do.

I'm inclined to believe that you do believe deep down and the thought of God terrifies you.
You didn't take French in high school did you, Mike?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You didn't take French in high school did you, Mike?
Nope. But if you're referring to his name, it doesn't answer why what people "do" with their beliefs bother him or what business it is of his.

Nice try at attempting to deflect the issue though.

Last edited by Mike930; 12-04-2013 at 10:19 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:

Do you not ever tire of being wrong? I could care less what people believe as long as they treat others well, but that is not what I see from many religionists...What I see is bigotry, child abuse, attempts to influence our laws, interference in family affairs, violence and atrocities ( Religious Violence ) among other things....No, neither on the surface nor deep down could I ever force myself to believe such nonsense...I stopped believing in god not long after I stopped believing in santa.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:12 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:

Maybe this will help. It has pictures.

Religion Does No Harm, Bill Maher reflects - YouTube

Old 12-05-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you not ever tire of being wrong? I could care less what people believe as long as they treat others well, but that is not what I see from many religionists...What I see is bigotry, child abuse, attempts to influence our laws, interference in family affairs, violence and atrocities ( Religious Violence ) among other things....No, neither on the surface nor deep down could I ever force myself to believe such nonsense...I stopped believing in god not long after I stopped believing in santa.
Sorry, but you have no credibility. Your last post said it all. You reek of hypocrisy.

Thank God you're relegated to an Internet chat room where you make no difference. Bigotry? LOL. Take a look in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality