Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
There are some who believe that all will eventually come to accept God.

Do you agree?

Disagree?

who's god are you talking about,the God of Abraham, the God of the Hindus?..there are many gods. I believe in a Creator, not in one that is written in any sacred book and when my time comes to cross over to the next world I'll sit with my Creator around the sacred fire and have long discussions with him and my ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I believe all beings will go back to their Source as every drop of water does.
And that particular God or Spirit Entity would be something like Gene Rodenberry would have imagined
...as present in every corner of every molecule and each miniscule piece containing the
Whole...and all this is a hologram....not actually projected but, who knows, spreading
away from, out from the center of Reality ...which just so happens to be
contained at the center of every corner and crevasse of every proton and electron and the "empty" spaces between them....within and without every Universe and dimension...

Yes, I do think each being will realize Reality at some point.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:

Do you agree?

Disagree?
It's kind of an ambiguous question, but if I'm understanding your question correctly; for most adult atheists, believing in a god will take some kind of evidence. Many if not most atheists started out believing and then via critical thinking, and analyzation, they rejected the standard concept of god. For these people there once was a god belief, but no more. The reasons for becoming an atheist will probably not be forgotten or dismissed for the same reason people do not forget how to ride a bicycle.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Which god? There are thousands of them you know, and they are all the same....... imaginary. I really question the intelligence of people that ask such Moderator cut: deleted questions.

Short answer: NO!

Last edited by june 7th; 02-09-2014 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Insulting.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

Do you agree?

Disagree?
What does "accept God" mean? It might help if you defined God. The God Christians worship?

There are MILLIONS of people on this earth who believe in and accept a creator. Does the Native American who believes in the Great Spirit get included as accepting God? How about the Pagan who accepts many Gods? Does he have to pick a favorite to qualify as accepting God?

Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:

Do you agree?

Disagree?
I'd have to say "no" since there is, in my estimation, no god to ultimately accept. My hope would be that all will eventually come to accept reality, warts and all.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:41 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
No problem. When you write 'God', most people assume it is Biblegod you have in mind. If you write "God", ir becomes a bit more questionable and we might ask whether a sort of non -religion -specific Cosmic Mind is what you mean, but few theist are thinking beyond the god of the Bible and we generally understand that.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
who's god are you talking about,the God of Abraham, the God of the Hindus?..there are many gods. I believe in a Creator, not in one that is written in any sacred book and when my time comes to cross over to the next world I'll sit with my Creator around the sacred fire and have long discussions with him and my ancestors.
Wow...what a cool afterlife perception ptsum...and put forth with such a calm and matter-of-fact "knowing" & conviction to the intuition.

Sitting by a "sacred fire" in the "next world", and having long discussions with the Creator of all and people from the past. It's perceptions like this that can add greatly to the quality of ones personal and emotional life experience.
Thanx for the awesome "visual". You are very good at that.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:35 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
I think the real question should be, if god were real, when will he accept all of mankind w/o strings attached?

He supposedly flooded the earth to reset his creation, that did not work, then he supposedly put laws in place and that also did not work and then he committed suicide for 3 days and that too has not come out roses.

According to believers you still have to work your salvation, IOW suck up to god and this is termed a relationship.

To be saved from what? Hell?

Any twit that invents such a place simply to have an eternal cosmic hissy fit deserves no consideration.

It is pretty evident by that summary, bible god is as man made as all the rest of the known gods. Even the NT provides enough evidence that the early believers also had it figured out, the so called sacrifice did diddly squat so they invented a second coming that has not transpired in 2000 odd years.

Whether you believe or not, we all end up in hell, aka the grave and then it is oblivion. The awkward thing is that I will not get to say "I told you so".

Old 02-08-2014, 05:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:

Do you agree?

Disagree?
I disagree.

Disregarding, for the moment, the thousands of non-Abrahamic religions in the world, look at the divisions within Christianity itself: no two denominations are in agreement about the idea of 'god'.

Trying to resolve those differences has, historically, led to disaster: the Catholic Reformation, the Troubles, the Crusades, and even the post-9/11 anti-Muslim hysteria are all symptoms of a world culture that simply does not want to accept the 'God' idea 'as written', but rather seems intent on destroying itself for the sake of promoting the God of each individual, to the expense of all others.

Sorry if this seems rambly; I'm in stream-of-concious mode again

Safe journey to all,

FNB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality